Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Dec 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1797502)   #1251
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is one for sale, but at that price the bloke will be hanging onto it for a loooong time.
http://www.australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/83083

I know of another sss that sold about 5 years ago for only $6000, and a Mazda 626 that sold last year for only $5000

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 25 Dec 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1799193)   #1252
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like this one

Nissan Skyline HR32 GT-R

I wonder how many other GT-P/B12/B24 cars are sitting in garages across the country??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Dec 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1799210)   #1253
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know whether it was the drivers, but that car never did make the inroads on the Mazda's I thought it would in the B12hrs.

GTR, are you going to enter a 305Z in the 12 hour? :P
Old 25 Dec 2006, 23:35 (Ref:1799213)   #1254
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the Nismo-built 350Z twin turbo were eligible... it would be a rocket.. for the first hour anyway
Old 31 Dec 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1802240)   #1255
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here'sone for you i just noticed - apologies if it has been mentioned b4, but i cant see it:

http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=6299

Interesting to see if it is actually the car they say it is. I cant see anything about a log book etc. in the ad tho.
Old 3 Jan 2007, 04:00 (Ref:1804450)   #1256
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
I think there were actually 3 B&H cars, one of which was the original car #20 which Denny Hulme died in, now back in NZ. I think there were 2 more, one of which McLean used to win the National Sports Sedan Championship, this car is still in this trim and is owned by a mate of mine and is only used a couple of times a year for BMW Club track days. One of the Diet Coke cars is in NZ. Thats about all I can tell you

Would one of these, or possibly two of these NZ BMWs be part of Dennis Chapman's private collection in the South Island?? If I remember rightly, he has one or two BMW touring cars, and at least one in Super Tourer spec
Old 3 Jan 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1804509)   #1257
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The Master in a BMW M3 at Sandown Here

Smooth driving... the engine running really high in the rev range... and a couple of Corollas biting the dust

Gotta love YouTube
Old 3 Jan 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1804992)   #1258
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

Smooth driving... the engine running really high in the rev range... and a couple of Corollas biting the dust

Gotta love YouTube
Just listen to that sound, I love it. The track shape has changed a bit since then by the looks of things, can anyone show me the layout from that meeting? The 6 speed box that is mentioned in the video would be very handy right now as the sinchro rings for the 5 speed Getrag are getting very hard to find. I think this is the car that "Gentleman Jum" has recently bought.
Old 3 Jan 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1805000)   #1259
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is the sandown long course that has since been dug up
Old 3 Jan 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1805592)   #1260
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it was extended to an 'international' length, hence the World Sports Cars of the day had a round of their world championship there. Porsche 962's, Sauber Mercs, JB & DJ running that Chev powered Ves Kanda!! Was running in the top 10 (8th IIRC) but was a dsq because it used too much fuel... (they ran a fuel limit back then..)

The extended track was also regarded as a killer on drivetrains & gearboxes....
Old 4 Jan 2007, 05:09 (Ref:1805793)   #1261
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Gotta love YouTube
Looks like a beautiful car to race.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1805973)   #1262
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Just listen to that sound, I love it. The track shape has changed a bit since then by the looks of things, can anyone show me the layout from that meeting? The 6 speed box that is mentioned in the video would be very handy right now as the sinchro rings for the 5 speed Getrag are getting very hard to find. I think this is the car that "Gentleman Jum" has recently bought.
Yeah but...850 (no not Bavarian) Morris....the gearshift looks about as positive as the one in an 850 I once owned
Old 4 Jan 2007, 11:47 (Ref:1806006)   #1263
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
Yeah, it was extended to an 'international' length, hence the World Sports Cars of the day had a round of their world championship there. Porsche 962's, Sauber Mercs, JB & DJ running that Chev powered Ves Kanda!! Was running in the top 10 (8th IIRC) but was a dsq because it used too much fuel... (they ran a fuel limit back then..)

The extended track was also regarded as a killer on drivetrains & gearboxes....
I know it was built earlier (for 1984???) but here is a link to an entry list of the 1988 entry list for this event
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-20-photo.html

- notice car 26 is the DJ/JB Ves Kanda, dsq'd for over fuel allowance! you are correct though - a top 10 running car - 8th on the grid - mind you there were ony 18 starters in that years race.
Bigger pic of the car here.

