Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 8 Feb 2013, 01:06 (Ref:3200979)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would you buy a Hybrid?

Just thought I would throw this one out there at my fellow Ten-Tenther's, would you buy a Hybrid car these days?
Old 8 Feb 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3201064)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have never been a fan of the current crop of Hibrid ones but I have been following this development after seeing an experimental one a couple of years ago in Spain being driven around under cover.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2KFlDl6a1
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Feb 2013, 08:59 (Ref:3201066)   #3
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they have imporved since the first Prius, but are they the answer. I am not so sure
Old 8 Feb 2013, 09:36 (Ref:3201092)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

No.

Jim
Old 8 Feb 2013, 10:34 (Ref:3201135)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like the idea of that hydrogen powered Honda better as an alternative energy car
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Feb 2013, 10:48 (Ref:3201142)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't buy a new hybrid because its environmental credentials are destroyed when you factor in the environmental impact of manufacture, assembly and scrapping.

I wouldn't rule out a used one, on the basis it already exists, so the manufacture, assembly and scrapping impact are someone else's fault.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3201188)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i too have been following the one that runs on compressed air. i would definitely consider one of those for future purchase, if it was made by a company that made proper bulletproof nice cars. also if the manufacturing process was sustainable and not worse on the planet than a normal car.

the battery ones i wouldn't touch with a bargepole. the batteries are evil for the environment, there's no real gains to be had from fuel economy if you're not a town dweller, and they look silly.

also, have you ever been overtaken by one? me neither.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3201190)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was overtaken by a Pious on the M11 once. It was being mercilessly hammered and was probably returning about 17mpg.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3201207)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The Peugeot compressed air idea has an appeal. Autocar had an in depth (yes, really!) write up on progress so far a few weeks back. Have to say was impressed. I see Mercedes / Mitsubishi trucks have a Canter 7.5 tonner with hybrid battery tech under evaluation, so it is spreading........

And with regard to saving the planet- I was waiting at the rail station few weeks ago during a cold spell and a Prius arrived with driver and passenger. It then sat in car park for good 10 minutes with engine running, obviously to keep the occupants warm.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 14:26 (Ref:3201235)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I was overtaken by a Pious on the M11 once. It was being mercilessly hammered and was probably returning about 17mpg.
at 70mph they look about as stable as a weebl on a skateboard. no thx...
Old 8 Feb 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3201269)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No way. 10 years later and the fuel savings still does not repay the premium. Dedicated hybrids like the Pious and Insight are for people trying to make a statement on a topic which they know nothing about. Fortunately, the stigma around diesel is slowing going away here.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3201273)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
My daughters little Suzuki Alto is more green and only costs 30 quid a year to tax and is nippy and fun to drive and up for sale soon!
Old 8 Feb 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3201302)   #13
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Swap deals involving SB2 blocks considered....
Old 8 Feb 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3201317)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I have never been a fan of the current crop of Hibrid ones but I have been following this development after seeing an experimental one a couple of years ago in Spain being driven around under cover.

Ford US has been developing a similar idea using oil instead of air for quite a few years now.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3201351)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well it was -40 degrees Celsius here the other day and unless i move or the climate drastically changes i will stick with the warmer gas powered car.

most of the taxis here are now prius cars and they have the worst heaters and i cant imagine them saving the driver any money in this weather. the other day i saw a Honda Insight? (the ones with the cover over the rear wheels, stuck in about 10-12 cm of snow and the more the driver tried to "rock' his car out the more snow built up in the rear wheel wells and the more stuck they got. we tried to help but they got nervous about it doing damage to the rear so they chose to wait for a tow.

not built for Winnipeg!
Old 8 Feb 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3201372)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
From the viewpoint of being worth anything in future years IMHO the original Insight may be about the only one, but as a modern classic rather than a useable motor car! But avoid snow, by the sound of it........

Old 8 Feb 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3201400)   #17
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
at 70mph they look about as stable as a weebl on a skateboard. no thx...
Having driven one as a pool car I can confirm the above statements are correct. They may make sense as a town car, but for longer distances get something "normal".
Old 8 Feb 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3201457)   #18
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post

This is really interesting technology! Way way better than batteries, and Marbot, a three cylinder to boot.

Would never buy a current Hybrid, just a smoke screan for environmental vandalism imo, batteries indeed!
Just makes an "efficient" internal combustion engine inefficient.

p.s. I don't like the idea of electric steering, if its as reliable as my cars windows, you're dead!
Old 9 Feb 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3201495)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
p.s. I don't like the idea of electric steering, if its as reliable as my cars windows, you're dead!
I don't know many cars that are made now that don't have electric steering and to be honest most haven't had too many problems, Honda had a recall on the civic a few years back, but as for the Fiat one most packed up several times under warranty (typical Italian crap electrics).

When I mentioned about the Hybrid being tested under cover on the road in Spain do other people notice these strange looking cars with "clip on" panels over the bodywork in other parts of world ?
Even back in the early 70s I used to see them down in our part of Spain being driven around and I saw a new (heavily disguised) Merc parked up in the street in one of the local villages before Christmas.
As for hydrogen ! that "could" be more dangerous than petrol and at the moment is certainly not cost effective to produce as a road fuel.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 9 Feb 2013 at 00:45.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Feb 2013, 11:25 (Ref:3201723)   #20
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
When I saw mention of being powered by compressed-air, my first and immediate thought was of those receipt/change capsules used in old department stores years ago (I remember the local Co-Op had them).

I assumed we'd all be sitting in these capsules and being propelled at Thrust SSC speeds to work. Every journey like a trip to Alton Towers.

(BTW how DO electric cars power their heaters? By electric elements? Or do you just freeze to death?)
Old 9 Feb 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3201726)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
When I saw mention of being powered by compressed-air, my first and immediate thought was of those receipt/change capsules used in old department stores years ago
Wow, you really are old! And I can remember them as well.
Old 9 Feb 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3201732)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
918 yes,anything else no.
Old 9 Feb 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3201743)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
918 yes,anything else no.
Ahhh, hybrid supercars......

You'll probably be able to get a decent discount off the £600K plus Porker sticker price, as rumour has it that Joe public is not over excited at the ownership prospect, thus orders are not flooding in. Jag have, probably sensing the market reaction, canned their hybrid CX-75 project. Meanwhile Lamborghini shifted over 900 Aventadors last year, no hybrid tech to go wrong and a snip at £250K.

Old 9 Feb 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3201759)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing else will do an easy 7:20 around the Ring,on electric power Mike.
Old 9 Feb 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3201762)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
But how many owners of that type of car ever drive them at that speed?