Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jun 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3747072)   #176
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lewis was complaining that the SC wasn't going fast enough at one point and then gets dropped by it due to restart gamesmanship. Vettel was attempting to stay close so he didn't get dropped by Lew on a restart. Then $hit happened as it does sometimes in motor racing.

I don't think Vettel would've reacted the way he did if it hadn't been something out of the norm.

Then the overreacting took place. Something no one disputes. I think we're all overacting to a racing incident on a tight circuit and a complete whackadoo race.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3747074)   #177
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
...I think we're all overacting to a racing incident on a tight circuit and a complete whackadoo race.
agreed.

but it is something different to talk about!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3747079)   #178
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ays, I suppose my main point is that I genuinely think that the reaction of many here, and in the motor sport world generally is a completely over the top.

What ever the exact cause of Vettel's anger, and we know his view, what followed was quite trivial. Petulant, wrong headed, crass? maybe. but it was hardly a blood bath, merely sticking out the tongue. But then I am old enough to remember when racing drivers were heroes, not pampered kids.

It is just my own personal opinion, after all, and yes my utter dislike of Hamilton is well known, but I don't feel that it is relevant to my point. It could have been anybody on the receiving end, and still just a silly thing to do not WW3.

Cheers,

Baub.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3747081)   #179
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i dont think its fair to apply the sporting standards of another series to criticize a driver from a different series, especially, when its acknowledge that there are different rules/procedures between the two.

to point out that there is a better way to do things for sure but to call LH's action un sporting because they do things differently somewhere else is a tad extreme imo.

in F1, any driver leading the pack would have slowed or attempted to back up the pack and typically when they do we applaud the driver for it as this is not only the expected behaviour it was up until now universally considered an important skill to have in F1.
I'm pretty extreme, chili. I'm on the far right.

I'm not trying to apply rules from other series but explain where my viewpoint is coming from. When I see the intial incident, my brain automatically says "He (HAM) can't do that!", because that is against the rules and not considered good sportsmanship in pretty much every series here. In F1/FIA this obviously is not the case.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3747083)   #180
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
agreed.

but it is something different to talk about!

Sure beats nagging about how boring it was!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3747085)   #181
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

'More than Words' my friend!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3747088)   #182
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I'm not trying to apply rules from other series but explain where my viewpoint is coming from. When I see the intial incident, my brain automatically says "He (HAM) can't do that!", because that is against the rules and not considered good sportsmanship in pretty much every series here. In F1/FIA this obviously is not the case.
This. Even all the way down to the local levels, if you play games on a restart you get one do-over, and if you do it again you get sent to the back.

Edit:// Just looked up the track on google earth and did some measurements - the distance between the point at which the leaders would fire off on the restart and the s/f line was nearly 2.5km. That's dumb.

Last edited by Matt; 26 Jun 2017 at 20:00.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 20:04 (Ref:3747092)   #183
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Ays, I suppose my main point is that I genuinely think that the reaction of many here, and in the motor sport world generally is a completely over the top.

What ever the exact cause of Vettel's anger, and we know his view, what followed was quite trivial. Petulant, wrong headed, crass? maybe. but it was hardly a blood bath, merely sticking out the tongue. But then I am old enough to remember when racing drivers were heroes, not pampered kids.

It is just my own personal opinion, after all, and yes my utter dislike of Hamilton is well known, but I don't feel that it is relevant to my point. It could have been anybody on the receiving end, and still just a silly thing to do not WW3.

Cheers,

Baub.
I'm happy to agree to disagree. Clearly I think it was a long way from trivial. We'll see what Vettel does the next time the mist descends......
Old 26 Jun 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3747098)   #184
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there has been an overreaction.

I do think that in any given situation, a driver's number one responsibility regardless of status or fame or championship position is to not drive into the car in front. I hope we all agree on that bit - I do accept that racing narrows the margins somewhat, of course.

If we also take the stewards' position that Hamilton didn't do anything abnormal (personally, I think we have to accept that otherwise we're back to conspiracies and then where will it ever end) then what we have is a human (an extraordinarily talented and very handsomely compensated one, but still a human) making a mistake. Happens all the time. I expected a "What are we doing here?!" outburst and a demand for Charlie Whiting to penalise Lewis followed a few laps later by a "no further action". Maybe some grumpy radio from Hamilton, maybe he loses his vision, just your normal Formula 1 fun.

