Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 2 Dec 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3481076)   #201
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipp View Post
Does someone knows the displacement of this engine?
To my knowledge its not been released, but in all descriptions of the V6 engine originating from AER they mention many times about V6 features carried over from the 2.0 I4 engine, I know they performed a lot of combustion simulation and validation in relation to the direct-injection system on the 2.0 I4 engine, and that would be a very very costly exercise to repeat, so based on that logic I would say its 3 litres, with the same bore and stroke of the 2.0 I4 engine........time will tell.......but I do know they spent 3 years simulating this V6 engine before they actually made it, so the amount of research that has gone into this engine is already huge........But!.....if I was starting from scratch I would use the biggest capacity possible in order to keep the rpm low and keep frictional losses to a minimum for reduced fuel consumption, so dont be surprised if its over 4 litres!

Having seen the image above, I am surprised they went the twin-turbo route when its only pushing in the region of 600bhp, also it really does make sense to have the exhaust ports inside the V, like Audi have done, this makes the sides of the engine very clean and aero friendly, all the extra parts in the side pods will really choke the aero-flow coming out of the radiators, but I guess they have their reasons, most probably extra drivability from a twin turbo system.......but the engine is fully-stressed, so has no A-frames, so that alone makes it a touch neater to install

But all the above aside, I believe the AER V6 is a very good engine, and Rebellion will be stupid if they dont start using it next year.

Last edited by knighty; 2 Dec 2014 at 15:00.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3481126)   #202
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rebellion would have to increase the length of the gearbox to keep the wheelbase, right?
Old 2 Dec 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3481133)   #203
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If am I not wrong, the P60 AER is a new engine, but however based on the nissan 350Z VQ series. Displacement should be 4.0L
Old 2 Dec 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3481195)   #204
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Autosprint reporting Rebellion may be looking at aer, judd and cosworth for 2015.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3481202)   #205
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would love if they stick two entirely different engines to the R-Ones, like Oak did with their coupes this year. Would make for interesting comparisons too, especially since there's always been considerable performance gaop between #12 and #13 anyway. But admittely that could be too much of a hassle

Cosworth hasn't had great track record for some time now pretty much anywhere (?), their return would be interesting.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3481217)   #206
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
Rebellion would have to increase the length of the gearbox to keep the wheelbase, right?
Most gearboxes interface to the engine via a seperate bell-housing, so it would just be a case of a new thicker bell housing to manage the shorter v6, most people either cnc machine them from solid billet, or laser-sintering is now very popular in the aero and motorsport industries ......the aer v6 lmp1 engine is a completely bespoke design, nothing to do with the v6 nissan gp3 engine also from aer

The word is cosworth did the v6 for the new nissan lmp1, so id be surprised to see a cosworth privateer engine too.......i think its between zytek, judd and aer......the benefit of zytek also being able to offer the KERS system too.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3481270)   #207
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is the nissan expected to be a V6 then?
Old 3 Dec 2014, 05:11 (Ref:3481328)   #208
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They go kers, they lose their (light)weight advantage. The only thing that I can see happening in that scenario is the ACO allow them 2mj a lap with a lower weight. If that doesnt happen, I dont know if theyll bother doing a hybrid.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 22:10 (Ref:3514923)   #209
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An interview with Mike Lancaster from AER, including some hints of LMP2 entrants maybe stepping up to P1.
Still no confirmation of the engine capacity of the P60 though. Why so secretive?

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/k...venture-490573
Old 13 Mar 2015, 22:22 (Ref:3514928)   #210
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are Daytona Prototype engines valid options for P1? I guess that legally yes, but no so sure if they would be competitive.
Old 14 Mar 2015, 01:38 (Ref:3514969)   #211
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
An interview with Mike Lancaster from AER, including some hints of LMP2 entrants maybe stepping up to P1.
Still no confirmation of the engine capacity of the P60 though. Why so secretive?

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/k...venture-490573
That was good, and it appears the AER weighs 108 kg.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3701974)   #212
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...-2018-wec.html
http://www.gp2series.com/Guide-to/The-car-and-engine/

So much for 2014 engine options!

