Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3758959)   #646
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they continue the reliability they had in Hungary they at least starting to go in the right direction
Old 12 Aug 2017, 13:50 (Ref:3758981)   #647
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed. But one of McLaren-Honda's problems, as well as the lack of pace and unreliability, has been the gap - well, yawning chasm, really - between their rhetoric and ambition on the one hand and their performance on the other. I keep having to remind myself that there is no immutable law that McLaren will recover and fight at the front, and that BRM, Lotus, Brabham and Tyrrell all won championships before declining and finally going into death spirals.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3759217)   #648
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Agreed. But one of McLaren-Honda's problems, as well as the lack of pace and unreliability, has been the gap - well, yawning chasm, really - between their rhetoric and ambition on the one hand and their performance on the other. I keep having to remind myself that there is no immutable law that McLaren will recover and fight at the front, and that BRM, Lotus, Brabham and Tyrrell all won championships before declining and finally going into death spirals.
😲
Old 14 Aug 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3759354)   #649
ASCII Man
Veteran

Belgium
Leuven
ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Good God!
Old 14 Aug 2017, 19:35 (Ref:3759404)   #650
Adam43
Race Official
20KPINAL

European Union
The Road to Rouen
Adam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ASCII Man, you do realise you've just posted an animated gif. I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3759417)   #651
ASCII Man
Veteran

Belgium
Leuven
ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, I did realize it when I did a search for 'man spitting out drink gif' on Google, but thank you for mentioning it, Adam43.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3759431)   #652
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
ASCII Man, you do realise you've just posted an animated gif. I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Ban him!! 😂
Old 15 Aug 2017, 03:15 (Ref:3759448)   #653
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ha! Well I do like the idea that future success for anyone is not inevitable. Generally speaking nobody is safe from a future "death spiral" (some are more safe than others). "If" McLaren was to "fail", I suspect it would look different than some of those examples above. I can't remember how the F1 team and commercial enterprise are structured. Likely the commercial side can survive without the F1 team. The F1 team might become something else. But regardless, a very good point to make.

What I think could be more likely for the F1 side of the McLaren house is a Williams style long slow slide into general mediocrity. Williams has had relatively erratic performance over the past 10+ years (with occasional highlights, but not enough to show a positive trend). And I say this is an absolute fan of Williams who would love to see them back on top.

Richard