Old 9 Sep 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3572684)   #1
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sum up the 2015 season

Heres my take:

Biggest surprise: Graham Rahal, that came out of nowhere, i mean there had been flashes of speed in the DW12 era but he was so consistent. and the one car team thing only seemed to matter a few times, mostly the oval aero settings.

Saddest Moment: RIP Badass. such a sad loss, tragic but a freak accident. There have been many close calls in this sort of situation, it was only a matter of time. Iirc Helio had a tire bounce off his mirror at Indy a few years back. A few inches makes all the difference.

Best Road/street Race: Barber. Great racing, plenty of passing, different strategies, people getting caught out by yellows, some fuel saving, some going for it and 2nd place hunting down the leader to the finish, what more would you want.

Best oval race: Fontana/Indy. Fontana was edge of the seat stuff, I know its been debated a lot but I loved it and will be rewatching over the off season. Indy is always good regardless but a great race this year

Biggest dissapointment: Coletti, So fast in testing and nowhere when it mattered. Maybe KV saw a kid with money to spend and thought "we gotta make him look good so he cant hand the cheque over quick enough." something not right there

Usual under performance: Castroneves: No wins but 3 poles. Never going to win a championship until he can string a season together.

Its about time award: Newgarden. A great season, especially towards the end. I hope he finds a new team over the winter. if not I hope that CFH can get their pitstops sorted.

Biggest waste of money: Aero kits. Didn't really add much for me.

Lets hear your thoughts, if you want to keep the same format, that would be good:
Old 9 Sep 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3572740)   #2
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biggest surprise: agree, Graham Rahal. Boy did he look convincing at times, particularly when he was hunting the leader down at Barber.

Saddest Moment: Is there any other choice? JW. That is the first time I've been watching a race when a fatal accident occurred. An experience none of us want to repeat.

Best Road/street Race: I'll say Toronto in my usual biased way - partly because I was there, but mostly because the CFH 1-2 of Newgarden and Filippi was really fun to see.

Best oval race: Fontana was exciting but so scary. So I'll say Indy, because Indy.

Biggest disappointment: Three way tie. (1) Ed Carpenter, fails to do anything much (two top tens and getting taken out a couple of times notwithstanding), plus his self-righteous lecture to Sage Karam after Iowa; (2) Pippa Mann once again failing to do anything but run at the back, limited starts taken into account, and (3) the finale; while I like Dixon, the lack of JPM and Rahal being in contention due to various things was a real disappointment IMHO.

Usual under performance: Agree, Castroneves. Honourable mention to James Jakes, and yes I know he's not in the best car with one of the best teams. Second honourable mention to Marco, although he did have some decent results.

Its about time award: Rahal.

Biggest waste of money: the massive heap of bits of Honda front wings left on the track during the early part of the season.

Tip of the hat to: Gabby Chaves. Led some laps, Rookie of the Year. A nice start for a promising young man. Let's hope IndyCar doesn't chew him up and spit him out.
Old 9 Sep 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3572765)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This series, once again leaves me mostly torn.

The great races were great and there were many more than the bad ones, but the bad ones were completely amateurish on just about every level.

Some sparse crowds, questionable schedules, questionable tracks included and great ones excluded.

Some of the best drivers in the world, but they happen race in the most hideous cars imaginable, IHMO.

Wonderful points battle between some new faces, with some of the old hands mixed in.

In the end, it's an overall sour taste for me as something that was heavily criticized as a looking foolish and a possible real danger from it's introduction has helped bring on great sadness for me (and many others) and this sport again.

I can't honestly say I'm a fan right now.

Time heals lots of wounds and there's plenty of that until the start of 2016.
Old 9 Sep 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3572785)   #4
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burp View Post
Heres my take:

Best Road/street Race: Barber. Great racing, plenty of passing, different strategies, people getting caught out by yellows, some fuel saving, some going for it and 2nd place hunting down the leader to the finish, what more would you want.
:
That was a good race! I picked a good one to see in person.
You are right about the different strategies. Listening to it
play out with the drivers on the scanner was crazy. It was a coin
flip for some teams. Rahal was not happy when he was told to
come in for his last stop. I think he came back out in mid pack
and fought back.