Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Jul 2016, 16:41 (Ref:3659971)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Lime Rock Park - North East Grand Prix(July 22-23, 2016)

PC, GTLM, and GTD cars take to the tight 1.5 mile Connecticut bullring this weekend for a 2 hour, 40 minute race live on the main FOX network.

The Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge is also in attendance, for their own 2hr40min race the morning of the WeatherTech race.

Spotter Guide and Entry list for WSC and CTSCC

IMSA Weekend Schedule

Event History

WeatherTech track layout:

Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge track layout:

Track Graphics c/o RacingCircuits.info

I'll be there both days.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3659972)   #2
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Weather forecast doesn't exactly look encouraging. Perhaps worse than Nurburgring's due to possible risk of severe thunderstorms, especially Saturday for the race. I hope that they don't have the ditches or low areas near the embankments that I remember seeing some IMSA GTP cars get stuck in during races there in the mid 1980s. I'll bet that they still have ponding areas like the one where an Aston Martin almost drowned itself when it spun off the track in 2006 during practice for the ALMS race.

Maybe if it rains badly enough, GTLM cars could have a shot for the overall win if they can keep it on the road better than the LMPC cars can.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 16:49 (Ref:3659974)   #3
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Weather forecast doesn't exactly look encouraging. Perhaps worse than Nurburgring's due to possible risk of severe thunderstorms, especially Saturday for the race. I hope that they don't have the ditches or low areas near the embankments that I remember seeing some IMSA GTP cars get stuck in during races there in the mid 1980s. I'll bet that they still have ponding areas like the one where an Aston Martin almost drowned itself when it spun off the track in 2006 during practice for the ALMS race.

Maybe if it rains badly enough, GTLM cars could have a shot for the overall win if they can keep it on the road better than the LMPC cars can.
No more ditches, but the topography of the land in the area tends to make all storms there very violent. If one rolls through during the race I fully expect it to be red-flagged. The one that came through immediately after the GS race in 2014 caused cancellation of the final GT3 Cup race, and the grille at the C360R trailer started to float away within minutes.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 17:14 (Ref:3659978)   #4
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I can imagine that with enough rain, water will pond in any low area in the run off areas. It also doesn't help that the track is surrounded by hills that divert any standing water downstream into low-lying areas.

Seeing both WEC and IMSA policy on heavy rain, I'm in agreement that the race could either be stopped early or at least run under a lengthy full course yellow like at PLM last fall.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3659984)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

I'll be there both days.
Thanks for starting this thread. :tiphat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I think driver talent, vehicle dynamics and tire competency in the rain will get GTLM up at the front if it is raining. I'm waiting to see how they throw the green at this one. Will the PC's have their own grid at the front followed by the GT grid further back? 7 cars starting on their own at the front isn't exactly a front page moment.....
Old 21 Jul 2016, 17:46 (Ref:3659987)   #6
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
If it rains enough, the Uphill Corner and Diving Turn will be interesting to say the least. I'd look for water ponding in those areas if it rains enough quickly enough.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 17:52 (Ref:3659989)   #7
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given this is a Lime Rock sportscar racing weekend, I will take the opportunity to suggest this great documentary about Paul Newman racing life
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/win...f_paul_newman/

Absolutely great for sportscars fans and the reason I'm bringing it up here is because Lime Rock was sort of Paul's home track.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 17:56 (Ref:3659990)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. :tiphat:

I think driver talent, vehicle dynamics and tire competency in the rain will get GTLM up at the front if it is raining. I'm waiting to see how they throw the green at this one. Will the PC's have their own grid at the front followed by the GT grid further back? 7 cars starting on their own at the front isn't exactly a front page moment.....
Speaking of the green flag...my GM here at my work will be the one waving it!
Old 22 Jul 2016, 00:38 (Ref:3660048)   #9
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Maybe he can encourage IMSA to get the entire 30 car grid to start in one pack.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 10:19 (Ref:3660103)   #10
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's cool! What a boss. Over the years , mine were always golfers.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 11:43 (Ref:3660114)   #11
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Love this place! Just disappointed the Porsche's aren't racing this weekend.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 12:53 (Ref:3660130)   #12
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
You mean the GT3 Cup? Often a crashfest.

Plenty of Porsches in GTLM/D though!
Old 22 Jul 2016, 13:48 (Ref:3660139)   #13
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
You mean the GT3 Cup? Often a crashfest.

Plenty of Porsches in GTLM/D though!
Yes, GT3 Cup. I agree, particularly at Watkins Glen, but when they are green the racing is usually quite spectacular, certainly more so than our equivalent in the UK.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 00:39 (Ref:3660240)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think it is a split grid at the start. So far this weekend, there have been eight PC cars, so we're up by one.

If it were me, I'd make VIR a full, all-classes race, and make Lime Rock the GTLM/GTD showcase event, assuming one is kept on the calendar.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 02:23 (Ref:3660244)   #15
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think it is a split grid at the start. So far this weekend, there have been eight PC cars, so we're up by one.

If it were me, I'd make VIR a full, all-classes race, and make Lime Rock the GTLM/GTD showcase event, assuming one is kept on the calendar.
Not a bad idea.

For this race it is interesting that Colin Braun qualified he is going to start. I think he wants to win this race very badly. Maybe CORE is betting on some FCY's and get Bennett in the car early to mid race when there will be more of them. Betting on rain time too perhaps?
Old 23 Jul 2016, 02:52 (Ref:3660246)   #16
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I'd like to see the P-class instead of the PC-class in this race next year - especially with LR's 60th anniversary!
Old 23 Jul 2016, 19:07 (Ref:3660402)   #17
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calvin Fish, "...temperatures up to 140 degrees in GT cars..." I thought they had to have, by rules, A/C systems to keep them around 90 degrees, no?

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 23 Jul 2016, 19:09 (Ref:3660403)   #18
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yellow before they even went green despite no accident or spin. And a full lap later they still aren't green.

How very IMSA.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 19:09 (Ref:3660404)   #19
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Well this is embarrassing.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3660406)   #20
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LMPC really is a joke, they cant even start the race correctly.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 19:11 (Ref:3660407)   #21
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that start was ridiculous.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 19:11 (Ref:3660408)   #22
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice job lmpc, and westy throws it away
Old 23 Jul 2016, 19:13 (Ref:3660409)   #23
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
So I tune in to a FCY and the #100 in the tyres.

Dare I ask, what have I missed ...
Old 23 Jul 2016, 19:14 (Ref:3660410)   #24
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Porsche bumps BMW off course. Just like Long Beach. GTLM off to a rough start. 3 cars in trouble already. The 67 Ford, 100 BMW, and I assume the Porsche who did the tap will get a penalty
Old 23 Jul 2016, 19:14 (Ref:3660411)   #25
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
So I tune in to a FCY and the #100 in the tyres.

Dare I ask, what have I missed ...
The entire field did take the green flag together in one pack. I dont know if that was intentional but I did like that. The GTLM leaders passed at least 3 LMPC cars.