Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jul 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2728428)   #1
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cholmondeley Pageant of Power - what a great day!

As the Goodwood FoS has a thread I think the Cholmondeley PoP deserves one too; we had a great day there yesterday, amongst some truely unique cars and bikes driven and ridden by some great names from the past.

Highlights were too many to list, there was simply so much to see, hear and sniff (Castrol R). OK, here's a few: Bentley Speed 8, Birdcage Maserati, Mavis, Brutus (from the Sindsheim Museum), Auto Union D Type, ERA, all manner of superb stuff from the Wheatcroft Collection running "for Wheatie", Baby Bertha, TWR Jaguar (which had an 'off'), Paddy Hopkirk's Mini Cooper S - all wonderful to watch. We were parked right by the track in the Club area so could sit and watch the action at leisure - or in my case stand on my toolbox and take photos (287 in all, I'll try and sort through them a post a few once I've figured how).

Having last attended the FoS about five years ago, I reckon the PoP rates right alongside it. Did anyone else go and what did they think of the event?
Old 18 Jul 2010, 17:17 (Ref:2728547)   #2
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I marshaled it yesterday and had to call the TWR Jag in as it fell off just after my post (10, crossing point for the Helo rides) absolutely superb day, all manner of fantastic machinery being driven very spiritedly, topped of with a conversation with the current owner/driver of the 5ltr Beetle, brilliant car, smashing bloke and a really great event. Cant wait until next year
Old 18 Jul 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2728624)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
I marshaled it yesterday and had to call the TWR Jag in as it fell off just after my post (10, crossing point for the Helo rides) absolutely superb day, all manner of fantastic machinery being driven very spiritedly, topped of with a conversation with the current owner/driver of the 5ltr Beetle, brilliant car, smashing bloke and a really great event. Cant wait until next year
Loved it.

The Jag when it got going again.

Was that why the spectators were moved back a bit later in the day?
Old 19 Jul 2010, 05:54 (Ref:2728852)   #4
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was a part of the reason, the barrier should have been where I put it to begin with but as it was wet and the cars were coming quite slowly, I wasn't too concerned in the morning, however when the track dried obviously speeds increased and it became a safety issue to move people back a bit.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 07:44 (Ref:2728878)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That was a part of the reason, the barrier should have been where I put it to begin with but as it was wet and the cars were coming quite slowly, I wasn't too concerned in the morning, however when the track dried obviously speeds increased and it became a safety issue to move people back a bit.
It was a good part of the circuit for photos

Old 19 Jul 2010, 09:19 (Ref:2728905)   #6
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Nice! Nicer because you dont have me in any of the shots! The Hairy Canary was awesome and the Matra a real favourite!
Old 19 Jul 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2728907)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley54 View Post
As the Goodwood FoS has a thread I think the Cholmondeley PoP deserves one too
Quite right; indeed, every historic racing car event should have its own thread. No-one should be shy about starting a thread on such an event if no-one else has. Between us, I suspect we can cover most of them.

Great shots, Alan.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2728919)   #8
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
A few more.

Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:00 (Ref:2728929)   #9
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Great stuff Alan, by the way, who got the fastest time? I wasnt able to stay until the end, due to family issues.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2728934)   #10
Craig Senior
Rookie

England
Harewood
Craig Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fastest time went to Nick Faulkner in the Lamborghini Gallardo with a 62 something IIRC.

Excellent weekend spent on Post 1, great cars and company. Can't wait for next year.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:09 (Ref:2728938)   #11
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Thanks Craig. I knew it was quick just needed to be dry for a really fast time to be set
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2728946)   #12
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Results here: http://www.tsl-timing.com/sprint/2010/102881.pdf
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2728977)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did the P25 damage its nose on a straw bale?
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2728985)   #14
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Did the P25 damage its nose on a straw bale?
Yes, on one of the early runs.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2728987)   #15
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
If that was the No 6 light green single seater (forgive my lack of knowledge) He stuffed it at post 6 fairly early on saturday.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2730211)   #16
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would seem everybody had a great day out, except Don Law if the reports are correct that his car caught fire?
Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2730232)   #17
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
There was definitely a car fire on the Saturday in the Paddock. Heard it over the radio but didn't know which car it was?
Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2730237)   #18
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem to have been much improved over past years so may well be on the list to go to in the future.
On an event like that how do they get the cars and drivers? Do they get appearance/starting money?
Old 21 Jul 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2730252)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
There was definitely a car fire on the Saturday in the Paddock. Heard it over the radio but didn't know which car it was?
It was the aforementioned Don Law (driver Justin Law) car.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2730264)   #20
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
It would seem everybody had a great day out, except Don Law if the reports are correct that his car caught fire?
Yes it caught fire due to a fuel leak and was put out quickly by efficient marshal's before any real damage was done.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2730304)   #21
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Justin - car 19.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2730318)   #22
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Thanks Karen, Just glad it wasnt totalled, would have been a real shame to lose any of those cars!
Old 26 Jul 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2733318)   #23
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Yes it caught fire due to a fuel leak and was put out quickly by efficient marshal's before any real damage was done.
Heres a link of pics of the fire which shows who really put it out ??

http://www.marielloydphotography.co....eant-of-power/
Old 26 Jul 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2733419)   #24
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
I was on post 10 and we just heard it over the radio, very well done to the two brave souls who reacted fast and well to extinguish that blaze! sure it saved the car, Im sure our fire marshals would have been there very quickly which seems to be the case in the photos
Old 26 Jul 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2733557)   #25
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was 3 of us me my brother Guy and Don who preps the car ! Justin was v lucky as his gloves were properly singed !!