But... I just can't get over the next bit. Really sorry, I just don't understand how anyone can look at that deliberate swipe and go "yep, good old fashioned racing!"

It can't be 'just handbags', or however it was referred to earlier.

"Oh, he only drove into him at safety car speeds, leave him alone."

"Ah, but he only drove into him in a slow corner, let him be."

"Well, he only caused minor damage, what's the problem?"

"Come on, he only punctured one tyre, where's the harm?"

Yeah, I'm being ridiculous (I hope...) but my point is, if this is allowable, then where do we cross the line into something worth over-reacting to?

If I was race director or whoever makes the call, I'd have had Ferrari call him in exactly one second later and send him home while I work out how many races he's banned for.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3747099)   #185
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Different views from different parts of the world.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3747100)   #186
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post

I do think that in any given situation, a driver's number one responsibility regardless of status or fame or championship position is to not drive into the car in front. I hope we all agree on that bit - I do accept that racing narrows the margins somewhat, of course.

If we also take the stewards' position that Hamilton didn't do anything abnormal (personally, I think we have to accept that otherwise we're back to conspiracies and then where will it ever end) then what we have is a human (an extraordinarily talented and very handsomely compensated one, but still a human) making a mistake. Happens all the time. I expected a "What are we doing here?!" outburst and a demand for Charlie Whiting to penalise Lewis followed a few laps later by a "no further action". Maybe some grumpy radio from Hamilton, maybe he loses his vision, just your normal Formula 1 fun.

But... I just can't get over the next bit. Really sorry, I just don't understand how anyone can look at that deliberate swipe and go "yep, good old fashioned racing!"

Yeah, I'm being ridiculous (I hope...) but my point is, if this is allowable, then where do we cross the line into something worth over-reacting to?

If I was race director or whoever makes the call, I'd have had Ferrari call him in exactly one second later and send him home while I work out how many races he's banned for.
Yep, with you all the way there Bill.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 20:32 (Ref:3747105)   #187
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let me start by saying that it is not right that a driver finishes second after being a lap down, because he got lucky with the SC free pass rule. In my view it is not fair, unless you introduce a token SC for every race. Yes, Bottas did a good job, but it is a very hollow second place. If you're a lap down you should unlap yourself on your own merit, not given to you just because you got lucky with a SC. Bottas actually looked like he would unlap himself anyway before the SC came out

The race itself was farcical at times. Failing timing screens, SC going too slow, SC period going on too long, too much debris on track due to too much aero on modern cars and as for Seb, whatever Lewis did, you cannot take the law into your own hands. Seb is a great driver, but as we saw in Mexico last season if he feels unjust he lets the red mist get the better of him

Stroll I am proud of, I would love to see people criticise him now. As Mario Andretti said if you can drive, you can drive period. After looking lost at Monaco, he has really come on leaps and bounds the last two races. Hope he continues to do better

Max must have wondered if he ran over a black cat recently, as too often he has been put out of a good position by bad luck. He needs a change of it soon. However take nothing away from the Honey Badger, yes he got lucky, but what a brilliant drive from being a bit down

The Valterri/Kimi incident, well Valterri tried to give him room and bounced off the kerb into Kimi, while about the two Force Indias, I feel Ocon could have given Checo more room on the exit

Finally, it's so good to see Fred finish in the points, he deserves it more than Honda
Old 26 Jun 2017, 23:43 (Ref:3747137)   #188
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
why is it up to the leader to dictate the pace? because the safety car isn't there (or fast enough) to do it for them?
IndyCar doesn't have these problems.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 23:58 (Ref:3747141)   #189
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

What ever happened to Nuno Bettencourt?
Old 27 Jun 2017, 00:17 (Ref:3747142)   #190
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He said he can't explain why the rules say that. #160

There must be some explanation or logic behind the rule, somewhere..
The "leader sets the pace" approach taken by the FIA was part of the approach used from when safety cars were first introduced into FIA racing (to replace the previous approach of red-flagging then re-starting the race). I think that happened in the mid/late nineties from memory but happy to be corrected on that.

