Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Sep 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3768088)   #101
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0U170NS View Post
Also what happened to Plato in race 1? Did he make a mistake or was he punted off?
Spun off at Becketts. Didn't seee any contact from where I was stood, but he was in a pack of cars.

Sutton's 1 second penalty in race 2 was justified as it was a hard push on Turkington. Similar move by Neal in race 3 on Ingram when he took third but no penalty?
Old 17 Sep 2017, 22:46 (Ref:3768095)   #102
swooshiain
Racer

Scotland
swooshiain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it was the (fairly light) contact that Sutton was penalised for - it was the fact that he came from having all four wheels off the track and kept pushing the manouver. He says Turkington pushed him off; the stewards say he was off the circuit and then pushed an advantage. I think if he genuinely felt he was not at fault then they would be pressing for a further review.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3768169)   #103
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
Didn't Josh Cook used to be good? Am I mis-remembering? What happened?
I've been thinking the same. I've taken an interest in his progress since being a guest of Power Maxed Racing (who he was driving for at the time) three seasons ago. I get the impression that desperation to succeed is overtaking his talent...
Old 18 Sep 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3768176)   #104
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I believe that race control initially believed all was OK and the safety car was instructed to come in: only then did race control get the full picture, i.e. that Will Burns was not safely out of the car.
Will got out of the car on his own and walked away. It was only some time later, presumably when the adrenaline wore off, that he felt the pain in his chest.

I believe there was a doctor there already, but they red flagged the race to allow an ambulance to cross the track.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 08:11 (Ref:3768179)   #105
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tingram was the stand out driver of the day for me. Sadly I think he has realistically no chance of the title unless Sutton/ Turkington both have nightmares at Brands.
It would take not only Sutton and Turkington to have nightmares (Sutton would need to score no points at all), but also for Ingram to get pole, win every race and score all three fastest laps. Nobody has ever done that. He's not going to either.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 08:48 (Ref:3768189)   #106
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I only saw the third race (however I did see the race in 60 seconds highlights of the other 2 races on Facebook) and I have to say the driving standards where awful and from reading the overnight comments on Twitter a lot of other people feel the same. Let's hope that the standards are a lot better at Brands in a couple of weeks time.

As for the championship I still think that Turkington will take the championship as he always been strong at Brands and BMW's also always go well there.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3768199)   #107
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
I only saw the third race (however I did see the race in 60 seconds highlights of the other 2 races on Facebook) and I have to say the driving standards where awful and from reading the overnight comments on Twitter a lot of other people feel the same. Let's hope that the standards are a lot better at Brands in a couple of weeks time.

As for the championship I still think that Turkington will take the championship as he always been strong at Brands and BMW's also always go well there.
Brands should suit their car better than Silverstone, but I don't think the 1-series has ever been a "world beater" on the Brands GP track. I think the Honda's will be in their element there.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3768249)   #108
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strong word's from Mr Gow - http://www.btcc.net/2017/09/18/alan-...ing-standards/
Old 18 Sep 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3768282)   #109
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Rightly so and I really hope it changes - though *personally* I didn't think it was too bad (at least for the BTCC) yesterday

Jordan & Epps having a spat on Twitter about it...
Old 18 Sep 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3768305)   #110
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
haven't we heard this before ????

and then what, they clamp down on the drivers and it becomes a procession ala WTCC and DTM
Old 18 Sep 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3768310)   #111
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Whilst I've often defended driving standards this season, I feel race 3 had a lot to answer for in that respect. AJ just punting Epps out of the way, if you go back to footage of the first two races, drivers were rightly backing out when they hit the car in front up the rear. Huff was not setting a good example as a world champion putting Tingram on the grass either and as for the Flash/Austin collision, which luckily was not a repeat of the R1 incident, I think either driver could have avoided contact there. And as for Cook, first of all I don't get how the stewards accepted that there was a mechanical problem that caused the incident at the Rock, but decided not to overturn the penalty. But he is becoming a right wally out there, I mean what was he thinking in that coming together with Plato?

I still think that move by Sutton was legitimate, but I won't say anymore unless they decide to show to video from onboard Sutton. I did think it was harsh to get a third strike just for that though. Considering how clean he has driven this season, I'm amazed he even had two strikes prior to that. As for the Neal/Jackson incident, looks like Neal kept his foot in wrongly

Tingram what a weekend. He was on it from the beginning. Of course he needs a miracle to win the title (like Flash), but the fact he still has a mathematical chance of the title shows how much he's come on this season and shows what might have been if he hadn't that mid season bad luck

Also good weekend for Goff, he's done well with that Independent Honda, actually ahead of Neal in the points. It's been a very consistent season and I'm glad he's won a race now. Morgan also had a good one, good to see Whorton-Eales up there in race 1, and both BTC Norlin cars up there too, well done Newsham on getting third and Smiley in the top ten again. Once again shows the quality of the field we have this season. Felt for Jake Hill after qualifying so well, what a drive by Moffat though, wish we could see an onboard of his R1 and Huff, how I'd love to have him back full time next season, he really was on top of his car in R2 and R3 and I see Nash is looking to comeback too which should be a bonus. And Brett Smith looked good as well.

Just glad everyone is reasonably ok after that smash in R1, Will Burns might now not get a points finish this season now, as he'll now be in doubt for Brands. Caine or Gilham in the car now?

