Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Oct 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2562807)   #26
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Does Monticello Motor Club have a website? Can you give me a link?

I'm not familiar with it at all, but would love to check out info on it...

If mountainstar endorses it, the place is worth a good, long look...I respect his opinions.
http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/

The cool thing about this track is it's in the Catskills and down an empty county road with a nondescript entrance and security gate. You would have to purposefully go looking for it to find it.

Some of the members fly in with helicopters from NYC.

It's a nice place and I hope I get to go back.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2562943)   #27
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone mentioned that the FIA sets the cars-on-track-maximum for each track, based on a formula that includes length, width, duration, and whether single or multiple classes are included in the race? That maximum is published by IMSA for each event in its Supplementary Regulations. Chapter 1, paragraph 3.12 specifies a maximum of 35 cars at Lime Rock for the 2009 American Le Mans Series Northeast Grand Prix.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2562966)   #28
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yes, the FIA formula has been mentioned in this thread.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2562973)   #29
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Yes, the FIA formula has been mentioned in this thread.
I see that. The calculation was incorrect, setting the maximum at 32. It's easier to check the IMSA Supplemental Regs.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2562992)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/

The cool thing about this track is it's in the Catskills and down an empty county road with a nondescript entrance and security gate. You would have to purposefully go looking for it to find it.

Some of the members fly in with helicopters from NYC.

It's a nice place and I hope I get to go back.
i checked out the website when the track was first mentioned here (cause i never heard of it) and it looks pretty damn nice. i think they are trying to do something similar to this place in the Dawsonville Area (North of ATL, GA).

beautiful facility but it is unfortunate that it is private and always will be seemingly. one day, when i have money, i'll be able to ship my car there and fly in by Chopper for a weekend of tracking it in the Catskills.

i still don't see the ALMS moving away from LimeRock for a while.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 01:58 (Ref:2563051)   #31
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IMSA supplemental regulations for the 2009 Northeast Grand Prix allowed for 35 cars to accepted for qualifying and the race:

http://www.imsaracing.net/2009/event...upp%20Regs.pdf

See Article 3.12 on page 2

I think 35 is the number of pit stalls they have at LRP
Old 17 Oct 2009, 03:46 (Ref:2563066)   #32
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
i checked out the website when the track was first mentioned here (cause i never heard of it) and it looks pretty damn nice. i think they are trying to do something similar to this place in the Dawsonville Area (North of ATL, GA).

beautiful facility but it is unfortunate that it is private and always will be seemingly. one day, when i have money, i'll be able to ship my car there and fly in by Chopper for a weekend of tracking it in the Catskills.

i still don't see the ALMS moving away from LimeRock for a while.
Lime Rock is a staple for ALMS. Now that it is fairly close to me I haven't made it there yet but hope to next year.

Problem with a lot of these country club tracks like Monticello is they overestimate the revenue brought in by members and after a while they have to start taking other business to keep cash coming in the door.

Monticello was supposed to be completely exclusive to members, but it wasn't long before they were taking business from elsewhere to keep the doors open. A lot of the buildings they were supposed to build hadn't happened when I was there and last I heard a few months ago that hadn't changed. Beautiful place and setting though with a lot of potential if they ever wanted to go the racing route.

I hope it's not one of those places overgrown with foliage in 30 years that we lament it's passing and unfulfilled potential, like some other tracks.

There is another track in the USA that will remain unnamed but they have visions of reverting back from mixed use to a more country club setting, but I just don't think that will work, even when the economy recovers 5-10 years down the road. Ultimately you have to have a variety of business to keep a track going.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2564043)   #33
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
The IMSA supplemental regulations for the 2009 Northeast Grand Prix allowed for 35 cars to accepted for qualifying and the race:

http://www.imsaracing.net/2009/event...upp%20Regs.pdf

See Article 3.12 on page 2

I think 35 is the number of pit stalls they have at LRP
As has been said the FIA formula is used, and pit stalls is NOT part of it.

Quote:
The FIA sets the cars-on-track-maximum for each track, based on a formula that includes length, width, duration, and whether single or multiple classes are included in the race? That maximum is published by IMSA for each event in its Supplementary Regulations. Chapter 1, paragraph 3.12 specifies a maximum of 35 cars at Lime Rock for the 2009 American Le Mans Series Northeast Grand Prix.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2566466)   #34
KSR88
Rookie

United States
California
KSR88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the series is successful with alot of prototypes and GT's--Lime Rock is a wrecking yard----despite the changes it isn't suitable for cars this fast and having to pass GT's
Lime Rock is worse then many of the so called country club tracks--wait a second -it is a country club tack!
What it has is location in the NE market---back in the day when Bridgehampton was running Lime Rock was only a club track!
Bridgehampton would get the USRRC and the FIA-GT-Bridgehampton Double 500---Lime Rock the F-Vee festival.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2566616)   #35
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Lime Rock picked up Trans-Am and IMSA quite some time ago.

