Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Feb 2004, 09:32 (Ref:865174)   #1
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
The case for the last Jordan seat

So who will it be??? That is the $64,000 question.

Jos Verstappen-journeyman with a lot of sponsorship, has a SMALL amount of talent and this will be his last chance in F1 if he gets the seat.

Allan McNish-was unlucky to be saacked by Toyota after a solid rookie season. Deserves a 2nd chance and is a Brit so B&H will love him.

Ralph Firman-had an OK rookie year in an absolute dog of a car in 03 and had some solid drives in Spain and Malaysia. Also deserves a 2nd year to prove himself in what should be a better car in 04. Also a Brit.

Timo Glock-lots of sponsorship dollars like Verstappen but looks to be headed for the testing role at Jordan.

So, who deserves the last Jordan seat?? And, more importantly, who will get the seat??
Old 6 Feb 2004, 09:48 (Ref:865183)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jos is out of the frame, Trust and Jordan have stopped talking.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:01 (Ref:865203)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thats why there are Trust stickers on the Jordan test car then
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:09 (Ref:865220)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Depending on what you read, it could pan out like this:

Grandprix.com are mentioning Motoyama and Pantano, the Pantano angle could fit as I believe that his management company recently raised more capital from investors.

The extra input from B&H for a British driver, is rumoured not to be definate. From the branding on the car at launch, 'their' previous areas on the car, sidepods and front wing, were blank (apart from EJ's lazarus logo on the sidepod), which could mean that IF they do increase support by say $6M for a Brit, those areas would become B&H branded again.

However, neither of the rumoured drivers budgets are believed to equal the 'Trust' budget Jos was offering and even the extra B&H input (should it happen)is more or less the same, as a net amount.

Firman is alledged to have paid $5M for his drive last year, funded by a group of investors - should they decide to back him again, I would guess that the backing he could bring for 2004 would be more or less equal to Pantano and Motoyama.

McNish, I think only has his CV and experience to bring, he has never been a funded driver (IIRC), even though Ford may like him, and he has been talking to them direct, I can't see them paying any extra to EJ as a result.

On this basis, it could still be Firman, he may be able to bring some money and B&H may increase their budget on a British presence in the team.

The problem for EJ is that none of the British drivers available to him are sufficient to really excite B&H in to wanting to get behind them with substantially more money.IMO

For their angle on this: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12466.html

Last edited by Super Tourer; 6 Feb 2004 at 11:26.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:18 (Ref:865233)   #5
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get B&H to ask for Wilson!

He tested for Jordan before and impressed.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:19 (Ref:865235)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
ST could Ford then reduce the cost of engines to Jordan? If so, assuming B+H up their contribution and Ford reduce engine costs, it could put Allan in a good position?
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:24 (Ref:865243)   #7
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMiller
Get B&H to ask for Wilson!

He tested for Jordan before and impressed.
Is there any way that the EJ14 could fit Heidfeld and Wilson or is the height difference too much?

Last edited by davebreen; 6 Feb 2004 at 10:24.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:41 (Ref:865265)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
ST could Ford then reduce the cost of engines to Jordan? If so, assuming B+H up their contribution and Ford reduce engine costs, it could put Allan in a good position?
Ford Marketing (on 2003 budget figs) contributed $7M to Jordan, itemised as 'other support', I think this was part of EJ's complicated deal he arranged with Ford Europe, who were aiming to exploit the Ford RS brand via Jordan.

However, IMO, the Ford branding on the car looked/looks fairly minor for that sort of backing, so after the somewhat ham fisted way the deal was 'launched', maybe Ford have reviewed the amount of branding they want to use.

The customer engine deals are an important cash flow element to Ford and go to prop up Jaguars engine costs, so I can't see they would reduce the bill in order to place a driver at Jordan, who I don't really believe Ford are that serious about as a partner, certainly not in the way EJ allegedly painted the deal at the time.

Jaguar did say they would 'help' Wilson after the Jaguar debacle, but I'm not sure that help extends to parting with any money. If they do want to help, it would be easier and cheaper to smooth a path for him into CART, where Ford supply's all the engines, and could conceivably arrange a small discount on engine bills to a team that ran JW.

With Allan, his chance at Jordan is purely down to his own merits I think.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:48 (Ref:865268)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
ST could Ford then reduce the cost of engines to Jordan?
Thats the same as paying him to driver really, and Ford just cut Jag's budget, I doubt they would rob Jaguar to pay Jordan.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 11:03 (Ref:865283)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, I think Jordan's best bet would be (financial reasons aside) McNish.

The EJ-13 was a bit of a dog and I think they need someone with a bit of experience to help develop the EJ-14. He has a lot of testing experience with Toyota and Renault.