So the Sutton vs Turkington battle should be a good one at Brands. Shame no one else has a realistic chance, but it takes two to tango. And I wonder if we'll break last season's record of 12 winners at Brands too?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3768319)   #112
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIJYBiXvdw

Better angle of the Cook/Plato crash in R3. Hard to defend Josh for this, all 4 wheels over the curb
Old 18 Sep 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3768332)   #113
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post

Better angle of the Cook/Plato crash in R3. Hard to defend Josh for this, all 4 wheels over the curb
Wow! That was a pretty blatant piece of torpedoing by Cooke, very blatant!
Going back to the (more subtle/less blatant) contact, unfortunately this is not helped by all this equalisation malarkey. Let's be honest, the BTCC is like a single make championship and none of the cars have sufficient advantages in cornering, braking or power in order to make a clean overtake if no-one in front makes a mistake. Having the whole field qualifying within the same second sounds like a success for the equalisation, but it can lead to processional races too.
Historically, single make race championships have provided some spectacular & close races, but have also created some huge accidents too (and I say this as a one-time Mini Se7en racer albeit from many years ago...)
Old 18 Sep 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3768333)   #114
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JP

Quote:
We’ve had our engines turned down yet again, so we’re going to struggle on the straights,

We’re losing four car lengths on the back straight. There’s no point in grumbling about it, I just don’t understand what the rules are anymore, but we’re having fun
so TOCA just confirmed that they had too much boost the last rounds

btw i never saw them at Silvestone losing anything on the straights even so...
Old 18 Sep 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3768348)   #115
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post

I appreciate that I am a bit of a stuck record, but this is a direct result of the motor racing associations and racing clubs not seriously tackling the lack of drivers observing track limits.

Yes, in this incident it appears to be obvious that Cook had all four wheels on the curbing or grass, but it should be noted that the following Tag car and one of the Motorbase Fords were also way over the white line, plus at least a couple of other cars before them.

I really wish that Race Directors or CoCs would do more to stop this practice. What real deterrent was just removing Goff's fastest time for not observing track limits when he was already on pole? And a five second penalty during the race for a driver who is nearly ten seconds ahead of the car behind?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3768388)   #116
Madd_Dogg88
Racer

Madd_Dogg88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
don't be such a drama queen it's part of their profession to potentialy get injured and bruzzed

back in the 60 and 70s in F1 you had something like a FATAL accident almost every 2 years and they still continued racing

Is this grounds to finally boot this moron?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3768406)   #117
CaptRustyNail
Racer

CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I appreciate that I am a bit of a stuck record, but this is a direct result of the motor racing associations and racing clubs not seriously tackling the lack of drivers observing track limits.

Yes, in this incident it appears to be obvious that Cook had all four wheels on the curbing or grass, but it should be noted that the following Tag car and one of the Motorbase Fords were also way over the white line, plus at least a couple of other cars before them.

I really wish that Race Directors or CoCs would do more to stop this practice. What real deterrent was just removing Goff's fastest time for not observing track limits when he was already on pole? And a five second penalty during the race for a driver who is nearly ten seconds ahead of the car behind?
As is usually the case, its the idiot who makes the daft overtaking move that gets away scott free and the poor guys following it up that take the big damage. All 4 wheels on the grass on the inside of the kerb... jeez, can't even say he was squeezed... Just awful.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3768421)   #118
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Understand the sentiments on track limits: it annoys me a lot especially when idiots like Cook go to the ridiculous.

One good feature of American oval racing and tracks like Monaco: exceed the limit and you're out on the spot. I'm not advocating concrete walls all over, but how about more of those big suspension busting sausage kerbs?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 21:38 (Ref:3768424)   #119
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
how about more of those big suspension busting sausage kerbs?
Or small 'spikes' that will puncture tires if driven over a few too many times?
Old 19 Sep 2017, 04:07 (Ref:3768480)   #120
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spikes or humps on the perimeter of tracks - something for a BTCC driver to try and push a rival into!
Old 19 Sep 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3768513)   #121
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this could be the last year I seriously follow the btcc. I'm not enjoying the crashes and drivers getting hurt, or the endless stream of uniformed idiots on social media who haven't got a clue how motorsport works. Cheesed off with the whole performance balancing thing too.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3768517)   #122
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I, on the other hand, think the BTCC is absolutely fantastic. But, I have never really pretended to be anything other than an "uninformed idiot".

They do need urgently to do something about the driving standards though.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 13:03 (Ref:3768554)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Still at least we had a moment of levity in the third race with Plato getting a pint from a fan and then getting a lift home with AJ.

And well done Senna Proctor on winning the JST
Old 19 Sep 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3768557)   #124
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I, on the other hand, think the BTCC is absolutely fantastic. But, I have never really pretended to be anything other than an "uninformed idiot".

They do need urgently to do something about the driving standards though.
I don't mean forum users! Well maybe one exception... 😂

It's the casual fans who go for the crashes advertised by the circuits and abuse drivers on social media. Unfortunately anyone has Internet access these days and it's a downside to it.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 14:18 (Ref:3768563)   #125
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm personally lamenting the end of Collards title challenge. Can you just imagine his face if he did go and win the title? It's a shame to end that way.