Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Aug 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3292082)   #151
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
It's Marlboro that pays Alonso's eye watering retainer. Santander doesn't bring enough to do that and run a team.
In that case would Marlboro be willing to carry on paying Alonso if he left for Lotus and continue to sponsor Ferrari?
Old 20 Aug 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3292114)   #152
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know what you're getting at, but that 'dream team' followed Schumacher and had he (and they) remained at Benetton, it's entirely possible that Enstone would be among the most successful outfits of all time. They wouldn't have gone without him... and without them Ferrari would have been what they were in the 80s and early 90s.
the one thing i would add to chunterer's comment is imo other than 2003 and maybe 2000 no one else made a car capable of winning a title and certainly no one was in a position to compete financially with Ferrari (well maybe Toyota but thats another story)

its hindsight so maybe if MS didnt go to Ferrari he would have brought these guys to Mclaren (for example) and they would have dominated that period but Ferrari still would have outspent them so hard to say.

Quote:
It's Marlboro that pays Alonso's eye watering retainer. Santander doesn't bring enough to do that and run a team.
weren't Marlboro also willing to pay both Alonso and Kimi in 2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
In that case would Marlboro be willing to carry on paying Alonso if he left for Lotus and continue to sponsor Ferrari?
like what they ended up doing to Kimi, they might willing to pay Alonso to sit out a year which might work if he is waiting for the 2015 RB drive.

oddly these Kimi to Ferrari rumours all leave me feeling that Massa is the one with the safe seat though.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3292126)   #153
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Someone could tell me what changed since Ferrari dumped Kimi that makes them want him more than Alonso.

If Marlboro pays Alonso's contract, they have weight to decide if he stays or if he goes rather than Montezomolo desires, and in this case, the whole Ferrari mentality is a myth going around the paddock.

There are some black holes in those rumours that prevent them to have some credit. As much as I know that the F1 world is unpredictable somethings just doesn't fit.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3292148)   #154
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'm not convinced Ferrari wouldn't have been equally strong with another decent driver or even 2 equal ones during that 'halcyon' period.

That car was so well made that any one of the top dogs could've won titles with that kind of equipment superiority in some of those seasons.

As to the Kimi, Alonso swap, why the heck would Fernando do that? They wouldn't have enough to pay him unless Santander go with him?!
I'd agree with you about the car. That's why I don't rate TGF as highly as Prost, Senna, Stewart, Clark or Fangio, Moss, et al

But the team of four, three of whom came via Benetton, made up the group.
As you say any one of several drivers would have done well in that car. Like Barrichello, Irvine, Salo etc....
Old 21 Aug 2013, 03:31 (Ref:3292240)   #155
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I'd agree with you about the car. That's why I don't rate TGF as highly as Prost, Senna, Stewart, Clark or Fangio, Moss, et al

But the team of four, three of whom came via Benetton, made up the group.
As you say any one of several drivers would have done well in that car. Like Barrichello, Irvine, Salo etc....
Why I don't rate Schumacher that highly....
Just watching the replay of his hit on Coulthard at Spa in 1998... He simply didn't see where he was until it was too late...

And when Vettel hit Button at Spa 2010... Well ...who did that .... .
Old 21 Aug 2013, 03:44 (Ref:3292243)   #156
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm....if Lotus won't break the bank for Kimi.....and Kimi does not end up with Ferrari...and RBR overlooked Kimi....will Steve Robertson have bid Kimi out of F1 altogether?
Old 21 Aug 2013, 06:17 (Ref:3292275)   #157
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone would have done well in a 88 or 90 .. ah, no, I am not going there. Not going to the "did he lift or not" debate either. I am just surprised this stuff still comes up.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3292289)   #158
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=Teretonga;3292240]Why I don't rate Schumacher that highly....
Just watching the replay of his hit on Coulthard at Spa in 1998... He simply didn't see where he was until it was too late...

QUOTE]

Old 21 Aug 2013, 07:48 (Ref:3292301)   #159
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Anyone would have done well in a 88 or 90 .. ah, no, I am not going there. Not going to the "did he lift or not" debate either. I am just surprised this stuff still comes up.
You shouldn't be surprised
Old 21 Aug 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3292353)   #160
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Who wanted a debate?
It comes up because people watch old videos.
There isn't any argument or need for discussion.
There wasn't a need when it happened. There isn't a need for one now.