Last edited by M-Kart; 4 Jan 2007 at 11:51.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 12:00 (Ref:1806026)   #1264
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Gotta love YouTube
Yeah it's great, but it's actually Richo driving it. Have a look at the helmet. He took the first stint. Even the commentators got it wrong!
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 4 Jan 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1806650)   #1265
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Kart
I know it was built earlier (for 1984???) but here is a link to an entry list of the 1988 entry list for this event
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-20-photo.html

- notice car 26 is the DJ/JB Ves Kanda, dsq'd for over fuel allowance! you are correct though - a top 10 running car - 8th on the grid - mind you there were ony 18 starters in that years race.
Bigger pic of the car here.
I have the WEC highlights videos which cover both the 1984 & 88 events. Unfortunately do not get to see much footage of the local cars. In one of the shots though is the Group C Bluebird yet it does not appear on that website. Assuming it was probably Tony Scott & George Fury driving it. Speed difference between that and a 956 would of been ridiculous. Cant remember if it was both years or just one but the track completely fell apart.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1806652)   #1266
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Either way, the driver was really running the car on the ragged edge of the tyres... it seems to be an understeerer... and the steering lock may not be as quick as you might like either....
Old 5 Jan 2007, 06:12 (Ref:1806811)   #1267
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
I have the WEC highlights videos which cover both the 1984 & 88 events. Unfortunately do not get to see much footage of the local cars. In one of the shots though is the Group C Bluebird yet it does not appear on that website. Assuming it was probably Tony Scott & George Fury driving it. Speed difference between that and a 956 would of been ridiculous. Cant remember if it was both years or just one but the track completely fell apart.
I have the February 1985 edition of the old 'Grand Prix International' magazine infront of me, which reviews the WEC round from Sandown in 1984.

The Bluebird only follows the field around on the warm-up lap, it doesn't compete in the race

There were plenty of Australians in the C1 Porsche 956s, Vern Schuppan & Alan Jones in the third works Rothmans car, Andrew Miedecke & Colin Bond in the #34 Bob Jane T-Marts car, Jack Brabham in the Rothmans camera car....but the Australian based entries were as followed (as no cars in Australia conformed to Group C rules, a special class was formed to allow the locals in;

#64 - Allan Grice/Dick Johnson/Ron Harrop -> Chevrolet Monza
#63 - Bryan Thomson/Brad Jones -> Mercedes - Chevrolet
#62 - Jim Richards/Tony Longhurst -> BMW 320
#61 - Bap Romano/Alfredo Costanzo -> Romano - Ford
#65 - Harris/Hanger/Jones -> JWS - Mazda

Unsuprisingly the Romano Ford was the quickest of the lot in qualifying, with a 1m 38.4......the pole sitting Rothmans Porsceh of Derek Bell & soon-be-champion (at the end of that very race) Stefan Bellof did a 1m 31.6

It was this 1984 event that the track broke up, causing no end of problems, mostly for Dunlop, who were worried of running out of tyres, for instance the Jonathon Palmer/Jan Lammers Canon Porsceh changed twelve punctures, & Klaus Ludwig/Henri Pescarolo's Joest Porsche changed 8.

This summed up the Australians performance (or more accuratly, the Grice/Johnson/Harrop effort) in the race (from GPI);

"As for the Australians, they came and they saw....... The Monza was disqualified in the end for receiving outside help" (Grice had spun on the warm-up lap!) "It had shown it was competitive during the first 10 laps only. Last at the start, two laps behind Bell/Bellof by lap 20, it was never among the Group C leaders and it lost alot of time - and the front cover - when it tangled with Sir Jack Brabham's 956......."
Old 5 Jan 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1807827)   #1268
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Jane T Marts car

The car raced by Meidecke & Bond is not the same car that Brock/Perkins ran at Le Mans.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1807984)   #1269
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed not. The Miedecke/Bond car was actually one of the first 962C customer chassis, wasn't it?
Old 6 Jan 2007, 09:11 (Ref:1808002)   #1270
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly was, infact it was the only 962 in the field
Old 6 Jan 2007, 23:00 (Ref:1808534)   #1271
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many 962's would there be in Australia??

Is there much of a market for them in Australia, particularly if it was converted to a road car??
Old 6 Jan 2007, 23:19 (Ref:1808559)   #1272
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think ADR's would allow it to become a road car...
Old 6 Jan 2007, 23:42 (Ref:1808580)   #1273
Just Do It!
Veteran

Its been done before
Old 7 Jan 2007, 04:53 (Ref:1808649)   #1274
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
How many 962's would there be in Australia??

Is there much of a market for them in Australia, particularly if it was converted to a road car??
There is only one. The Blaupunkt Car owned by Rob Sherrad that finished 3rd in 1988. Schuppan made a road going version and the other road going version was the Dauer. Neither of which you would ever be able to register in Oz.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1808691)   #1275
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
so where did the bob jane t-marts porsches end up (i say porsches (plural) because, as was mentioned, the sandown medeckie car was different to the brock/perkins le mans car.

Where are these cars 2day? i thought i heard one of them was later destroyed in a crash in europe, but i'm not 100% sure.

any info would be great