Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1643745)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tri-Roval

Ovals with infield circuits are notorious in thier difficulty to design but I've decided to have a crack at it.

The Circuit features not just the pitlane in the point of the trioval area, but also a short straight just long enough for a reasonable sized grid to assemble and have a standing start from. So the start line is there but the finish line and lap marker is at the apex of the Trioval.
The turns leading onto and off the back straight have the same high banking while the trioval has little banking at all.
Some of the corners on the road course have a bit of tarmac run off before reaching the gravel traps, others simply have gravel traps.

The Trioval is 1.5 miles (2.4km) in length with the Roval course measuring 3.75 miles (6km)

The lap
Crossing the finish line in the trioval, the cars follow the oval passing the exit from the Start straight and the pit lane before going on through the high banking, braking as soon as the track straightens out (onto the oval back straight) for a 180 degree constant radius left hander. A short straight leads into a left kink and on through the tunnel under the oval. Accelerating through the tunnel, the next turn is a right hand flick that is near flat out for those brave enough.
The Cars pass through the Sector 1 timing point before braking hard the next turn which is a right handed fairly open hairpin. Accelerating hard out of the hairpin, flicking left there is another long run into the first chicane a right left. A short stright then leads into the second hairpin type turn tighter and slower than the first. The next section is a pair of medium length straights, separated by the circuits second chicane. This one more open than the first but too tight to be described as esses. The sector 2 timing point is half way down the second of these straights.
The second striaight leads into a 90 degree left hander with a left hand kink to follow which takes the circuit back through a tunnel into the oval's infield area. The exit from the tunnel leads to a very tight chicane (which drivers hate) the exit of which forms the start of the Infield straight. There is provision along this straight for the teams to hang out their pit boards( the narow blue area at the back of the paddock, using the timing information from the Sector 2 position, however Sector 3 timings are actually taken on this straight.
The infield straight ends with a dead-stop hairpin, A right handed corner that is the tightest on the whole circuit. The exit leads into a long left handed sweeper that ultimately rejoins the the oval on it's back straight as it heads into the banking. Although the radius changes this sweeper and banking combine to form a neck straining 300 degree corner. The banking drops away as the circuit reaches it's conclusion passing the pit entry and the entry to the start grid before crossing the line at apex of the trioval.

The bulk of the seating as you might imagine is around the Trioval area (the blue Cresent), there is however some grandstands outside the trioval at key points of the Road course.

There is provision for an external club circuit (road course) which would have a link section outside the tunnels. It would also be reasonable easy to link the infield area giving an extended Road course which passes through the tunnels into the infield but does not use the Trioval.

As usual comments, suggestions and Edits are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Cookie Roval.jpg  
Old 29 Jun 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1644175)   #2
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do like the oval but I'm not a huge fan of the road course. For a track that isn't that long really there are 5 slow corners which is a lot & the only fast corners come on the oval. Still I can see NASCAR & the IRL racing very well on the oval.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 29 Jun 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1644176)   #3
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Double post!

Old 29 Jun 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1644214)   #4
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
Double post!
What?

Anyway, I think the ovals good, but I agree with AF. The track is a bit short and maybe a bit slow. But as you said, they are hard to come up with.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1644248)   #5
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8_TURBO
What?
he must have accidentally clicked Submit twice and then edited the second post and saying Double Post!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 16:01 (Ref:1644261)   #6
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
he must have accidentally clicked Submit twice and then edited the second post and saying Double Post!
Exactly.

Old 29 Jun 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1644286)   #7
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But wouldn't it say.........

Last edited by V8_TURBO; 29 Jun 2006 at 16:31. Reason: this
Old 29 Jun 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1644415)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My thinking on the road course was that, the long straights would result in less of a compromise on set up from the conventional oval, though obviously the underfloor of the cars would need to be horizontal and not cambered as would be for the full oval.

As for series running the Roval course I had Champcar and Grand Am in mind, possibly GT1 and GT2 from LMS/ALMS though I wouldn't have thought the prototypes running on it.
Perhaps even a WTCC type event, given that the trioval has very little banking it might fit within the FIA rules about banked corners
Old 4 Jul 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1648511)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The Roval is 3.75-miles, the second-longest that I am aware of. Daytona is 3.56-miles (with a 2.5-mile oval instead of just 1.5), and Talladega is 4.0-miles (within a 2.66-mile oval).
Old 7 Jul 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1650287)   #10
althoffj
Rookie

Brazil
althoffj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muito louco!!!

(very cool!!!)