Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give the season opener?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 4 7.02%
7 10 17.54%
6 14 24.56%
5 11 19.30%
4 12 21.05%
3 2 3.51%
2 2 3.51%
1 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Apr 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3722999)   #51
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's because with the new aero they can't pass water and so we get the return of the days when the only way to pass is through the pits or mistakes, even with the foolish DRS
Old 3 Apr 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3723495)   #52
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I guess it depends for each of us what 'racing' actually means. For many (most, perhaps) racing connotes challenges between drivers for position - on track - not just strategy by the engineers dictated by tyres and other limitations. I'm not a fan of BOP either, because sometimes those dictating it get it very wrong (as with Ford and Ferrari at Le Mans last year) but for me, the very essence of 'non-racing' is a processional Grand Prix.
Interestingly, some of the best races in history have resulted in no overtaking. Think Mansell and Senna at Monaco in '92 - 10 laps of balls out driving from both of them, and not an overtake in sight.

Personally I love the long game, where you can see a relentless hunter pursuing their prey. Whether they get there or not is not the point - it's the thrill of the chase.

As you can imagine, I find the incessant focus on overtaking to be a bit confusing...
Old 3 Apr 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3723508)   #53
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think for me the excitement comes from the possibility of an overtake, seeing an opponent slowly gain on another in the slipstream and be in a position to make a possible dive on the brakes in the braking zone. Surely we want to see drivers battling wheel to wheel in corners?
Old 3 Apr 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3723520)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's the uncertainty, wondering if the car in front can hang on, if the driver behind can get passed. Think Villeneuve in Jarama in 81. That goes down in history as a great bit of defensive driving
Old 3 Apr 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3723579)   #55
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think for me the excitement comes from the possibility of an overtake, seeing an opponent slowly gain on another in the slipstream and be in a position to make a possible dive on the brakes in the braking zone. Surely we want to see drivers battling wheel to wheel in corners?
Yes, I do, sort of. What I don't really want is a sudden increase in position swapping four times a lap "because that's what the audience wants".

Maybe I have a longer attention span than those youngsters we're so often told want blood, guts and overtaking all the time.

Racing, yes. Racing has overtaking as a small component.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 20:30 (Ref:3723581)   #56
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's the uncertainty, wondering if the car in front can hang on, if the driver behind can get passed. Think Villeneuve in Jarama in 81. That goes down in history as a great bit of defensive driving
I know it's a different kettle of fish but there was some superb defensive driving in race 3 of yesterday's BTCC round at Brands. The last six or seven laps were tremendous.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 02:12 (Ref:3723618)   #57
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That is the one I was trying to think of.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3723703)   #58
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I know it's a different kettle of fish but there was some superb defensive driving in race 3 of yesterday's BTCC round at Brands. The last six or seven laps were tremendous.

Yes and because they have the opportunity to pass means it has the right balance. In F1 ATM it's too hard