The DSC story says the GP2 Mecachrome is a V6. The GP2 website says it is a V8. I don't follow GP2. Which is it?
Old 12 Jan 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3701981)   #213
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The DSC story says the GP2 Mecachrome is a V6. The GP2 website says it is a V8. I don't follow GP2. Which is it?
Current engine is a V8, they're moving to a turbo V6 in 2018 (I originally thought it was for this year but it seems like they're sticking with the current formula for 2017 too).
Old 12 Jan 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3701988)   #214
Mike E
Veteran

Thanks, Victor!
Old 12 Jan 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3702027)   #215
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
If its a turbo motor it must be the GP3 based V6 from mechachrome, I think a V8 turbo will be too heavy. The Mechachrome V6 is a nice piece of kit, the main feature being the exhaust is in the middle of the 90degree V angle, and the inlet system is on the outside of the engine, much like Audis 120 Degree V6......this will provide a very nice packaging benefit, and really reduce the frontal silhouette of the engine, so it will be an aero-friendly engine layout for low drag and high speeds, here are some links to the mechachrome V6 GP3 engine, it would adapt quite well to LMP1 me thinks, as its already 3.4 litres which is a good starting point for low revs and high fuel efficiency.......very nice if this is the basis of the Ginetta LMP1 motor

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/le-nouveau-moteur-v6-gp3-expliqu%C3%A9-par-mecachrome-bretagnolles

http://fr.motorsport.com/gp3/news/le-nouveau-moteur-gp3-explique-par-mecachrome-742410/

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/06/gp3-16-dallara-chassis-official/#slide-3607264
Old 12 Jan 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3702109)   #216
Mike E
Veteran

So would a single turbo be more likely for packaging reasons as well?
Old 12 Jan 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3702125)   #217
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, I would like to see a HPD 3.5 V6 or a GM 6.2 V8 powering a private lmp1.
Never been a fan of high rev NA engines turned in dyno turbo...
Old 12 Jan 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3702138)   #218
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
woow the Mecachrome it's a very good looking engine with the exhaust in middle of the V. I think it could use a single turbo to save weight, but that mean lag.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 21:49 (Ref:3702611)   #219
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
woow the Mecachrome it's a very good looking engine with the exhaust in middle of the V. I think it could use a single turbo to save weight, but that mean lag.
Yes it's ripe for a single turbo in the middle of the V. There are many anti-lag methods to almost completley eradicate turbo lag, those being:

Fresh air bypass valve
Twin scroll exhaust volute.
Short exhausts.
Variable geometry turbine.
ALS "babg-bang" but it guzzles fuel and is very damaging to the exhaust.
Low-inertia compressor and turbine wheels made from titanium aluminide.

I see no reason why a single turbo will not work.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3702625)   #220
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Yes it's ripe for a single turbo in the middle of the V. There are many anti-lag methods to almost completley eradicate turbo lag, those being:

Fresh air bypass valve
Twin scroll exhaust volute.
Short exhausts.
Variable geometry turbine.
ALS "babg-bang" but it guzzles fuel and is very damaging to the exhaust.
Low-inertia compressor and turbine wheels made from titanium aluminide.

I see no reason why a single turbo will not work.
Thanks for the data. The Honda V6 engine for Indycar was single turbo the first year right?
Old 16 Jan 2017, 07:30 (Ref:3702868)   #221
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Thanks for the data. The Honda V6 engine for Indycar was single turbo the first year right?
Yes that's correct, and it was quite competitive against the twin-turbo GM engine.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3704988)   #222
Mike E
Veteran

So the Nissan GT-R LM V6 is available...

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/b...n-lmp1-engine/
Old 25 Jan 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3704989)   #223
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
So the Nissan GT-R LM V6 is available...

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/b...n-lmp1-engine/
ouch! some thinly veiled sleights aimed at AER by Kolles in that press release!......for sure the 3.0 Nissan V6 LMP1 motor is a fantastic piece of kit, its a shame it was not in a car at the start of the 2016 season, I dare say Ginetta will stake an interest in it also, as it will be coming from Cosworth in Northampton, by my understanding NISMO are just fronting the deal as they own the design rights.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3705023)   #224
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
ouch! some thinly veiled sleights aimed at AER by Kolles in that press release!......for sure the 3.0 Nissan V6 LMP1 motor is a fantastic piece of kit, its a shame it was not in a car at the start of the 2016 season, I dare say Ginetta will stake an interest in it also, as it will be coming from Cosworth in Northampton, by my understanding NISMO are just fronting the deal as they own the design rights.
I like how they said they had "to deal with many setbacks in the past due to engine reliability issues," AKA, we kept catching on fire.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3705027)   #225
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their old engine will be great for future BBQ parties though