Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you want to win the Drivers' Championship?
Mark Webber 68 55.74%
Lewis Hamilton 24 19.67%
Fernando Alonso 10 8.20%
Jenson Button 15 12.30%
Sebastian Vettel 5 4.10%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Sep 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2762736)   #26
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Those are my two choices, but mostly for different reasons. Please may I have two votes to keep the peace with in the family?
No. That defeats the object of the poll.

I voted for Hamilton. I really do think he would have walked it if he'd had the sort of car advantage that Vettel and Webber have had for much of the season. Even though Webber is leading the championship, based on Red Bull's ability to make a hash of it when it seems like they should be dominating, I'm just not convinced that he's going to win it. They seem to have a real problem getting the car off the line at the start of the race, and Hamilton isn't going to help out all the time by crashing out.

The other 3 I'm not really sure are genuinely in it, and I don't really think any of them deserve it. Alonso has been fairly inconsistent and has made a lot of mistakes by his standards, and without a couple of no-scores for Hamilton and Webber he might have too much to do. Button has for the most part been too far behind Hamilton (Monza was the exception rather than the rule) to look like he's genuinely in the running, and Vettel has made too many stupid mistakes. Even though Monza was a big result for turning it back into a 5-way fight, I still think that, barring disasters in Singapore, it's really between the top two, and I would like to see Hamilton win it because Monza aside I think he's been the best driver over the season so far.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 21 Sep 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2762758)   #27
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
No. That defeats the object of the poll.

I voted for Hamilton. I really do think he would have walked it if he'd had the sort of car advantage that Vettel and Webber have had for much of the season. Even though Webber is leading the championship, based on Red Bull's ability to make a hash of it when it seems like they should be dominating, I'm just not convinced that he's going to win it. They seem to have a real problem getting the car off the line at the start of the race, and Hamilton isn't going to help out all the time by crashing out.

The other 3 I'm not really sure are genuinely in it, and I don't really think any of them deserve it. Alonso has been fairly inconsistent and has made a lot of mistakes by his standards, and without a couple of no-scores for Hamilton and Webber he might have too much to do. Button has for the most part been too far behind Hamilton (Monza was the exception rather than the rule) to look like he's genuinely in the running, and Vettel has made too many stupid mistakes. Even though Monza was a big result for turning it back into a 5-way fight, I still think that, barring disasters in Singapore, it's really between the top two, and I woulid like to see Hamilton win it because Monza aside I think he's been the best driver over the season so far.
Fair enough. I never expected an exception to be made for me.

I've voted for Webber because I think he deserves it and I doubt he will get another chance like this. Next year Vettel may well fulfil his yet untapped potential.

For other reasons I would be very happy for Hamilton to win, so that's fine. He has driven the best this year.

For other reasons again I would be happy for Button to win, but I doubt it's going to happen.

Vettel was my original pick for the title, but so far I don't think he deserves it.

I don't much like Teflonso, but when he drives as well as he did at Monza I see the driver who was until quite recently regarded as the best.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2762760)   #28
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Hammy I hope, if not Jenson
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Sep 2010, 23:14 (Ref:2762794)   #29
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I think probably Lewis Hamilton or Mark Webber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Lewis Hamilton or Jenson Button.

Failing that, Mark Webber.
Same here.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2762802)   #30
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love for Webber to win, this is probably his only good chance.
Failing that, I'll go for Button.
If not those two then Massa or someone, I just don't like Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel - it just seems to me like they all think they're entitled to win it, it really gets my goat.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 23:56 (Ref:2762803)   #31
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I don't much like Teflonso, but when he drives as well as he did at Monza I see the driver who was until quite recently regarded as the best.
I wanna see Fernando win,
1) because he drives the Ferrari
2) because I have wanted him there for years

I wonder if Monza was the turning point. Brundle mentioned dinner out with Alonso over the weekend and he spoke of just how relaxed he came across. Maybe he's moving onto a different level now. i feel alot of his mistakes were due to pushing the car beyond it's limits.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2762804)   #32
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber
Hamilton
Alonso
Vettel
Button
Old 22 Sep 2010, 01:41 (Ref:2762813)   #33
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber
Hamilton
Button
Alonso
Vettel
Old 22 Sep 2010, 03:28 (Ref:2762826)   #34
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink

Well, as a neutral, I'm going for the scientifically proven 'Who would you most like to go for a beer with' approach, in no particular order.
Webber (unless he drinks Fosters then it's time for a rethink)
Alonso would have tales to tell, and San Miguel isn't a bad drop.
Button bet he could knock back a few pints of 'Old Peculiar' (yes, beard stereotyping is rife)
Hamilton tales as above and no doubt an attractive entourage, not that keen on Champagne though.
Vettel, is he old enough to drink? A few Weisse beers could be interesting.

