Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 May 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3735096)   #26
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
From what I can see, both SLR and 356 had a DNF, 8 laps for the Morgan and 14 for the Porsche. Will be better next time.
I hope so, as this not finishing races is starting to drive us nuts!

We seem to be cooking the brakes, popping brake seals as fast as we replace them...not good!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 May 2017, 06:14 (Ref:3735193)   #27
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Back in the 50', Mercedes had a "liquid" cooling system for the drum brakes. In the mid '70, some works RSR had a similar one sending water on the front discs. I feel any of those will help you till you think about what you changed from last year. Or you got a chinese or pakistanese copy of the ATE brake seals ? Hard to spot because even the plastic bag looks alike.
Old 22 May 2017, 06:41 (Ref:3735196)   #28
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry to hear that the other 'tenths' entries in the 2hr 60s endurance also retired. Found one advantage of an early finish was that got to the Saturday night 'do' earlier!

Our CER race Sunday afternoon went better, the B19 finished 5th o/a and 3rd in class. This car was so fresh from restoration and preparation that it hadn't turned a wheel before our pre race Wednesday test session at Spa (except for rolling road engine set-up). The lads at Foxcraft should be well proud of their work.....

Now sitting waiting for 1000 ferry, sun out and warm, so not a bad monday so far. Let's hope the the UK motorway network is similarly pleasant.....
Old 22 May 2017, 07:16 (Ref:3735200)   #29
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sorry to hear that the other 'tenths' entries in the 2hr 60s endurance also retired. Found one advantage of an early finish was that got to the Saturday night 'do' earlier!

Our CER race Sunday afternoon went better, the B19 finished 5th o/a and 3rd in class. This car was so fresh from restoration and preparation that it hadn't turned a wheel before our pre race Wednesday test session at Spa (except for rolling road engine set-up). The lads at Foxcraft should be well proud of their work.....

Now sitting waiting for 1000 ferry, sun out and warm, so not a bad monday so far. Let's hope the the UK motorway network is similarly pleasant.....
You could almost have called in for breakfast, Mike!

Looks like a day of grass-cutting for me after the rain of the last few days.
Old 22 May 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3735212)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
When I worked for Bedford One of my 'tasks' via the MOD was brake wheel cylinders and specification/standards thereof. . . . The Indians were making copies slave cylinders and Lockheed style boxes and a supplier was selling them to the MoD cheaper than we were offering genuine ones . . . . . When a squaddie got badly injured due to brake failure the MoD weren't too pleased! 'Safety critical' and 'corner cutting' don't mix.

Nor sure how you'd water cool brakes in an air cooled car
Old 22 May 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3735233)   #31
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Same way as F1 used to. Separate water tank, dump the water, run underweight then you're allowed to top up all fluid before you hit parc ferme weighbridge. Don't know if that applies in Hysterics.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3735239)   #32
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No.
Old 22 May 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3735293)   #33
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Same way as F1 used to. Separate water tank, dump the water, run underweight then you're allowed to top up all fluid before you hit parc ferme weighbridge. Don't know if that applies in Hysterics.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Install additional CO2 "fire extinguisher" aimed at the brakes - dry ice should keep the brakes nice and cool!
Old 22 May 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3735307)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
cool enough to make hot iron crack!
Old 24 May 2017, 08:57 (Ref:3735626)   #35
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...a-Classic.html

we got it done, it took more time than expected. Hope you like it.
Old 24 May 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3735734)   #36
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I noticed on a youtube vid that The Mason/Hope Motul 635 got rather rudely harpooned by an errant scirocco in one of the HTC races. The VW came off mych worse but hope the Bimmer isn't too badly damaged?
Old 25 May 2017, 05:39 (Ref:3735812)   #37
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I noticed on a youtube vid that The Mason/Hope Motul 635 got rather rudely harpooned by an errant scirocco in one of the HTC races. The VW came off mych worse but hope the Bimmer isn't too badly damaged?
Sorry, James, was that in the first race during daylight? I saw the Scirocco on a flatbed at some point but didn't notice if it was damaged. Our 2hr race was between the two HTC races so I was a bit pre-occupied!

Sadly the HTC cars being in the Endurance boxes makes them almost invisible to spectators, especially when some teams keep the doors shut! It is a Spa specific thing, but completely opposite to the other grids that were on display in their open tents, and expected to be there for spectator benefit....
Old 25 May 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3735970)   #38
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sorry, James, was that in the first race during daylight? I saw the Scirocco on a flatbed at some point but didn't notice if it was damaged. Our 2hr race was between the two HTC races so I was a bit pre-occupied!

Sadly the HTC cars being in the Endurance boxes makes them almost invisible to spectators, especially when some teams keep the doors shut! It is a Spa specific thing, but completely opposite to the other grids that were on display in their open tents, and expected to be there for spectator benefit....
Mike, yes it was a daytime race. The 635 may only have passenger door damage.
Not great to hear about spectators not being able to view the cars in the garages!
Old 25 May 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3735993)   #39
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Mike, yes it was a daytime race. The 635 may only have passenger door damage.
Not great to hear about spectators not being able to view the cars in the garages!

Fairly sturdy cars, 635s......

The endurance boxes at Spa are tiny, and even if the doors are open it is very difficult to squeeze round a car in one. If it is being worked on, almost impossible! As I said, at some meetings the HTC cars are in tents, as we are, or in larger pit garages where they are more visible. Spa is probably the worst PA meeting to get a good look at them- except on track!
Old 25 May 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3735999)   #40
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Fairly sturdy cars, 635s......

The endurance boxes at Spa are tiny, and even if the doors are open it is very difficult to squeeze round a car in one. If it is being worked on, almost impossible! As I said, at some meetings the HTC cars are in tents, as we are, or in larger pit garages where they are more visible. Spa is probably the worst PA meeting to get a good look at them- except on track!

...not to mention needing mountaineering gear to get around the paddock.
Old 25 May 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3736006)   #41
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
...not to mention needing mountaineering gear to get around the paddock.
But it's worth the climb!