So 20 or more years ago. Seems to have worked in most situation over those 20 or so years but I suspect that the actual explanation or logic behind the rule would be lost in the mists of time - although we could all take a good guess.

The current F1 system of the SC driving away from the field LONG before the control line is probably more of a culprit than the "leader sets the pace" rule IMHO. Baku highlighted this - it might be that the activation point at Baku is changed in future years based on Sunday's somewhat messy SC re-starts (not just the "red mist" one - they were all at least slightly shambolic).
Old 27 Jun 2017, 00:53 (Ref:3747150)   #191
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The "leader sets the pace" approach taken by the FIA was part of the approach used from when safety cars were first introduced into FIA racing (to replace the previous approach of red-flagging then re-starting the race). I think that happened in the mid/late nineties from memory but happy to be corrected on that.

So 20 or more years ago. Seems to have worked in most situation over those 20 or so years but I suspect that the actual explanation or logic behind the rule would be lost in the mists of time - although we could all take a good guess.

The current F1 system of the SC driving away from the field LONG before the control line is probably more of a culprit than the "leader sets the pace" rule IMHO. Baku highlighted this - it might be that the activation point at Baku is changed in future years based on Sunday's somewhat messy SC re-starts (not just the "red mist" one - they were all at least slightly shambolic).
Great post, thanks. I forget how comparitively rare SC are in F1 sometimes.

On those rare occasions, I think there is room for improvement. Usually the 2nd place driver is waaaaay too far back! Not this time!
Old 27 Jun 2017, 00:54 (Ref:3747151)   #192
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
From my patchy memory it was brought in near Imola 94 but before Senna's death.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 02:58 (Ref:3747164)   #193
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

This.

As I stated before, the point at which the field was restarting on Sunday was a whopping 2.5km from the control line.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 07:02 (Ref:3747197)   #194
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post

Best post on this thread. Agree with you 100%.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 07:06 (Ref:3747200)   #195
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me Hamilton several times appeared to breach reg 39.10, by not keeping within 10 lengths of the SC, including when the incident occurred - SC lights were still on at that point! So it may not even be a case of the lead car dictating the pace, although I would have to say that slowing down on the exit of a corner when you are leading the field should be termed "erratic"; holding speed you could argue.

Still I think Vettel got off very lightly for what he did to, and his reaction afterwards was typical.

Does F1 state where their first SC control line is for Baku? I know it has been noted for other tracks.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 07:29 (Ref:3747204)   #196
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
IndyCar doesn't have these problems.
Nor does ELMS, WEC, AsLMS, IMSA, etc. The list is actually pretty huge.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3747207)   #197
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Wonder what the stewards decision would have been if Vettel's second deliberate hit on Hamilton, had damaged something on the left front, which then meant Hamilton had to pit to fix the damage, or even retire from the race? What if Vettel went onto to finish 4th, while Hamilton fell further back, or DNF's because of Vettel's deliberate actions?

Also, the cynic in me was thinking the call to fix Hamilton's headrest and the stop-go for Vettel coming at almost at the same time had a bit of a "show/entertainment" element to it. To swap the headrest would take about 10 seconds, Vettel also then get's 10 seconds (should have been much more), and then they both end up on the track next to each other.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3747212)   #198
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Also, the cynic in me was thinking the call to fix Hamilton's headrest and the stop-go for Vettel coming at almost at the same time had a bit of a "show/entertainment" element to it. To swap the headrest would take about 10 seconds, Vettel also then get's 10 seconds (should have been much more), and then they both end up on the track next to each other.
I'd put the tin hat away.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 08:29 (Ref:3747213)   #199
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'd put the tin hat away.
You're probably right. Thanks for letting me borrow it for a minute though.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 09:04 (Ref:3747227)   #200
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many years ago when the safety car was first introduced into the regulations, I asked Michele Alboreto who was driving for Footwork at the time, if he thought it was a device to spice up the racing rather than a safety feature.

Michele gave wry smile and said; " I know my chickens."

I have never heard the expression before or since, but his opinion was plain, and it was not concerning safety issues.