Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1661402)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumi's billion-dollar BMW farewell.

F1 Racing has an interesting piece of speculation regarding the end of Micheal Schumacher's career.

Apparantly, Willi Weber and BMW have been having secret talks about 2008. The idea is for Schumi to drive for them in '08, and would go alone with a massive marketing campain, billed as his "farewell year". This would include lots of merchandise, specialy themed pit lane parks, special editon road care and the like. This could potentially earn Schumi up to one billion US dollars.

Both BMW and Schumi are based in tax-freindly Switzerland, which I suppose give this idea some credibility. And I don't think Schumi could turn down the money involved... We could also play the old "stranger things have happened" card.

Personally, I doubt this will happen. He'll end his career at Ferrari, probably in 2007 IMHO.

Interesting theory nonetheless.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1661420)   #2
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never say never, but I don't think this will happen. He does not need the money, and I cannot see him not "racing" (running mid pack in a BMW).
Old 21 Jul 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1661432)   #3
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein
Never say never, but I don't think this will happen. He does not need the money, and I cannot see him not "racing" (running mid pack in a BMW).
Some (including myself) would argue that being in the middle of the pack and gaining enough postions to get into the points is alot more like racing than winning from pole and not having to overtake anybody.

Plausable rumour from BMW's point of view... looks like the '07 line up will be NH and JV.. even if Kubica does make it into JV's race seat I can't see it being a multiyear contract because of the risks involved.... so when JV leaves at the end of '07 it would be a stunning acheivement for BMW Sauber to have two German drivers and by '08 they plan to be challenging for wins...they might even be able to afford it.

but

From MS point of view though... I can't see the point... he would risk going out on a low note... he must have a massive sentimental attachment to Ferrari by now... not to mention the rumours a while back of him going into Ferrari management.

Nice idea, amazing if true... but I can't see it.

edit--> and also I'd be really gutted to see Quick Nick have to be Schummys b****, I'd much rather see Nick as world champion for BMW than Michael.

Last edited by Matski; 21 Jul 2006 at 11:46.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 12:00 (Ref:1661441)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A world championship victory would be cheaper and more effective marketing for BMW.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1661559)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
A world championship victory would be cheaper and more effective marketing for BMW.
Never underestimate the insidiousness of Marketing Types.

It may not even have been in actual discussion, but its posting here means that someone somewhere is trying to figure out how to work the angle.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1661578)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
From MS point of view though... I can't see the point... he would risk going out on a low note... he must have a massive sentimental attachment to Ferrari by now... not to mention the rumours a while back of him going into Ferrari management.

Nice idea, amazing if true... but I can't see it.
I've seen little evidence of sentimentality in Schumacher's career thus far. In fact one of the characteristics that's marked him out from the crowd has been a distinct lack of it.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1661586)   #7
Matski
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
I've seen little evidence of sentimentality in Schumacher's career thus far. In fact one of the characteristics that's marked him out from the crowd has been a distinct lack of it.
I just think that Ferrari must be quite a big part of his life, but more so that he is a massive part of the Ferrari F1 brand. Maybe 'Sentimental' is the wrong word.. but I could see a situation where maybe Ferrari offer him some kind of deal to keep out of anybody else garage...
Old 21 Jul 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1661599)   #8
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael Schumacher retiring in a BMW? Surely, you jest. It would be like Hank Aaron playing DH for the Brewers, or Pele fiddling around with the New York Cosmos.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1661602)   #9
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Just think of the PR value of having a WDC in your car ... oh wait ... never mind.
-
Old 21 Jul 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1661613)   #10
Matski
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Just think of the PR value of having a WDC in your car ... oh wait ... never mind.
-
Old 21 Jul 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1661620)   #11
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW would actually be a good way for Schumacher to wind down his career. As said, he's based in Switzerland with his family so a year driving for Sauber would surely allow him more time at home without having to travel to Italy for testing every other week.

Even though I suspect Schumacher stopped driving 'for the money' years ago who could possibly turn down the oppertunity to earn massive royalty cheques and bonuses? One mediocre year at BMW wouldn't dent his legacy any, infact, it's likely that BMW will have a podium capable car in a season or two.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1661623)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its highly unlikely that Schumacher will end his career anywhere other than Ferrari... and those are his own words. Ferrari have offered him continuity with their organization after he's stopped driving and that's something that appeals to him.

