Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jul 2017, 23:11 (Ref:3754911)   #626
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm not surprised. What was more surprising was Sauber putting together a deal with Honda in the first place, considering the issues with the PU.
Last year's Ferrari engines appear to be very little better than the Honda lump and are probably orders of magnitude more expensive than what was proposed by Honda. So on the surface the Honda deal would appear to provide the possibility of a developing PU and less cost!
Old 28 Jul 2017, 13:20 (Ref:3755077)   #627
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
and are probably orders of magnitude more expensive than what was proposed by Honda. So on the surface the Honda deal would appear to provide the possibility of a developing PU and less cost!
But not if the Ferrari lumps are provided cheap because Sauber 'opt' to run a Ferrari protege in Leclerc...
Old 29 Jul 2017, 03:00 (Ref:3755269)   #628
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
But not if the Ferrari lumps are provided cheap because Sauber 'opt' to run a Ferrari protege in Leclerc...
Good point!
Old 30 Jul 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3756098)   #629
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They certainly improved today, with Alonso 6th and Vandoorne 10th. I hope they continue to improve.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 18:23 (Ref:3756108)   #630
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good to see
Old 30 Jul 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3756155)   #631
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
yes finally the honda unit seems to be improving
Old 30 Jul 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3756165)   #632
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think people need to realise that you can't say the Honda unit is improving. Fred has always said the chassis is good enough and this is a track where chassis matters more than horsepower. So I don't expect the same result at Spa and Monza
Old 30 Jul 2017, 21:27 (Ref:3756189)   #633
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think people need to realise that you can't say the Honda unit is improving. Fred has always said the chassis is good enough and this is a track where chassis matters more than horsepower. So I don't expect the same result at Spa and Monza
Nor do I (yet) but at least the power units lasted the race distance this time, that's a step forward but of course it is only one race at this stage.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 23:06 (Ref:3756211)   #634
insane014
Rookie

insane014 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Nor do I (yet) but at least the power units lasted the race distance this time, that's a step forward but of course it is only one race at this stage.
There are rumors about PU upgrade at Spa. Is that plausible?
Old 31 Jul 2017, 00:11 (Ref:3756217)   #635
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
You'd think that with the summer break Honda might have a little more time without the pressure of running races to bring in an upgrade. Logical to do it for Spa as it'll get a good workout at a power track, if it's ready.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 04:05 (Ref:3756240)   #636
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso is that good, although over shadowed by the talent and teams Seb and Ham have been with.
in the same Maclaren with Ham it was pettiness and I should be automatic #1 as champion... Ham is very good and Maclaren with ron dennis was his team.

Sebastian is also freaking great, and in Ferrari - alonso was in the awkward years- the team couldnt pull it together.

let's hope Honda rises soon enough.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 05:13 (Ref:3756589)   #637
wimiu012uk
Rookie

wimiu012uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the teams allowed to use whatever engines they want in the Hungary test ?
If so will Honda have several different more powerful PU's to try ? or have they run out of ideas on how to get more power along with reliability.
I know these units take time to install, but surely they could run one new/upgraded unit per day, installing the different units overnight.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3757963)   #638
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I see that according to Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ault-this-year) Honda are claiming they're going to overtake Renault by the end of the year. Knowing his innate ability of being in the wrong place at the wrong time does this confirm that Alonso will stay at McLaren and they will have Renault engines next season?
Old 7 Aug 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3757967)   #639
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
After they only just had their first problem free race of the season, they're already claiming they will overtake Renault. Leave it ou
Old 7 Aug 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3757978)   #640
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As a Honda fan it's difficult to be optimistic given prior promises and expectations have not been met. But with that being said... things seem to be trending in the right direction. Reliability is improving. It seems like they are making progress on incremental improvements to the total power unit as well as ongoing mapping. Alonso may be playing tricks with late race engine modes to get fastest laps, but his gap to the front late race (even when not trying to get fast lap) is getting better.

