Old 3 Jun 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3257282)   #1
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton June 2 Historic FF Race

Dear All

Before we can REALLY thanks you marshalls for what you do can we give you some news those involved may wish to hear....

we had an incident in the HFF race, here's an update we have sent around to our HFF competitors.

In the last minute, on almost the last bend of the last race of the day, our
HFF driver Derek Rodgers had a heart attack and crashed his car. He was
resuscitated at the track. He is now in intensive care and on a ventilator
at Norwich Hospital.

He had a CT scan where all bones, etc seem to be OK (and, knowing Dereks reputation to us all, Diane, his wife, bravely said that no new "Derek jokes" were to be found).
All vital signs are stable at present and the hospital will try to wake him up later this evening (Monday 3rd June).

Ex podium finisher in the World Karting Championships (some time ago) and a regular top ten man in our series, Derek is a well-liked member of our Formula Ford Band; our concerns and best wishes have been passed onto Diane and she and the family thank all for their help and concern.

We will let you know how he is getting on.

Regards,

Dick Dixon, Andrew Mansell (HFF reps) and Diane Rodgers
Old 4 Jun 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3257520)   #2
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats really good news following the serious concerns we had in the first hour or so at the circuit.
I was on the marshals radio and I was unable to pass on our usual thanks to the marshals as we were dealing with this really serious incident right at the end of the day. I know that the clerks and officials were very grateful to the marshal over the two days where the timetable kept us all on duty for a long time and I am sorry I could not pass on their appretiation on the day.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3257659)   #3
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
All, please pass on the good news.

Very good news from Snetterton...

After Our Derek Rodgers crash due to a heart attack in the Formula Ford race at Snetterton at the weekend here's an update.

As at 1600 hours today (Tuesday 4th June) Derek Rodgers wife has let us know that Derek has been taken out of an induced coma and is now sitting up in bed telling his awful jokes as normal!

He has a small lumbar fracture but all seems to be working as it should be and he says he has even remembered who owes him a fiver!

He is still in intensive care but it is hoped he will be taken to a ward at Norwich Hospital in the next day or two. We will let all know details of his stay there if anyone is passing with grapes.

It has to be down to prompt care at the circuit and at Norwich Hospital to thank for this brilliant result and Dianne once again wishes to thank everyone for their action however small. Also for everyone's good wishes.

Dick Dixon Historic FF Drivers rep.

best wishes have been passed onto Diane and she and the
family thank all for their help and concern.
Here's some specific wishes from those close to the series..
We wish him a speedy recovery (once he is out of intensive care). Louis & Anne Hanjoul. HFF
We'll keep our fingers crossed
everything else goes to plan.
Will Nuthall HFF
I was marshalling at Snetterton yesterday but on a different corner, I can speak for all of the orange army by passing our best wishes to Derek for a good and full recovery. Anon. (Blueoval2 10/10ths website).
We had heard the news and were
obviously very concerned about this.
Rachel Arnold CRC/HFF
We all hope and pray for a good
recovery.
regards Alex Meek HFF
We are all very upset that Derek has been hurt.
Our very Best wishes to Derek his wife and family from all at Neil Fowler Motorsport
Kind Regards David Wild HFF
I know I'm new to HFF, but would you be kind enough to pass on my best
wishes to Diane and Derek?
Thanks, Paul Summerville.
My thoughts are, and have been, with Derek
and his family. Fingers are crossed, and will look out for further updates.
Nick Ball HFF
Our thoughts are with him, regards, Simon Hadfield. HSCC/HFF
It is very good to hear he is in good hands. Clive Hayward (Merlyn CRD Ltd).
Please send my very best wishes to Derek and Diane and wishing him a complete and speedy recovery

Kind regards John Crowell HFF

I don't know Diane, but when you speak next kindly mention that I was asking
after Derek and wish the family well.
Kind regards
Marcus Pye Commentator/Journalist.

I'm sure we all wish Derek a full and speedy recovery.

John Turner Photographer & 10/tenths Website manager.

