Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Jun 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2483383)   #26
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sheraton View Post
Also, i think everyone that is anti-plato should calm down, including matt neal because you could see that he was aquaplaining and therefore could not control the car.
The initial impact may have been partly due to aquaplaning but Plato made no attempt to back off after that. Once Neal had started to go sideways Plato just kept his foot to the floor.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2483404)   #27
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
The only rant Steve Neal should have is towards Pinkney smashing his car to bits in a driver related error of judgment, hopefully now Pinkney will walk away from it all as he' been dreadful all season.
I thought we'd cleared this up by the fact there would be no TD this year if it wasn't for him. He actually beat Thomo in race one, and in a car that looks like it just isn't working, is doing a respectable job.

A great days racing, Jelley really looking good finally, and Turkington surely favorite for the title now. How unlucky was Paul O'Neill though. He seems to get into good positions only for the car to break on him. Was on for a podium in that last race, I think Gio would have got him.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2483411)   #28
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh, felt sorry for Paul O'Neill, saw the wipers going slow and kinda guessed it was gonna be electrical. Did it get confirmed anywhere what caused it (commentary were suspecting the alternator giving up the ghost).
I think it would have been hard for him to keep 1st, but certainly had a shot at the podium. Hopefully it wont be too long before he gets one.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2483555)   #29
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=awrb;2483404]I thought we'd cleared this up by the fact there would be no TD this year if it wasn't for him. He actually beat Thomo in race one, and in a car that looks like it just isn't working, is doing a respectable job.

He's not doing a respectable job at all and the results and times prove this, I agree he may be a nice bloke but I would suggest he looks at Mark Proctor who has had a similar accident head on, hurt himself, realised to run mid pack and taking his age into consideration has decided to call it a day. If he keeps Thompson in the car then fair enough but it cannot be argued he deserves it on merit, he now proberbly needs to buy a new shell as I would say that crash has written his off.

On a lighter note what does Paul O'Neill have to do to get some luck???, regardless of the lack of points he has proven what a great driver he is and Stephen Jelley has also exceeded expectations for this year.

Can anyone shed some more light on the Morrision situation ,it was a late call which I have a hunch will not see him in the Focus again.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2483592)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
He's not doing a respectable job at all and the results and times prove this, I agree he may be a nice bloke but I would suggest he looks at Mark Proctor who has had a similar accident head on, hurt himself, realised to run mid pack and taking his age into consideration has decided to call it a day. If he keeps Thompson in the car then fair enough but it cannot be argued he deserves it on merit, he now proberbly needs to buy a new shell as I would say that crash has written his off.
Dave Pinkney more than deserves his place at the table. He's a seasoned and experienced racer who regularly turns in decent midfield performances. The conditions in race 3 yesterday were absolutely treacherous and neither Dave's age nor his ability had anything to do with his unfortunate accident.

Mark Proctor suffered a broken vertebrae and has been advised by doctors that if he suffers a similar accident again, he could be left paralyzed. That's been his reason for quitting mid season... and again, had a driver 15 or 20 years his junior suffered a similar accident and been given similar advice, they may well have chosen to take the same action as Mark. Age or his driving ability doesn't really have anything to do with it.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2483769)   #31
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I can't help thinking that if it wasn't for the live TV coverage they would have stopped all the cars on the grid and suspended the race for half an hour until the weather cleared.
+1
It's sad TV schedules matter so much more than driver and marshal safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sheraton View Post
Also, i think everyone that is anti-plato should calm down, including matt neal because you could see that he was aquaplaining and therefore could not control the car.
Well, if you can turn in the corner, you aint aquaplaining... That was deliberate shoddy driving. Collard however gets my worst driver "award" so far this season. Barely goes a race without him putting at least 1 opponent off the road.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2483783)   #32
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
So has Jelley proved anyone wrong today?
Indeed he has. He was helped a little in race by not being in traffic or having to fight for position but fair play to him, from what I saw a mistake free weekend.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2483994)   #33
StevenC
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stanhope
StevenC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgentemente View Post
Pinkney's looked like a hell of an impact,certainly sent the tyres flying up, just caught site of the marshals on post moving swiftly out of the way..

It was we moved rather quickly! The shunt pushed four posts back!