If Renault performance remains static (not a given for sure), I can imagine Honda pulling even with them. Assuming there is not a catastrophic issues (such as Honda leaving the sport), I think they will generally get it right and be "in the mix", but I don't see them overhauling Mercedes before this engine spec ends (2021). But, I have read that people feel if they pull equal to 2017 Renault, that might be better than 2016 Mercedes. But everyone is getting incrementally better and this is 2017, so 2016 power specs don't count much unless your objective is to beat up on the customer teams using older engines.

My larger fear right now is Honda rushing an improved spec and introducing reliability issues. They are under pressure to demonstrate improvements to McLaren and/or other teams that may be a customer in 2018. But with things looking better and better, they may have some room to do the right thing and not rush improvements.

They were testing new stuff in the Hungary test days, but it is not clear if it was incremental improvements, or a test of the next spec (that is expected to have a number combustion chamber design and maybe a new turbo), or a combo of both.

Richard
Old 7 Aug 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3757981)   #641
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An introduction of new spec parts will likely mean rear of field race starts for McLaren for the penalties for using more than their allowance
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Aug 2017, 14:34 (Ref:3757983)   #642
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
An introduction of new spec parts will likely mean rear of field race starts for McLaren for the penalties for using more than their allowance
It seems that McLaren/Honda has specific tracks (that are not particularly power tracks) in which they don't want to introduce a new spec and incur penalties so that they can score maximum points. But for power tracks (in which points may not be expected), they may be more likely to introduce a new spec and take the penalty??? Spa and Monza are power tracks right? Might we see a new spec after the summer break???

I think taking penalties at this point is just a given. At some point, if a promised upgrade is worth it, then they will do it. Assuming reliability is good, I expect they will also try to factor in the expected longevity of a new unit as well in the decision making process on when to introduce a new spec.

To reduce mileage on newer specs, they probably will also run older specs in things like FP1 (which I think they can do, they just have to pick a spec from their pool of "good" units for qualifying/race)

Richard
Old 7 Aug 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3758001)   #643
S griffin
Veteran

Yes Hungaroring went well for them because a) their chassis is good and b) horsepower doesn't matter as much
Old 11 Aug 2017, 00:16 (Ref:3758701)   #644
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes Hungaroring went well for them because a) their chassis is good and b) horsepower doesn't matter as much
Hopefully it sends a clear message to McLaren's technical partner to pull their socks up!
Old 11 Aug 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3758880)   #645
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Hopefully it sends a clear message to McLaren's technical partner to pull their socks up!
Indeed, but then Spa last year should've been a catalyst based on Alonso's performance in an underpowered car on a power circuit....

I do think though, that Honda won't make any drastic cock ups any more. It will be a case of the right path but how quickly they speed that path up.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3758959)   #646
S griffin
Veteran

If they continue the reliability they had in Hungary they at least starting to go in the right direction
Old 12 Aug 2017, 13:50 (Ref:3758981)   #647
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Agreed. But one of McLaren-Honda's problems, as well as the lack of pace and unreliability, has been the gap - well, yawning chasm, really - between their rhetoric and ambition on the one hand and their performance on the other. I keep having to remind myself that there is no immutable law that McLaren will recover and fight at the front, and that BRM, Lotus, Brabham and Tyrrell all won championships before declining and finally going into death spirals.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3759217)   #648
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Agreed. But one of McLaren-Honda's problems, as well as the lack of pace and unreliability, has been the gap - well, yawning chasm, really - between their rhetoric and ambition on the one hand and their performance on the other. I keep having to remind myself that there is no immutable law that McLaren will recover and fight at the front, and that BRM, Lotus, Brabham and Tyrrell all won championships before declining and finally going into death spirals.
😲
Old 14 Aug 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3759354)   #649
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post

Good God!
Old 14 Aug 2017, 19:35 (Ref:3759404)   #650
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ASCII Man, you do realise you've just posted an animated gif. I thought I'd mention it just in case.