It's helped them in the past. Damon Hill helped turn the 1998 Jordan into a fairly decent car after a shaky start allowing the victory at Spa, albeit after some of the front-runners crashed. But it was good enough to be in the position to pick up the pieces.

In the end though it will be down to $$$ as always. If B&H really are going to stump up extra cash for a British driver then maybe there is a chance.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 11:09 (Ref:865287)   #11
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The case for the last Jordan seat

Quote:
Originally posted by Skam85
So who will it be??? That is the $64,000 question.
I think it'll be alot more money that decides who gets that seat!
Old 6 Feb 2004, 11:18 (Ref:865298)   #12
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon either Justin Wilson or Allan Mcnish. They have better driving records than people like verstappen or firman, and they could do well at the former great team.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 12:56 (Ref:865377)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he has money I can't see what's wrong with Jos - he'd certainly be better than Firman in my opinion.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 13:44 (Ref:865427)   #14
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO Paying to drive for Jordan would be like paying to end your F1 career.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 13:52 (Ref:865433)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think if Allan gets a Jordan seat he'll help drive the team foward a bit - they'll do better than last season (the win in Brazil aside)
Old 6 Feb 2004, 13:57 (Ref:865444)   #16
Bridget Stone
Racer

Bridget Stone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF jordan will be racing at all, this season. They seem to even be employing child labour to cut the costs:

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/200.../diapo_173.jpg

love, bridget
Old 6 Feb 2004, 13:59 (Ref:865448)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, F1 is heading to Asia so...
Old 6 Feb 2004, 14:11 (Ref:865460)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bridget Stone
IF jordan will be racing at all, this season.
Ah, now Jos is out of contention his fans start this nonsense again.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 14:16 (Ref:865466)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I hope it's McNish, and with the news that Verstappen is out of contention then it may yet be. Firman obviously has a certain claim as the incumbent, but a) he'll need to raise a lot of money again, and b) his rookie year, though solid, wasn't inspirational.

Motoyama seems a distant prospect. No Formula 1 experience, and the wrong side of thirty. If a major Japanese sponsor came along, I suppose it might happen, but I'd be surprised.

Pantano is a good driver but does he have the financial backing? Equally, his career does seem to have plateaued slightly in F3000. Still, the same could have been said of Firman in Formula Nippon until 2003.

Presumably rumours linking Irv the Swerve to the seat have now faded. He could pay for the drive himself, but I think Edmund may be enjoying retirement too much, when he's not a fugitive from justice, of course...

If I had to predict an outcome, I'd say it was pretty much a 50/50 toss-up between Firman and McNish.

But EJ needs to decide soon. Melbourne isn't so very far away.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 14:17 (Ref:865468)   #20
Bridget Stone
Racer

Bridget Stone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
This was meant as "irony", not "sarcasm".

I wish Jordan all the best, cause i really cant say who's to blame...Some voices suggest that Jos salary-demands were way to high...but history proves that f-1 negogiations are the best kept secret ever,
so we will never know exactly what happened.

love, bridget
Old 6 Feb 2004, 16:51 (Ref:865596)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are so many drivers out there looking for a seat, that its hard to nail down who it could be.

A couple of drivers that weren't named here, were Yoong, who could keep the Asian market happy and come with Malaysian money,(Eddie loves Asia) and T Bell, who could finally get America involved in F1 again, and make Jordan the sweetheart team for the American fans. Both are outside shots at best, but if they have the cash...

Other than that, I like Wilson, McNish, and Firman equally. I'm actually disappointed that Firman couldn't hold the seat, as I thought he did rather well against Fisi. Was it a money thing?

Danica Patrick
Old 6 Feb 2004, 18:36 (Ref:865688)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bridget Stone
IF jordan will be racing at all, this season. They seem to even be employing child labour to cut the costs:

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/200.../diapo_173.jpg

love, bridget
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Are you German? :confused:

Last edited by FIRE; 6 Feb 2004 at 18:38.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 18:54 (Ref:865699)   #23
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Björn Wirdheim???? - He is the F3000 champ and should be in F1.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 18:58 (Ref:865701)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
What about Björn Wirdheim???? - He is the F3000 champ and should be in F1.
Will he be not Jaguar's testdriver?
Old 6 Feb 2004, 19:21 (Ref:865720)   #25
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How did Glock get himself so much seat time? Does anybody know if he is scheduled to be in spain with Jordan next week. I'd like to see Wilson in the seat but an important point was made earlier about the development work that Damon did with the 1998 car. DH was so under rated for many things. If a driver has never had the experience of driving and improving an excelent car they really dont know what they are aiming for. So for that reason I would go for McNish.