Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Mar 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2413625)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tyred of new laws?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7936534.stm

From 2012 tyres will be grippier, quieter and use less fuel (). Or at least we'll be better informed about them

Good stuff. It is hard to compare different tyre makes at the moment.

With the exception of improving wet/ice/slippery performance I'm not sure tyres need to be grippier. They are very good nowadays and there is an argument that too much grip gives too much confidence and accidents happen at higher speed.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2413655)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Doesn't giving tyres more grip mean they will have to be softer and not last as long, no wonder the manufacturers are welcoming the move.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2413662)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As suggested, I would have thought wet weather/poor surface grip might be a more suitable improvement than dry grip. I hope whoever writes the legislation is sensible enough to include a clause about longevity, otherwise we'll be doing far more environmental damage by virtue of having to change tyres every 10k miles or less.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2413677)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Doesn't giving tyres more grip mean they will have to be softer and not last as long, no wonder the manufacturers are welcoming the move.
You cynic.
And, as if to highlight this, the photo on the beeb news story is of Michelin F1tyres!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
As suggested, I would have thought wet weather/poor surface grip might be a more suitable improvement than dry grip. I hope whoever writes the legislation is sensible enough to include a clause about longevity, otherwise we'll be doing far more environmental damage by virtue of having to change tyres every 10k miles or less.
Yes, a true environmental benefit would come from tyres that last longer.

For the road I don't chase ultimate grip in the dry from tyres. I've not come across a tyre that is truly awful in the dry for ages.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2413708)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
You cynic.
For the road I don't chase ultimate grip in the dry from tyres. I've not come across a tyre that is truly awful in the dry for ages.
Try the cheap Michelin range then. Truly awful. When I changed them to something half decent it transformed the handling. Not just grip but noise and steering feedback.

Regards

Jim
Old 12 Mar 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2414276)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
lol!
Nah, I will steer (pun intended) clear of them!
Old 15 Mar 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2415945)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I am old enough to remember the first generation Michelin X . They would do about a million miles but were about as good as a "nana" skin on ice if it rained
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Mar 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2416000)   #8
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curious, the best tyres I've ever had are Michelins.

Mind you, I haven't had many. Goodyear, Hankook and Michelin in that order.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2416699)   #9
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pirellis on the Jaguars - no complaints at all and Avon sidecar tyres on the Austin 7, now there's a handling experience for you
Old 22 Mar 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2422170)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
P6000 on Jags - a great tyre. Good on the road and I've had class wins with them. Great for learning the limit with as they make a squealing noise before letting go!
Old 24 Mar 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2423372)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I am old enough to remember the first generation Michelin X . They would do about a million miles but were about as good as a "nana" skin on ice if it rained
Your not alone there Gordon,the sidewalls would give out before the tread,as you say,they were just about the worst in the wet though.
I am a fan of the Michelin Pilot sport 2 though,hard waring,very good wet grip and great in the dry,they also tighten up steering input,much more precision.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2423404)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
P6000 on Jags - a great tyre. Good on the road and I've had class wins with them. Great for learning the limit with as they make a squealing noise before letting go!
Funny, P6000s have a reputation for being just about the worst tyres you can put on an Alfa for road use - poor in the dry, useless in the wet.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 09:15 (Ref:2423408)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I have heard negative things about them, but they have always served me well. Had some good results on them in the wet too.
What I liked about them was that they seems to be predictable, very useful when starting out.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 00:02 (Ref:2425677)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
supporting pirellis in general, i've got p zero rossos on my 3 series compact and they're utterly brilliant. there's so much grip i think it's one of the reasons i stopped driving fast - it's no challenge any more. they just keep on sticking. and i totally agree on the predictable thing, though i did wonder whether it was just that i hadn't managed to reach the limit of stick (can't spell the technical word) yet.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2425713)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having never tried Pirelli's myself I cant really comment, however I myself use Goodyear eagle F1 GS-D3's on my Clio and they just hold the road so well, you really have to push the car to the limit before you get any sign of oversteer. I had the same tyres on my Supra too actually and even with that you had to work hard to get the back end sliding out, apart from in the wet of course but thats another story. Really want to get hold of some Michelin Exalto PE2's which have a excellent reputation as a performance tyre, unfortunately they seem to be unavilable here in the UK at the moment and are in the region of £120 each.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2442238)   #16
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I use Firestones - have some [can't remember which] on my road car, whatever they are they're on List 1A and fuelsaver ones. The rears have been on the car for two years now [around 35000 miles] and the fronts needed replacing after 22 months - not bad seeing as they've been used for "more gentle" motorsport events [eg Car Trials, grass autotests] but also for sprinting. Rears will need replacing in a month or two now though.

Also have used Firestone F580Cs which are actually van tyres, also used for rallying because they had to be tyres on List 1A but they have reinforced sidewalls. Also used Colways when they were the control tyre, and about to order up a load of Sportways but never driven on them so not sure what they're like, or how they'll last with wear etc.

Worst tyre setup was when I bought the car - different manafacturer's tyre on each corner - Michelin, Nyang Kang [sp?], and a couple of others!