Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Jun 2016, 05:40 (Ref:3652634)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lee Holdsworth's 2016 Hidden Valley Crash

Mr Holdsworth had a MEGA hit!

An odd landing spot, but it had to have hurt the car.

Conflicting reports as to Mr Holdsworth's wellness.. Hip/leg injury apparently
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Jun 2016, 07:34 (Ref:3652698)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Holdsworth had a MEGA hit!

An odd landing spot, but it had to have hurt the car.

Conflicting reports as to Mr Holdsworth's wellness.. Hip/leg injury apparently
Broken pelvis is the word, out for at least the Townsville event

Last edited by GTRMagic; 19 Jun 2016 at 07:39.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 08:21 (Ref:3652740)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
do we have more injuries under COTF than under the older structure?

I dont have much recollection of top level drivers missing races because of incident related injuries before COTF, really only lowndes at calder in the 90s
Old 19 Jun 2016, 08:29 (Ref:3652745)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

I dont have much recollection of top level drivers missing races because of incident related injuries before COTF, really only lowndes at calder in the 90s
If there are more injuries it's probably just random luck tbh. In Lee's case, he thumped a concrete wall - in the past that was an earth filled tyre bank, the hit would most likely have been a little less severe but he likely would have bounced back out into the middle of the pack, risking greater injury.

There were plenty of injuries prior to COTF, even a couple of fatalities of course. There have been a lot of changes since then across a vast range of variables so pretty hard to pin it purely on anything to do with COTF
Old 19 Jun 2016, 08:36 (Ref:3652751)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would sooner crash one of these than an ex-cab with an alloy cage in it, circa the '70s, '80s and early '90s.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 09:07 (Ref:3652792)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
More comparing to pre COTF cars though. Dont remeber any real incidents at the top level where drivers had to miss at race, yes at DVS level, but not at the top
Old 19 Jun 2016, 09:29 (Ref:3652824)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Did a (really) quick Google search & from memory:
Karl Reindler (burns after the Perth shunt - with the relocation of the tank on COTF, would the same occur now?)
Paul Dumbbell (broken finger from Darwin round)
Paul Radisich after Bathurst shunt - didn't he miss some racing?
Didn't Scott Pye have to sit out a race or two after one of his shunts?
I seem to recall Todd sitting out a race or two - I think that was how Rick had his first race, subbing for his brother?
I have a feeling that Brighty missed some races when he was at HRT didn't he?
I really don't know where you'd go to accurately compare pecky but like I say, there are always plenty of factors at play and the build of the car is simply one part of the puzzle.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3652826)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

A broken pelvis is usually a 4-5 month recovery...
Old 19 Jun 2016, 09:46 (Ref:3652839)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not many have actually sat it out from on-track injuries, surprisingly.

Lowndes, Bright, Murphy, Percat, Wall, Courtney off the top of my head.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 11:03 (Ref:3652914)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Not many have actually sat it out from on-track injuries, surprisingly.

Lowndes, Bright, Murphy, Percat, Wall, Courtney off the top of my head.
so far under COTF i have Courtney (2013), Mostert (2015), Pye (2013), Holdsworth(2016) (im not counting percat, his was due to an infection picked up from a small injury(burn) that he would have raced with if not for the infection) in 3 and half years

Where as I have Radisich x2, Lowndes in 99 (if we go back that far) Murph back injury 2012 (from an incident which may have been from a previous issue). Bright missed a round in 2011

Reindler didn't miss any rounds due to the fire (but i get that its massive safety issue that COTF has fixed), I couldnt find Wall missing due to an injury. Paul dumbrell did miss a round due to a broken finger, but i cant find how he did it?

That's all i can find. if there are others they are drivers who weren't front runners

But maybe this is all due to the competitive nature of the series and more cars being closer together
Old 20 Jun 2016, 00:17 (Ref:3653663)   #11
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

A broken pelvis is usually a 4-5 month recovery...
6 weeks SERIOUSLY ?????

No Bathurst for him I would think.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 12:37 (Ref:3653823)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

I'd say the car stood up pretty well considering. A flat side impact into a concrete wall is never good as it by-passes a lot of the bits that are meant to crumple and instead passes everything through the axles, roll cage, etc. I feared for him when I saw that. Well done to the medical crews who completed the extrication pretty quickly and more importantly, successfully.

Best wishes for a full and rapid recovery.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 23:23 (Ref:3653994)   #13
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the safety fence in that part of the track, why did the fence move out towards the track?

Or was it just an optical illusion from the camera angle?

Nasty hit but glad to see Lee is okay.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 01:55 (Ref:3654038)   #14
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why there aren't SAFER barriers on that part of the track. It's been proven over the years that it's a likely location for crashes to occur and it's now more dangerous than when the tyres were there.

The races were quite good, although unnecessarily interrupted (Tander's door in race 1, that flimsy piece of plastic in race 2). I know Schenken's retiring soon but maybe it's time he was pushed, rather than waiting for him to jump.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 02:18 (Ref:3654045)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
I don't know why there aren't SAFER barriers on that part of the track. It's been proven over the years that it's a likely location for crashes to occur and it's now more dangerous than when the tyres were there.
That wall is way better than the previous earth/tyre combination which would have seen the car ripped up and then bounced out onto the track into the pack. Having said that, there is always room for improvement in anything and a buffer in front of the wall may be something that we see there next time.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 03:29 (Ref:3654054)   #16
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do any Australian tracks have safer barriers
Old 21 Jun 2016, 06:43 (Ref:3654083)   #17
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Do any Australian tracks have safer barriers
No.

I'm not even sure if the safer barriers have been approved by the FIA. There are also other buffer alternatives for circuits that are not suitable or possible for ovals - therefore there was a need to develop the safer barrier for oval racing. Whether it really delivers any better than those other buffers in circuit racing I don't know.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 08:36 (Ref:3654102)   #18
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baku GP used SAFER barriers
Old 21 Jun 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3654121)   #19
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Thanks for that.

Googled it and apparently it's the first time SAFER has been used outside the USA. Apparently SAFER needs to be set up differently depending on what type of vehicle is likely to hit it - how that would impact on HV I don't know.

There was also plenty of Tecpro barrier in use at Baku (& other GPs) and that may be another option for the wall in question too.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 05:20 (Ref:3654357)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Baku and Le Mans. Le Mans would have been first to use this at their Test Day in early June.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 03:56 (Ref:3654580)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 23 Jun 2016, 04:28 (Ref:3654582)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So... it seems Mr Holdsworth is targeting a Sandown return...
Old 23 Jun 2016, 06:06 (Ref:3654599)   #23
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seeing as Lee has sat in that e-cell over at Erebus, I'd be fascinated to hear his take on the protection it may or may not have given him...

To me it is also a massive indication of the safety afforded by the HANS device.
ie busted leg, ribs and pelvis but neck thankfully intact

Get well soon Lethal
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 24 Jun 2016, 00:22 (Ref:3654790)   #24
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know these cars are much safer that the previous model but it has amazed me how many guys have fractured ribs over the last few years.

Is it the fact the cars are so heavy and fast? So much more inertia?
Old 24 Jun 2016, 00:29 (Ref:3654792)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
I know these cars are much safer that the previous model but it has amazed me how many guys have fractured ribs over the last few years.

Is it the fact the cars are so heavy and fast? So much more inertia?
Or poorly poured seat inserts, or seats without sufficient rib/side protection?