Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 3 Oct 2003, 15:52 (Ref:739510)   #1
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ginetta Racing

I'm thinking of entering the Ginetta championship in 2004.Have any competitors got any idea of running costs for this series, or can recommend any cars for sale/hire?
Old 3 Oct 2003, 18:12 (Ref:739647)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooh now I think we have a mamber on this board who races in that. If not I'll find you a link.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 18:29 (Ref:739664)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Right.

Here's somebody who races one http://www.epsracing.co.uk/

and here's the Ginetta website addy.

http://www.ginettacars.com/index.htm

Another racer:

http://www.pmtmotorsport.co.uk/
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:31 (Ref:741714)   #4
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only just noticed this!!

I competed in last year's championship and also this year's..

Redlake, feel free to get in touch, best contacting me by e-mail at the moment as I'm out of the country a lot. I'll try and answer any questions I can..

There's the last round at Thruxton in two weeks time and then also a non-championship double header special at Donington. Free tickets are available for Donington, there's a thread somewhere on here about it (it's a Renault festival weekend - loads and loads of Renaults, plus a few celebs thrown in, with us (Ginetta's) and Formula Saloons chucked in as well)

EPS
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:33 (Ref:741717)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hi,

Why not give a few of us an insight? Over the past few years these cars have improved their performance. A few were out to play at Spa this year. (Was that you parked next to me in the paddock?).

I'd be interested in costs, reliability and level of competition etc.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 14:27 (Ref:741986)   #6
ginettag27
Racer

Unfortunately I wasn't at Spa this year was there last year

I think you're referring to the G27R, which has the same chassis, but slightly different body, extra strengthening - as it competed in the Europa Series, slicks and an aero package. Plus the engine is a 2 litre zetec (Hill House Hammond G20s only have a 1.8, with Pectel ECU), but has twin carbs and develops about 100 more brake than ours (which have about 143 I think).

Cost, I assume you know the car cost which I think is/was 10500. I would suggest that you'd then need to spend about 750-1000 on checking that everything has been done properly and also altering a few things.. Ultimately the costs are kept fairly low because of the regulations controlling engine, diff, gearbox and tyres. Ultimately it depends on who is doing the spanner and setup work, although this can also be varied, depending on what you get done, for instance only working on the car yourself, getting a known team to give you a base setup, or getting a team to run you. I chose the latter as I am working outside of the country at the moment and my expertise is with computers, definitely not car setup and fixing them! I would say that we've had very few problems if any, with our engines, modifications have been allowed which have made them more resilient, such as Raceline sumps and enlarged radiators. Raceline sumps aren't cheap, but they cost a bit less than a new engine! You will need to fabricate or fit a seat. We fitted Astralap timing systems to the cars. Gearboxes would seem to be the real weakness, as they're standard T5 ones, but once you've got one that works don't change it!! (if it ain't broke.. ) If you're tall you may well need to add to the roll cage to heighten it (provided from Ginetta). Tyre costs.. Seem to have only used about 2-3 sets over the whole season, with quite a lot of Testing. I have spent relatively little this season on repairs, so not a good person to ask, but some have bought quite a few bonnets... I'm on my second one (having had the car for two seasons)

A full price list of parts is available from www.ginettacars.com and their Motorsport menu (I think, or available on request).

Having owned the car from new, it had an upgrade (as did they all), mainly in the form of an updated ECU (about the 100 pound mark I think), although this is now included in the price of cars bought from Ginetta and all the race cars have it, with the possible exception of one which I don't think has raced at all..

I can put you in touch with the guy who has been running our team for the past two seasons, has raced in Ginetta's for about 6-7 years and other forms of motorsport before that (he's also the owner of the lime green car that was at Spa and came fourth), he's also the London Ginetta Dealer. He might also be able to give a better idea of budget and costs involved.

We'll also be at the Donington Double Header, feel free to come along and ask questions.

EPS
Old 25 Oct 2003, 21:48 (Ref:763033)   #7
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have raced a Ginetta for a number of seasons and still own a G27. The best team to race for is Sceptre Racing (Ask for Peter Newell 01353 777199. He is ££££££ but worth every penny). A good mate of mine is selling last years Championship winning car (Andy Cork) send me a PM if you want his number. Great fun to drive. You will need a lot of bonnets and gaffer tape as some of the drivers think they should join you in your cockpit.... The guy that runs the championship is not everyones cup of tea but you don't need to speak to him in a race!!! The only other championship that gives you a similar buzz (sports cars) is TVR Tuscans and you need a big wallet for that!! Richard Hollibon is another good team boss. His spanner man is brill - Dave Coleman. Not sure of any other team as they are all new. If you want to do it cheap then send your car to Sceptre for set up then just take it to the track. Good luck
Old 26 Oct 2003, 18:26 (Ref:763812)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Got back a little earlier from Donington and the Ginetta's are excellent racing for the spectator
Old 26 Oct 2003, 19:21 (Ref:763846)   #9
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
yeh great racing!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 12:23 (Ref:766858)   #10
ginettag27
Racer

The races usually are great for spectators and the drivers!! The cars draft really well and you get a good toe, which makes for close racing.

I can confirm what Speedy57 says, Richard Hollebon and Pete Newell are the ones to be run by.

29 Oct 2003 11:54 Ginetta GT car makes it's first public showing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The G20-GT car was on show at Donington last weekend, for those interested a few photos are here :

http://community.webshots.com/album/97078690llBAQa

Plus there are some G20 photos..

It should be competing in the Cup class next year...

I'll be posting a lot more photos of the GT car on my site on Monday...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------