Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Feb 2010, 03:48 (Ref:2638038)   #51
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
to some, the biggest challenge at Sebring is knowing when to say when...

let's see....
Fire Ants
Paid Showers
Sun Burn
Drunks
Generators in your ear all night
Risk of getting run over while asleep in your sleeping bag
Torrential Downpours
Fires
what are the chances of getting Slowsley to camp?

looking at the list above, really making me want to tell work to FO and head South for some Green Park Festivities.

...and i hear there is a Race, too.
c'mon man, Eric is in and we're taking two trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsley View Post
Wow, so many camping enthusiasts. I'm just so high mantainance that it would have to be a one night thing max. Plus, being that I'm a twenty-something (read 'broke'), this is more like my yearly vacation rather than a "trip." Basically, I'd like a little "R and R" and maybe a continental breakfast (that would be in the theme of things right?).

On another note, its funny how things work out. As I sat in the rain at PLM alone for 7 hours disgusted, I wondered how I could wait for a whole year to excersise my passion again. Conclusion? Don't wait; go to Sebring. So fear not, I'll be there, happy, sheltered, showered, and hopefully unbitten.
I'm pretty damn high maintenance compared to some. I take a shower at least once during the trip. To me though, some greasy eggs in the morning, beer in the afternoon, sportscars all day, and sleeping in my own filth is R&R. To each his own though. I was a twenty something recently (just left them unfortunately) so I can sympythize... going to races is my vacation.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 06:18 (Ref:2638060)   #52
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
to some, the biggest challenge at Sebring is knowing when to say when...

let's see....
Fire Ants
Paid Showers
Sun Burn
Drunks
Generators in your ear all night
Risk of getting run over while asleep in your sleeping bag
Torrential Downpours
Fires
what are the chances of getting Slowsley to camp?

looking at the list above, really making me want to tell work to FO and head South for some Green Park Festivities.

...and i hear there is a Race, too.
Snakes, don't forget the snakes.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 06:28 (Ref:2638064)   #53
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

I'm pretty damn high maintenance compared to some. I take a shower at least once during the trip. To me though, some greasy eggs in the morning, beer in the afternoon, sportscars all day, and sleeping in my own filth is R&R. To each his own though. I was a twenty something recently (just left them unfortunately) so I can sympythize... going to races is my vacation.
As you roll into your 30's the comfort factor takes over and roughing it in the mud, rain, wind, sun with bugs biting you and all that, been there done that. Been to too many races and rallies roughing it and I need a full hospitality set up now or at least decent seats with a nice hotel. And the weather has to be nice.

Honestly I'm more self absorbed in my own driving and other sports and watching others isn't my thing. I'm not a good spectator anymore.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 06:59 (Ref:2638074)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I love the AKA ant thread addition to the thread name

It seemed appropriate.......
Old 22 Feb 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2638237)   #55
hoppelemine
Racer

England
Dorset, UK
hoppelemine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it has been suggested that you'll need an FM radio to listen to Radio Le Mans. Last year RLM was only broadcast on a local AM frequency so make sure radio has an AM setting. It was also packed with local radio commercials which can be frustrating. I also found that my scanner reception was poor for RLM, although it was good reception for listening to the Speed TV commentary and the pits to car radios.

Other very useful things to have are a map of the track (from americanlemans.com) and a spotters guide (spotterguides.com). I printed mine in colour, put them back to back and laminated it for durability. I had several people asking to look at it to find their way and work out which car/team was which.

Have fun, I may see you there....!
Old 22 Feb 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2638263)   #56
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
you know i have the desire, but i also have a desire to keep a job, something that has been rare for me here lately.

Quote:
guess we need to add greasy (swamp) eggs to the list of (un)desirables about camping.
and what's this beer in the afternoon?! beer is the breakfast of champions.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2638264)   #57
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Snakes, don't forget the snakes.
...right, sorry...the Snakes...what about Gators? ground too high there in CentralFLA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
As you roll into your 30's the comfort factor takes over and roughing it in the mud, rain, wind, sun with bugs biting you and all that, been there done that. Been to too many races and rallies roughing it and I need a full hospitality set up now or at least decent seats with a nice hotel. And the weather has to be nice.
i'm getting there too, which means i need to get enough money to buy Pop Up, the move on up to "roughing it" in a motor coach...
Old 23 Feb 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2638710)   #58
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
:...what about Gators? ground too high there in CentralFL...
take a look in some of the many ponds and lakes in the area, no shortage there.

I last camped at Sebring at age 49, and I survived.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 06:14 (Ref:2639525)   #59
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been following timing and scoring during the recent tests using a smart phone and I will never go to a race without the phone now. Rain gear is nice, as the temps can drop into the 50s after a late afternoon shower and being wet and cold reduces the enjoyment of the beer. The track food is as bad as any track I have ever been to, so bring your own. You will have a great time regardless, so try to maximize comfort.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2639818)   #60
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recommend bringing some chap stick with sun screen. In addition to the blistering sun burns I've got wind burn at Sebring before too. Also, plastic ziploc bags for when it rains (and it will).

