Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jan 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3490082)   #101
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AA four part series on G2
http://autoaction.com.au/feature-v8-...r-plan-series/

http://autoaction.com.au/feature-v8-...r-plan-part-1/

Last edited by TWRv12; 5 Jan 2015 at 15:20.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 04:18 (Ref:3490549)   #102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Winterbottom's View on Gen2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article, Frosty
"We already have seen engine variances with the recent additions to V8 Supercars cause some problems and squabbles, which means with the arrival of completely new engine platforms, parity is what will make or break the sport going forward... and we don't want to see a repeat of Group A, where certain cars like the Nissan Skyline GT-R were allowed to crush the opposition."
Except Group A wasnt strictly soeaking a movable parity formula, and attempts to make it one hobbled the blokes with the best mousetrap (GMS Nissan) nobbled more and more and more as the years went on. They won anyway.. The 'crush' wasnt 'allowed', it was one team building a car to suit the rules of the day. A road car you could buy from Nissan dealers. How many Ford Sierra road cars could you buy brand new, Australian complied from your local Ford dealer in the day?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Jan 2015, 07:07 (Ref:3490576)   #103
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Winterbottom's View on Gen2

Except Group A wasnt strictly soeaking a movable parity formula, and attempts to make it one hobbled the blokes with the best mousetrap (GMS Nissan) nobbled more and more and more as the years went on. They won anyway.. The 'crush' wasnt 'allowed', it was one team building a car to suit the rules of the day. A road car you could buy from Nissan dealers. How many Ford Sierra road cars could you buy brand new, Australian complied from your local Ford dealer in the day?
The difference was that by the time the GTR appeared all manufacturers but Holden had lost interest.

It was a credit to the likes of DJR and GSR that they did beat the GTR's on more than one occasion.

Comparing a GTR to a Sierra is like comparing a Sierra to a 635csi. A Sierra would be expected to beat a 635 every time - and the GTR's should have beaten the Sierras every time.

But then again the Sierra was the best Group A car.
Old 9 Jan 2015, 09:50 (Ref:3491223)   #104
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
The biggest problem along with drag / aero.
They struggle to keep it correct with limited options.
Prepare for whinging, bleating, moaning from everyone not running first like never before. And then there's the opinions from whats left of the fans.
You do not understand engines and their performance characteristics at all. Try making a four cylinder turbo equal to a NA V8 and get back to us with the results. The aero problems are insignificant compared to that little problem.
Old 9 Jan 2015, 14:02 (Ref:3491280)   #105
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will anything about the actual costs of the cars be done in 2017, given that CotF was seemingly unsuccessful in dropping the costs as hoped?
Old 9 Jan 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3491283)   #106
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Will anything about the actual costs of the cars be done in 2017, given that CotF was seemingly unsuccessful in dropping the costs as hoped?
Never in the history of motor sport has any given category become cheaper to run especially spec categories such as V8SC, they are the worst of the lot.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 00:16 (Ref:3491747)   #107
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
You do not understand engines and their performance characteristics at all. Try making a four cylinder turbo equal to a NA V8 and get back to us with the results. The aero problems are insignificant compared to that little problem.
Huh? I was agreeing with you. I know exactly how difficult it will be to equalise performance with multiple configurations
Old 11 Jan 2015, 03:53 (Ref:3491764)   #108
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Parity won't be a problem because they will severely paritise anything that hasn't got a push-rod V8.........now I know I am going to cop it for saying that, but that is the truth and that is what will happen.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 04:36 (Ref:3491767)   #109
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Parity won't be a problem because they will severely paritise anything that hasn't got a push-rod V8.........now I know I am going to cop it for saying that, but that is the truth and that is what will happen.
You live in dreamland if you think parity is not going to be a problem. Simply throwing weight at a car or removing it won't resolve the technical issue surrounding how different motors react and perform. Parity is a bulls**t excuse at the best of times to try and develop close racing as all it does in the end is drive up costs. Oh wait, it isn't supposed to do that is it!! If it didn't none of the teams would have cost issues.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 00:38 (Ref:3492926)   #110
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Said it before, say it again. Go back to a production based series with multiple classes.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 11:00 (Ref:3493028)   #111
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Said it before, say it again. Go back to a production based series with multiple classes.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 05:03 (Ref:3509516)   #112
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dick Johnson Not A Fan Of Gen2

Old 27 Feb 2015, 06:38 (Ref:3509536)   #113
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Will Mr Warburton ask him to revoke this statement

Everyone is supposed to love the Gen2 regs
Old 9 Mar 2015, 02:38 (Ref:3513126)   #114
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
According to Speedcafe, GM could run V6 TT: http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/03/09/...lden-supercar/

If the car is based on Insignia, then the road car is likely (I guess) to stick with AWD for the performance model.

