Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3722193)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 has lost ALL the new teams that arrived int he last few years. Force India and Sauber have rumored financial troubles. So did Lotus / Enstone until Renault stepped in.

My throwaway remark that F1 needs to look after these teams, means that the dodgy deals to give significantly more prize / travel money to the big guns should be reviewed especially in light to the increased engine costs thanks in no small part to this being driven though by the engine manufacturers (and not the small teams themselves).

If you lose Sauber or Force India, there is no guarantee that another Mercedes and Red Bull will step in to ensure we have a healthy sized grid.

The F1 grid is as short in numbers as I can ever remember it.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 22:59 (Ref:3722282)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Then we go back to the fabled 3 cars per team option
Wherever you go, there you are..
I love lamp...
Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3722378)   #18
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlein blown any chance he had at a Mercedes drive? He copped a bit over the w'end for pulling out of the GP. I too believe PW should've driven. Pulling out of the GP hasn't, and will not go down well with the old school boys in pitlane.

Some stories are still mentioning Ferrari making a deal with Kaltenborn to get Giovanni in the seat for the race as the real reason. A bunch of $$'s worth apparently. And it worked. Ferrari's investment paid off handsomely.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3722796)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The latest rumours are Honda supplying engines to Sauber in 2018. I can see why, considering their Ferrari engines are out of date. The question is, would it be easier to develop the Honda engine with two teams instead of one?
Old 31 Mar 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3722826)   #20
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The latest rumours are Honda supplying engines to Sauber in 2018. I can see why, considering their Ferrari engines are out of date. The question is, would it be easier to develop the Honda engine with two teams instead of one?
Don't forget that Sauber elected to run last year's PUs in an effort to save money; it's not as though Ferrari refused to let them have the latest spec units.

And bearing that financial constraint at Sauber in mind, is it really going to help Honda develop their power-units?
Old 31 Mar 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3722837)   #21
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Don't forget that Sauber elected to run last year's PUs in an effort to save money; it's not as though Ferrari refused to let them have the latest spec units.

And bearing that financial constraint at Sauber in mind, is it really going to help Honda develop their power-units?
Well it'd double the amount of time the engines have on track, so that's a help. If I were Honda in this current state, I'd be paying Sauber to run the engines so I could get more data. This is now year 3 of the return, so it's gone beyond simple teething problems and is now it's looking like they really don't know how to make it any better. More data would be very welcome I'm sure.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3722873)   #22
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They still have a great facility that could be ramped up again with Honda cash and as a more low key team could be a good place for Honda to develop out of the spotlight.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 01:08 (Ref:3722930)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Maldonado To Sauber!!
I love lamp...
Old 1 Apr 2017, 01:41 (Ref:3722931)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
get out, and don't come back.

please be nonsense, please be nonsense...
Old 1 Apr 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3722950)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
get out, and don't come back.

please be nonsense, please be nonsense...
The article is dated 31st March..
I love lamp...
Old 1 Apr 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3723000)   #26
ASCII Man
Veteran

Belgium
Leuven
ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aha, a preemptive april fools...

Clever.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3723555)   #27
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pascal out for China and maybe Bahrain, I doubt he will be back, Ferrari will step in and keep Gio in the seat.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3723562)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Pascal out for China and maybe Bahrain, I doubt he will be back, Ferrari will step in and keep Gio in the seat.
Story Here

Why does there not seem to be a ball-tearing rush by the pilot to get back into this car?

Is he taking one for the team, helping Sauber get an engine discount at Ferrari for running the Ferrari reserve driver..? Is the Sauber really that craap?

Is he, as Mr Webber & 1980 WDC Mr Jones suggested, 'soft'?

And will the team principal at Sauber come out again and tell everyone to stop picking on her driver??

Very very strange..
I love lamp...
Old 3 Apr 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3723564)   #29
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari ponying up some dough (or reducing the engine price at least), in order to try stop Sauber going with Honda engines next year?
Old 3 Apr 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3723569)   #30
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its puzzling. I see three broad options...

1. Everything is as advertised. He feels that he can't be 100% in the car. Kudo's for doing the right thing and stepping back.

2. While everyone is supportive of Wehrlein, F1 is where everyone says the opposite. So there is some issue with Wehrlein. Be it physical, mental or otherwise.

3. His seat is being rented out and that is being made "ok" behind the scenes by the various people who are funding the seat (I assume Mercedes has funded his ride, so why would Mercedes be OK with this if it is not #1 or #2?)

I want to believe it is #1. But even then that seems odd that he will miss a second and maybe a third race unless the physical/mental issues are deeper than are being discussed publicly which leads to #2.

Richard