For all members here, a place you must check out is the outside of turn 17 where the BMW corral is located. Your superticket will get you back there and a small bleacher is usually set up. There is a guard post set up to stop cars from getting through (unless you've got a paddock parking pass or BMW corral sticker) but just walk back there like you own the place. You can get some amazing shots of the cars rounding 17 right before the cars go under the bridge. A good 200-300mm lens on your camera is recommended.

Also be sure to check out the front straight right after Pit out just past the medical building. There is a small area to stand in against the fence and you get to hear the cars get off the pit limiter and go full bore.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2639986)   #61
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...right, sorry...the Snakes...what about Gators? ground too high there in CentralFLA?
Gators are in every county in the state.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2640538)   #62
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Slowsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally View Post
Gators are in every county in the state.
Sucks for me. My people have a horrible record against gators (gag).
Old 25 Feb 2010, 21:16 (Ref:2640561)   #63
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Sucks for me. My people have a horrible record against gators (gag).
Stop it!
Old 26 Feb 2010, 00:06 (Ref:2640630)   #64
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
We haven't heard from Slowsley in a bit, I wonder if the race week room rates and the alternative, the battle with savage animal life, have put him back on his heels?

I hope not, the experience is worth it.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 01:15 (Ref:2640653)   #65
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Quote:
We haven't heard from Slowsley in a bit, I wonder if the race week room rates and the alternative, the battle with savage animal life, have put him back on his heels?

I hope not, the experience is worth it.
Are you kidding me? Until March 21 this is the most important thing in my life. I'm just trying not to burst at the seems until then.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 02:07 (Ref:2640663)   #66
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Alright then, how are plans coming?
Old 26 Feb 2010, 03:35 (Ref:2640682)   #67
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Stop it!
I think it is a valid topic and slightly pertinent to the thread.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Until March 21 this is the most important thing in my life. I'm just trying not to burst at the seems until then.
I just hope I'm still going.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 03:53 (Ref:2640690)   #68
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I think it is a valid topic and slightly pertinent to the thread.
i'm sure you do think that....where's my fly swatter?
Quote:
I just hope I'm still going.
wha wha what? say it ain't so...
i hope i can go as well...will be last minute and low budget as my standards.

i'm glad Slowsley has already bought his ticket....just hope the boy can find a place to crash....Maybe he'd like to carpool to CFLA?
me and the wife only have one car now, so you'll have to come a little east of before heading South, for the Spring Break.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2641111)   #69
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Quote:
i'm sure you do think that....where's my fly swatter?

Oh that's right, Hamilton used to have a GT pic didn't he? We'll leave this alone so Field and I won't have to remind you of your place in the GA football food chain. Ha j/p...sort of.

wha wha what? say it ain't so...
i hope i can go as well...will be last minute and low budget as my standards.

i'm glad Slowsley has already bought his ticket....just hope the boy can find a place to crash....Maybe he'd like to carpool to CFLA?
me and the wife only have one car now, so you'll have to come a little east of before heading South, for the Spring Break.
Wait, ticket, wha? I'm planning to buy at the gate as I do for PLM. That'll work right? I mean, these can't sell out can they? And what's a pass for the week...$100 or so? I usually just buy the race day ticket for $60 I think. I'd be all up for carpooling except that I only have a 2 seater and a friend is coming too. Next year we should put together a "cannonball" from Road Atl to Sebring.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2641116)   #70
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Quote:
Alright then, how are plans coming?
Well, I have a list from the chamber of commerce of hotels to call...gotta do it this weekend. Special thanks to our friend in Austria for that little idea. I'll stay as far away as I have to, but as close as I can. Still planning to come on Wed. Got bail money secured. Haha We decided that an am/fm radio would do the trick and a scanner is just gravy right?
Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2641222)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Wait, ticket, wha? I'm planning to buy at the gate as I do for PLM. That'll work right? I mean, these can't sell out can they? And what's a pass for the week...$100 or so? I usually just buy the race day ticket for $60 I think. I'd be all up for carpooling except that I only have a 2 seater and a friend is coming too. Next year we should put together a "cannonball" from Road Atl to Sebring.
strap me to the roof!

and buying tickets at the gate ain't a problem...just a few bucks extra. thought you were "committed" that way, but sounds like you have commitment, nonetheless.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 05:10 (Ref:2641304)   #72
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
(B) Bail Money $$$$. Just in case.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2641335)   #73
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
(B) Bail Money $$$$. Just in case.

The first person to play along...

How about:
(C) condoms
Old 27 Feb 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2641364)   #74
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Special thanks to our friend in Austria for that little idea
Glad to hear that it worked out for you . Hope you have a brilliant time there , just wish I was going too !!!
Old 27 Feb 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2641617)   #75
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How about:
(C) condoms
That's a good idea even if you aren't going to Sebring. But since it's Sebring -
(C) Camping gear. You know you want too.......