Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Mar 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3045911)   #1
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bahrain B*****

Sad to see a load rubbish like that in 'print'
http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/03/21/...sa-al-khalifa/

Compare with what these sites say:

http://physiciansforhumanrights.org

http://www.humanrightsfirst.org

http://www.hrw.org

http://www.amnesty.org

Last edited by TWRv12; 21 Mar 2012 at 12:06.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3045915)   #2
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No amount of money on this planet will ever change that part of the world. Stop pretending. It is what it is.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3048350)   #3
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always wanted to see that part of the world, but given all the talk I don't think I'll be in a hurry to go there.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 02:58 (Ref:3049147)   #4
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
I've always wanted to see that part of the world, but given all the talk I don't think I'll be in a hurry to go there.
Bahrain is worlds away from Oz! Haven't been there yet, though I spent time in Dubai, Egypt and Israel last year not long after the Mubarak Facebook revolution in Cairo, and it was a pretty massive culture shock. Fascinating places to visit, to be sure.

Sport can have a role in helping nations progress (South African apartheid boycotts come to mind), and the F1 circus has shone a spotlight on abuse in Bahrain, which can only be a good thing.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 05:53 (Ref:3049177)   #5
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplater View Post
Bahrain is worlds away from Oz! Haven't been there yet, though I spent time in Dubai, Egypt and Israel last year not long after the Mubarak Facebook revolution in Cairo, and it was a pretty massive culture shock. Fascinating places to visit, to be sure.

Sport can have a role in helping nations progress (South African apartheid boycotts come to mind), and the F1 circus has shone a spotlight on abuse in Bahrain, which can only be a good thing.
Sorry, but that's patently untrue. F1 has in fact swept the abuses under the rug and refused to acknowledge them. The FIA gave Bahrain a clean bill of health shortly prior to the planned GP last year. It was only the rapid deterioration and the safety concerns of its own 'circus' that caused them to postpone the event. They wouldn't cancel it, because then they would have to refund money to Bahrain.

They have resisted all international pressure to boycott the Bahrain event.

As for apartheid - F1 was one of the few sports to go to South Africa during this period. So not much has changed. I appreciate that there's remaining politically neutral, but it's another thing to offer validation to oppressive regimes.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 04:45 (Ref:3049828)   #6
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Sorry, but that's patently untrue. F1 has in fact swept the abuses under the rug and refused to acknowledge them. The FIA gave Bahrain a clean bill of health shortly prior to the planned GP last year. It was only the rapid deterioration and the safety concerns of its own 'circus' that caused them to postpone the event. They wouldn't cancel it, because then they would have to refund money to Bahrain.

They have resisted all international pressure to boycott the Bahrain event.

As for apartheid - F1 was one of the few sports to go to South Africa during this period. So not much has changed. I appreciate that there's remaining politically neutral, but it's another thing to offer validation to oppressive regimes.
Actually, you're right. I was more thinking of the media spotlight attached to the F1 circus. While Bernie etc aren't doing any advocacy, the will-they, won't-they hoopla around F1 and Bahrain has certainly brought more attention to what's happening there.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 12:16 (Ref:3049989)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Sorry, but that's patently untrue. F1 has in fact swept the abuses under the rug and refused to acknowledge them.
One might suggest the working practices of F1 are quite in tune with the state. I couldn't possibly comment on anyone that might hold that view...

However, all this really has little to do with AusTC other than that a race is held there. I'll close it, if you want to continue the discussion please visit Parc Ferme and start a thread in there. Preferably without the autocensor dodge in the title.