I would have loved to see Schumacher take the crown simply for the huge cash injection it would have put into the sport.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 03:43 (Ref:2762829)   #35
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Webber
Button
Alonso
Old 22 Sep 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2762852)   #36
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso or Vettel.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2762867)   #37
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber.

Hope next year Williams has a car in which Rubeno can compete for a title, he really deserves one, yet it won't be handed on a silver platter to him.

If Alonso can come an win it then he really seserves it however.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 09:58 (Ref:2762932)   #38
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber.

I think he deserves it, he has had to work hard through badly performing teams and is from the wrong continent as far as motorsport is concerned (Aussie's certainly have a harder road when it comes to sponsorship and being picked up by teams).

I think it'd be great for someone like that to win the championship compared to the "prodigies", who are no doubt extremely talented (which is how they get in that position) but also very lucky to always have been in good teams.

All that said, I think it will be Hamilton that wins it.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2762934)   #39
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
If not those two then Massa or someone, I just don't like Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel - it just seems to me like they all think they're entitled to win it, it really gets my goat.
I think the best drivers have always had something of a sense of entitlement - it's nothing new with those three.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 22 Sep 2010, 10:15 (Ref:2762938)   #40
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I think people should remember that the question isn't: Who do you think is a nice bloke?
Old 22 Sep 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2762952)   #41
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I want to say Mark Webber but my mind is swaying to one of the McLaren boys.... I think Hamilton.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2762958)   #42
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber.Clearly the best beard.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2762960)   #43
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Chris View Post
Button bet he could knock back a few pints of 'Old Peculiar' (yes, beard stereotyping is rife)
Button does look like he might enjoy a bit of real ale.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2762968)   #44
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I think people should remember that the question isn't: Who do you think is a nice bloke?
The question is who do you want to win, people are quite entitled to want a nice bloke to win just becuase he is a nice bloke.

Equally people are free to want the cheating b***** to win because he can grind the others into the dust.

I don't see people should be criticised whichever way they view it.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 12:08 (Ref:2762980)   #45
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
The question is who do you want to win, people are quite entitled to want a nice bloke to win just becuase he is a nice bloke.
I'm not attempting to restrict people's freedom to vote as they choose but I think when people start nominating the likes of Barrichello we're in X-Factor territory.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2762989)   #46
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think the best drivers have always had something of a sense of entitlement - it's nothing new with those three.
I never said it was new, only that I don't like it - it's one of a list of reasons why I never liked Schumi. I'm not old enough to remember Senna or Prost etc, so I cannot comment of those guys or earlier.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2763003)   #47
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
I never said it was new, only that I don't like it - it's one of a list of reasons why I never liked Schumi. I'm not old enough to remember Senna or Prost etc, so I cannot comment of those guys or earlier.
Senna took having a sense of entitlement to whole new levels.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2763043)   #48
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Button
Webber
Hamilton
Alonso
Vettel
Old 22 Sep 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2763045)   #49
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
To be fair, the championship contenders have been making all the right noises in their PR-like comments recently. Alonso and Hamilton for instance have said such stuff as "We mustn't underestimate the strength of our rivals" etc. (I'm paraphrasing). So I don't really see this entitlement thing.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2763051)   #50
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
They might be getting the PR guff right, but I'm sure when they're done with the platitudes they ultimately each think that they are entitled to win it - the most successful drivers down the years have tended to think that winning is their right, I don't see why these guys would be any different. However, it doesn't bother me in the slightest - if I was better at my job than nearly everybody else doing it, I would probably think I was entitled to be made a partner. Sadly for me I'm not, so I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
Hope next year Williams has a car in which Rubeno can compete for a title, he really deserves one, yet it won't be handed on a silver platter to him.
Didn't he have a car that could compete for a title last year and got so sidetracked moaning about the team that he forgot to win enough races?