BMW have done some strange things in their time... the acquisition and disposal of the Rover Group for one... but spending USD1BN on a driver to cruise out the end of their career when that driver is synonymous with Ferrari [a BMW competitor] and always will be is a step even too far for them.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1661627)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure the $1 Billion is potential earnings. Such as if he won every single race and took BMW to the title, along with royalties from endorsing a road car and merchandising. Unlikely he'll achieve even half of the billion, but it looks great on paper. In reality he would probably make a couple of hundred million including his already massive retainer for driving.

It's all speculation, but I'd imagine that's the kind of deal on the table (if it exists).
Old 21 Jul 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1661668)   #14
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant see Schumacher agreeing to this. But i can see Webber eyeing up the chances to make more money.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1661678)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesi95
But i can see Webber eyeing up the chances to make more money.
What's Mark WeBBer got to do with this.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1661689)   #16
alesi95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
What's Mark WeBBer got to do with this.
TYpO!
Old 21 Jul 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1661746)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1 billion dollars is a stretch. I don't see that happening.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1661776)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say, when F1 Racing popped through the letterbox this evening, my opinions on the magazine reached an all time low when I read that banner headline.

It's not going to happen in a million (billion?) years. Unless BMW come up with an uber car.

One billion dollars. What a load of rubbish, F1 Racing do come up with some fanciful stuff. This is the magazine that was as sure as sure can be that Schuey was off to Red Bull for 2006.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1661866)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the magazine that talked about Schumacher running his own team next year.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1661992)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed.

F1 Racing has been in a constant decline for some years now.

Still, I've been getting the subscription payed for me for about the last 6 (or more) years. One year got a year's subscription payed as a Xmas present, and it has just been renewed each year. If it wasn't for the fact I get it for nothing, then I doubt I would still be getting it.

It will be interesting to see the article (won't get to my door for sometime yet).

Anyway, to the topic: it just won't ever happen; end of discussion, really.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1662127)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I have to say, when F1 Racing popped through the letterbox this evening, my opinions on the magazine reached an all time low when I read that banner headline.

It's not going to happen in a million (billion?) years. Unless BMW come up with an uber car.

One billion dollars. What a load of rubbish, F1 Racing do come up with some fanciful stuff. This is the magazine that was as sure as sure can be that Schuey was off to Red Bull for 2006.

I agree on that. This is the magazine that had Häkkinen dressed in BAR gear for 2005... I remember I wrote a letter on that issue, asking for more facts and less speculation. Seems like they didn't listen to me much!
Old 22 Jul 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1662129)   #22
alesi95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
And the magazine that talked about Schumacher running his own team next year.

I remember F1 magazine (Bernies Rag) at the start of 2002 was hell bent on Ralf Schumacher winning the 02 title and then starting his own team afterwards with his brother.
Then werent even treating it as Speculation, it was Fact in their eyes.

*Dances of F1 magazines grave*
Old 22 Jul 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1662148)   #23
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it seems a little far fetched. if schumaacher was going to have his last season. Think ferrari is were he will stay. I thought it was a very intreasting article. but i really don't think it willl happen. do williams evan have the money to sign Schummacher
Old 22 Jul 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1662150)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzF1rocks
do williams evan have the money to sign Schummacher
Since 1812 Williams and BMW are no more the same team...

and to answer your question... BMW have enough money to sign Schumacher...but can they promise him a race winning car to end his career on a high is debatable.

It wont happen... MS has always said he'll end at Ferrari and i dont see that changing...and as everyone has pointed out f1racing is pants!
Old 22 Jul 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1662186)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Blimey it's amazing how an elaborate joke can create so much controversy!

Schumacher will do whatever Schumacher feels like at the time.

At this point he'll do one more year for Ferrari and if he wants to carry on after that and declares himself a free agent it'll be a bidding war even at the age of 39/40!

I can't see him packing it in until he gets beaten over a season by someone with comparable equipment and I don't necessarily mean by someone in the same team.

I reckon BMW will be in the hunt for wins next year and that may well be enough to tempt Schumacher or any ot the other top liners, should they have a duff year with whatever they are driving next year.

We shouldn't be surprised by anything, remember Irvine going to Ferrari, Button joining Williams, Mansell joining McLaren.....Montoya going to NASCAR!!!!