The last time there was a Twin Turbo 6cyl AWD running in the series it seemed to go OK.

By jeez they've got a lot to sort out and 2017 isn't all that far away is it?
Old 9 Mar 2015, 02:48 (Ref:3513128)   #115
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Firstly, I'd say Mr Macnamara is holding his cards close to his chest.

Secondly, I would suspect that the Gen2 rules would be 2WD only.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 07:28 (Ref:3513160)   #116
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
agreed.
It was explained rear wheel drive only
Old 9 Mar 2015, 12:15 (Ref:3513250)   #117
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Yeah, I had my tongue firmly in my cheek with the reference to AWD turbo 6.
Old 5 May 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3534550)   #118
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So... the gents at Nissan are putting their GT-R product up the flagpole for use in the GEN 2 series for which nobody has any rules of designs up yet

A PR move, to get the punters excited about the Nissan 'hero' car to make its debut to fight off the challenges from Holden (what shape will they run?), Ford (will they even participate in homologation?), Mercedes (Will Erebus be interested in changing shapes?) and Volvo (who havent identified a car yet?)

Or Lexus... if they choose to participate as well..

It is hard to understand how the teams will move to a Gen 2 architecture, vapourware as it is, while pushing their existing chassis into the Dunlop series in a flood.. and perhaps not getting great prices for them.

Is V8SC looking to make a financial contribution to the teams, as they did in the sale to Archer, to help fund & facilitate the changeover to a new chassis design, to a new body shape?

Perhaps not...

So... a team needs to find a connection to an engine package that firstly meets the criteria of that manufacturer's racing desires, and secondly is actually competitive against whatever other vapourware the other brands will tell everyone they will use.

Now.. you might have thought that a pukka engine development program will take some time to do, heck Erebus is at Y3 and only just kinda on top of it, and Nissan are still not quite there... so, shouldnt the engine selections have already been made, communicated, and development commenced?

Are the private teams like a BJR or a LDM, or even a DJRTP going to be responsible for building and developing their own engine packages with existing partners, or are their manufacturer brands stepping up and providing an engine supply for all cars in the field running their engine?

That would be a logical way to go... same engines for all... centralised development protocols.. pooled budget to build & run them... everyone then has a 'works' Holden or Ford or Lexus engine... that it is logical likely spells its unlikelihood...

Do we want to see Altimas fighting Mustangs and Camaros? I am not sure anyone in the tower of power ever asked the punters what they wanted...
Old 5 May 2015, 23:39 (Ref:3534556)   #119
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I am not sure anyone in the tower of power ever asked the punters what they wanted...
Nail on the head, when did they ask the punters about anything ??? Sprint races, tyres, or FOXTEL which is proving to be a huge mistake.
How much longer can Cashburton blunder from mistake to disaster ?
Old 6 May 2015, 23:11 (Ref:3534945)   #120
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BMW-Penske V8 Supercars link

Quote:
A high-ranking BMW executive has confirmed preliminary discussions with motor racing icon Roger Penske about teaming up for an assault on the Australian V8 Supercars championship.
Old 7 May 2015, 01:06 (Ref:3534980)   #121
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would be great to see BMW back again.
Old 7 May 2015, 01:14 (Ref:3534983)   #122
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Didnt BMW baulk at the possibility previously because they wanted to run their DTM-spec cars and the regulations didnt suit?
Old 7 May 2015, 08:48 (Ref:3535065)   #123
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like no one will have time to go racing next year with the work they'll all have to do for 2017.
Old 7 May 2015, 11:32 (Ref:3535110)   #124
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
So.... Someone at BMW who isn't responsible for this decision had a chat with Roger Penske.
Old 7 May 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3535118)   #125
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Didnt BMW baulk at the possibility previously because they wanted to run their DTM-spec cars and the regulations didnt suit?
Correct.

Usual protocol is that BMW Motorsport provides the vehicles, be it in parts, or as a race-ready unit.

This will be a decision that goes well beyond BMW Australia's marketing whizz.

I'm filing this one under 'Pipedream', for now...