His quote about the re-start was priceless, he moaned that they shouldn't have been racing then came out with "we're not gods you know!"
Old 17 Jun 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2485067)   #34
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
Collard however gets my worst driver "award" so far this season. Barely goes a race without him putting at least 1 opponent off the road.
I'd agree with that, he's made a number of "robust" overtakes this year and somehow gets away with it, not a good display of driving at all.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2486479)   #35
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Plato got two points on his licence. I don't believe the regs allow for a (championship) points deduction. The would be no point giving him a time penalty so that he was demoted a place since it doesn't give Neal the place back and just gives Turkington an extra place. The only other option would be a disqualification which is probably a bit harsh.

Im sure in the past drivers have been deducted points or maybe it was postions, the points on his licence is not much of a punishment, if he gained the place unfairly as the clek of the course has stated then he should have been moved back with a time penalty. The reason it proberbly was not done is to keep Plato in the hunt for the championship. Had it been Turkington the cynic's would have thrown him out of the race to close the points up. Better clarification to the rules of BTCC is required.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2486710)   #36
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Im sure in the past drivers have been deducted points or maybe it was postions, the points on his licence is not much of a punishment, ... Better clarification to the rules of BTCC is required.
http://www.btcc.net/pdf/regulations_2009.pdf Section 4.4
You're right, they can deduct championship points if appropriate. Off the top of my head I can't recall an occasion where that has happened in recent years, but that's not to say it hasn't. Also see section 2.2 - they can deduct championship points if a driver receives 8 or more penalty points on his licence.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2487189)   #37
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No more Team AFN? http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin...N_ex_BTCC.html
Old 21 Jun 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2487848)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
That's the old paint scheme shown on the photos in the ad - is the one that's been out this season the newer chassis and they're selling the old one off? (there was talk at one point of them running two cars wasn't there - is this one of those?)
Old 21 Jun 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2487869)   #39
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure. I didn't know they had two cars on their limited shoestring budget. I was just assuming there was one car that was being shared.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2488126)   #40
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Didn't they have plans to run two cars this season? So I assume (hope ) this is the 2nd car.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2488535)   #41
Icebaby
Veteran

A shame about AFN but it was never going anywhere with the car and lack of budget, one must assume now Hughes also has no budget to run the 1956 MG as it does not take that long for a leg to heel!

Do we assume Thompson is not in the Civic at Snetterton due to a clash with events or is this undecided?, if he is not in the car then who is?
Old 22 Jun 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2488542)   #42
redshoes
Veteran

I thought AFN only had one car, although at one stage they were talking about running a second. I assume the pictures are just old ones.

Hughes is apparently concentrating on his new business, although didn't they say they would be back with a second car from Donington. Somehow I doubt we'll see the MG again.

Thompson should be at Snetterton, the DTC race originally scheduled for that weekend was cancelled.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2489920)   #43
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McMillans Toledo is for sale on Racecarsdirect. £35k.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2490005)   #44
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
That's correct. It's one of his Toledos. He bought two and a bit cars from BTC Racing. It's been for sale on another website for a while now.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2490717)   #45
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for Liam McMillan, they bought two complete cars with engines from BTC Racing. Pre season testing was done with one car with the early 20 valve engine.

At the start of the season, the second car was prepared with the later 16 valve engine. To help with finances, it was decided to sell the 'test car' with the 20 valve engine.

Unfortunately, as Liams accident at Thruxton destroyed his car, the 'test car' was refurbished and has been used since Donington.

As for his Engine problems, they have been documented elswhere.

The team plan to be at their local track Snetterton for the next round.

Rick Kerry has put the Team AFM BMW 120d up for sale. They only ever had the one car. If you look at the advert, it was only put up for sale on June 16.

And yes, the images are of the car during 2008. I don't really see the significance of that?

Almost certainly, Rick will concentrate more time on the Sports Max Championship.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2491042)   #46
Icebaby
Veteran

He may struggle to sell the BMW as its pretty unique to any championship and other cars on sale have more of a racing pedigree, however I wish them luck.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2491053)   #47
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
He may struggle to sell the BMW as its pretty unique to any championship and other cars on sale have more of a racing pedigree, however I wish them luck.
I think the 120D was based on a standard kit offered by BMW Motorsport, so should be useable in quite a few series- as suggested in the advert, it should be eligible for Britcar, Dutch Supercar, the VLN endurance series in Germany etc.

Pity the project has fallen by the wayside- it's always interesting to see someone taking a different approach, even though it hasn't brought them any success