Once again our thanks must go out to the marshals and medical teams whom we all hope we will never need but it is great to know that if things do go wrong we are all in the hands of the best. We hope for a speedy and full recovery and look forward to hearing some more of Derek's litany of dirty jokes in the near future. John & Barbs Hayes-Harlow. HFF2000

Best wishes to Derek for a full recovery. Peter Wray
Historic Racing Saloon Register (HRSR).

Thoughts are very much with Derek and his family. Derek is a great bloke and I wish him all the best with his recovery.

John Farrell Classic FF racer.

Derek is a very popular competitor and we hope he makes a full recovery soon. Our sincere thanks to the marshals on the spot, the rescue and medical teams, and all of the Snetterton team for their assistance. HSCC Office.

DD
Old 4 Jun 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3257704)   #4
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick,

This is absolutely brilliant news and we are extremely pleased for Derek and his family.

I would certainly, on behalf of everyone in Race Control and the HSCC team involved in the organisation of the meeting wish Derek a speedy recovery to full health and hope to see him around soon.

I would also wish to express our sincere appreciation of the superb initial response by those marshals on Posts 18 & 19, whose swift and precise radio messages and actions allowed us to summon the excellent Snetterton Medical services so quickly to the scene.

The total support provided by the MSV Snet Medical team, BRSCC Rescue Unit, MSV staff and the HSCC team throughout was superb - a brilliant team effort, which we sometimes perhaps take for granted, but it is at times such as this that we really appreciate exactly how good it works as a team effort.

Many thanks to so many people for a great result.

Terry
Old 7 Jun 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3258856)   #5
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Reports from member of the family is that although Derek is under attention from the medics, still having treatment and sore in places, he is in good spirits.
Although I tend to think with this good weather he would rather be out than in.

I'm not sure if he has been moved to a normal ward or plans to get him off to his local hospital are taking place but I'm sure the nurses will want rid of him once he runs out of his jokes - if they have heard them all before that may be sooner than later!
Old 7 Jun 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3258954)   #6
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Historic Formula Ford. Snetterton race 2 June.

Update on our Derek Rodgers.

I have spoken with him today Friday 7th June and he wishes to be remembered to everyone and says thanks for cards and good wishes. He is quite happy to be alive and is rather appreciative of the care he has been given...He was quite taken with the thought that the main medic attending him after his disappearance from the action was a Mr. Hart. He says he is fully plumbed-in and is slowly recovering but will be subject to an op or further treatment at the Norwich Hospital.

He has been having family visitors this week and hopes when angiograms ("rolling road" he said,) tests have been done and with a bit more rest should be able to see anyone who happens by after next week - subject to contact with his wife Dianne. He has not run out of jokes just yet. They may come out a little slower at the moment but they are as bad as they ever were.

We wish him well and I'll be sending him a card from the Formula Ford lads with all your email messages HFF Co-ordinator Andrew Mansell & I have collated but if you want to send your own here's where he is at the moment. Rgds. Dick Dixon. HFF rep.

PS If anyone wishes to visit Norwich Hospital in the near future please contact me on jane.dikko(AT)virgin.net or ring 01920 871153.

Mr D Rodgers,
Coronary Care Ward
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
Colney Lane
Norwich
NR4 7UY
Old 12 Jun 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3261571)   #7
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He hasn't changed one bit.

I found a phone number for "Dirk" yesterday and texted him to ask after his wellbeing. In said text I said "keep your pecker up"
30 seconds later a reply came back "keep my pecker up who?"

I had a chat with him last night and things look on the up, although he thinks he will be in Norwich for about another week. When he gets out (escapes) he wants a drive in a locals tractor before heading north.

Finally, he said that having come so close at Snett, he is thinking about planning for the day when he eventually pops off. "I've decided to have my ashes scattered ............" I was expecting him to say at Old Hall and he continued ............ "at Next. At least that way I know Diane will visit me at least twice a week".
Old 15 Jun 2013, 08:19 (Ref:3262938)   #8
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Had a phone call from him Friday 14 June. Seems the hospital have heard all the jokes they need and have sent him home! He has a lot more but he kept that quiet in case they kept him there...
How efficient/lucky etc is that? He'll be up for a by-pass op when he is more mobile from the back damage.
Nice one everyone. Thanks for looking after us. The HFF boys.