It would be much better in terms of traffic without those two chicanes, and there REALLY is no reason for that abomination at West Bend. They cocked-up The Uphill with the new sequence that makes it decidedly more critical to get driver's left on approach in order to have a good line through the complex.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2566751)   #36
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i pretty much hate what they have done to LR as well but it always has been quick as hell, unique, small and simple ...that was the appeal for me, but with the chicanes have taken away some of that appeal.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2567235)   #37
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the permanent chicanes much more than old temporary cone one.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2567486)   #38
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I'm not sure though that the cone one led to as many crashes in 19 seasons as the new complex did in 2008 alone.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2577761)   #39
ajcjr
Rookie

United States
Long Islan NY, USA
ajcjr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
being from LI this is my home track as well and i think its a great track for this race and it makes it a little bit more challenging with all of the cars on it. You have to be quick and make your moves quick!!
Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2584288)   #40
TwoSeatsOrLess
Rookie

United States
CA
TwoSeatsOrLess should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I'm not sure though that the cone one led to as many crashes in 19 seasons as the new complex did in 2008 alone.
Agreed. This is really what it all comes down to, safety. Further, the P1 cars should really run by themselves as passing the slower cars is just too dangerous on such a tight course.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2584328)   #41
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
There aren't enough P1 cars for that; there aren't even enough P1 and P2 cars over here at present to do that and have a healthy looking field for doing split races. Yes, IMSA did it, but they had two distinctive prototype classes running at the same time, and they had 20-26 prototypes total on track at once.

I think the milti-class traffic is a good thing, even at Lime Rock, but this track requires the drivers to use their heads a little more. It obviously makes a runaway performance, particularly at Lime Rock, much more difficult. It would certainly help though if they'd go back to using the old West Bend.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2598989)   #42
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I wish they'd go back to the old West Bend as well.

As for those suggesting a New York or PA replacement track, those states aren't in New England.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2599056)   #43
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As for those suggesting a New York or PA replacement track, those states aren't in New England.
what other courses could they possibly go to in New England then?

sorry, i'm from north Georgia....anything from the eastern shore (DELMARVA) north and that is east of Ohio is New England to me.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2599112)   #44
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
what other courses could they possibly go to in New England then?

sorry, i'm from north Georgia....anything from the eastern shore (DELMARVA) north and that is east of Ohio is New England to me.
New England is CT, RI, NH, VT, and ME.

NY and PA is part of the TriState Area, which includes NY, PA, and NJ. MA to VA, including DE is the Mid-Atlantic. NC down is The South.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2599126)   #45
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
New England is CT, RI, NH, VT, and ME.

NY and PA is part of the TriState Area, which includes NY, PA, and NJ. MA to VA, including DE is the Mid-Atlantic. NC down is The South.
Massachusett's not New England? Hell, better tell the Pilgrims. Funny, since Connectitcut is between Massachusets and New York.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2599131)   #46
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
Massachusett's not New England? Hell, better tell the Pilgrims. Funny, since Connectitcut is between Massachusets and New York.
MA is included, just had a brain fart.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 02:37 (Ref:2599196)   #47
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
not to make this a geography thread, but VA, in the colonial days and during the War of Northern Aggression was considered the South. looks like it could go with anyone's opinion these days.

regardless, is there a NE track that could host an ALMS event other than LR? i'd like to see them continue to race there, even tho the new sections are lame, compared to the old layout, but it could be a neccesary evil.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 03:54 (Ref:2599220)   #48
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Is Watkins Glen considered North East for you? I know why it can't currently happen, just saying....
Old 14 Dec 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2599406)   #49
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Is Watkins Glen considered North East for you? I know why it can't currently happen, just saying....
Part of me has been pondering the idea of the LM Intercontinental Cup and it's future. Currently, the ALMS would be (or maybe has been) turned down by the powers that be (those in charge of Watkins Glen) but would the ACO?

Maybe it's just optimism but I have a hope that the ACO would want to expand in the future to some classic tracks/distances (6 hours at the Glen). Maybe they would have a little more clout than the direct "opposition" to Grand-Am.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2599478)   #50
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
yes i consider the Glen Northeast, and would be great to the ALMS run up through the esses, but the NE from previous post was New England for Matt and not North East. sorry...need to be more detailed next time cause it's all Yankeeville to me.