Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Aug 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3123793)   #1
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HIGHLANDS MOTORSPORT PARK

Finally some good news from UnZud, that has nothing to do with the sports politics (yet!) The carousel looks good, and some nice features planned. Proper length at 4.8km too

http://www.highlands.co.nz/
Old 23 Aug 2012, 22:41 (Ref:3123811)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly looks awesome and it's going to be great for the local area.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3123818)   #3
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would love to see the v8 supertourers race there.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3123822)   #4
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
a good article about it on speedcafe.co.nz
http://www.speedcafe.co.nz/2012/08/2...-south-island/
Old 24 Aug 2012, 00:27 (Ref:3123844)   #5
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I understand its not a race track as we know it. Seems its for testing and fun times for the owner. No actual racing.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3123856)   #6
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
I understand its not a race track as we know it. Seems its for testing and fun times for the owner. No actual racing.
that'd be a shame, it looks as though it'll be an awesome track.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3123860)   #7
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Yeah looks amazing! Let's hope plans change
Old 24 Aug 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3123874)   #8
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did read that it wasn't going to be FIA certified that seems nuts to me when you spend all the money building it. Would be a great weekend away in Queenstown for the boys do the adventure stuff and then head out to a race meeting for the Sunday races.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 01:42 (Ref:3123878)   #9
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
I did read that it wasn't going to be FIA certified that seems nuts to me when you spend all the money building it. Would be a great weekend away in Queenstown for the boys do the adventure stuff and then head out to a race meeting for the Sunday races.
Would they need to have huge, sealed runoff areas like you see on the modern F1 tracks to comply? If so, I can see it would add considerable cost. Seems a better option to me, to just get it up and running, build the infrastructure around it, then look at FIA grade later on, once events are bringing in money.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 02:08 (Ref:3123886)   #10
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have been told that the resource consent only allows for a very limited amount of race meetings each year (8) and that it will be used primarily for testing. This information was second hand, so I cannot vouch for its accuracy though
Old 24 Aug 2012, 05:06 (Ref:3123909)   #11
osrg
Racer

osrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridosrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust me on this.... It will be raced on. That's from Tony and Klark themselves.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3123955)   #12
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty interesting development.

I seem to remember Quinn having been associated with potential development(s) of a similar nature in SE QLD over the past few years - none of which materialised. His electing to build abroad seems pretty likely the result of legislative/regulatory circumstance (urban/development planning, zoning, use restrictions - lacking consistency).

Can't say I'd blame him, either - there's minimal incentive to build a circuit (or, invest in anything beyond RE/resources) here in the current legislative environment.

Kudos to Cromwell for securing the development. It's a pretty neat location. The circuit/surroundings seem similar to Brno.
Seems pretty likely the AGT field would get a run; the possibility of a New Zealand round's been considered.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3123972)   #13
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I hope that does happen!
But would they go to Cromwell? For those of you across the ditch it's in the middle of no where. If getting spectators through the gates is a factor, then it won't happen there.
If getting huge crowds is not important, then they could well go there.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3123975)   #14
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hope that does happen!
But would they go to Cromwell? For those of you across the ditch it's in the middle of no where. If getting spectators through the gates is a factor, then it won't happen there.
This doesn't seem to have bothered them, elsewhere.
Unsure as to whether the series' competitors would be overly keen. That's a matter for someone else to clarify.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3123976)   #15
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
Pretty interesting development.

I seem to remember Quinn having been associated with potential development(s) of a similar nature in SE QLD over the past few years - none of which materialised. His electing to build abroad seems pretty likely the result of legislative/regulatory circumstance (urban/development planning, zoning, use restrictions - lacking consistency).

Can't say I'd blame him, either - there's minimal incentive to build a circuit (or, invest in anything beyond RE/resources) here in the current legislative environment.

Kudos to Cromwell for securing the development. It's a pretty neat location. The circuit/surroundings seem similar to Brno.
Seems pretty likely the AGT field would get a run; the possibility of a New Zealand round's been considered.
"His electing to build abroad seems pretty likely the result of legislative/regulatory circumstance "

i don't believe he was even sniffing around this project when the consents and plans were drawn up. unless he was involved with the original group the spearheaded this project unless as an silent partner
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:36 (Ref:3123986)   #16
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
"His electing to build abroad seems pretty likely the result of legislative/regulatory circumstance "

i don't believe he was even sniffing around this project when the consents and plans were drawn up. unless he was involved with the original group the spearheaded this project unless as an silent partner
Fairly certain I'd seen something which suggested he'd been involved in some capacity with an SE-QLD project (which, evidently never materialised) - there's no information elsewhere to confirm this.
Possibly conjecture on my part.

He'd stated an interest in circuit/facility ownership, regardless; that's become reality, in New Zealand.
It's difficult to interpret an investment this significant as anything less than positive, regardless; just representative of circumstance - e.g. local conditions (for a project of this nature) being less favourable.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3123991)   #17
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
Fairly certain I'd seen something which suggested he'd been involved in some capacity with an SE-QLD project (which, evidently never materialised) - there's no information elsewhere to confirm this.
Possibly conjecture on my part.

He'd stated an interest in circuit/facility ownership, regardless; that's become reality, in New Zealand.
It's difficult to interpret an investment this significant as anything less than positive, regardless; just representative of circumstance - e.g. local conditions (for a project of this nature) being less favourable.
didn't have a crack at Hampton Downs, before buying this project off Messers Begg, Aitken, Dippie (Boult ?)
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3123994)   #18
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
didn't have a crack at Hampton Downs, before buying this project off Messers Begg, Aitken, Dippie (Boult ?)
Apparently. Although, your mentioning this is the first I've heard.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3123997)   #19
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Something slighty odd about this. I can't imagine why you woud build a brand new track and not have it make FIA Grade 2 at least? How much extra would it cost?
Interesting point about Cromwell, I guess if people make the trip to Levels they'd go there. But it does seem more like a rich man's plaything at the moment...
Old 24 Aug 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3123998)   #20
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
From what I can see he's aiming the track more at the manufacturers who test their upcoming cars nearby with some trackdays thrown in. Im sure theres more money to be made off the manufacturers then trackdays. He might be a businessman but he also loves his racing so I can see some racing being held there in the future.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3124031)   #21
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Something slighty odd about this. I can't imagine why you woud build a brand new track and not have it make FIA Grade 2 at least? How much extra would it cost?
Interesting point about Cromwell, I guess if people make the trip to Levels they'd go there. But it does seem more like a rich man's plaything at the moment...
Levels is miles closer to population, not sure where you think Cromwell is?
Old 24 Aug 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3124037)   #22
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Levels is miles closer to population, not sure where you think Cromwell is?
Not a million miles from Queenstown is it? Or Wanaka? Not as big as Invergiggle but still a few thousand around and about. Motorsport people travel anyway if the races are worth it...
Old 24 Aug 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3124100)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I hope that does happen!
It's not any worse than Manfield, Timaru or Teretonga, or even Taupo for that matter.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3124245)   #24
Point2
Rookie

Point2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody been for a pedal around Boomrocks private track?
It was exclusive to Mercedes a the time I went for a skid! I now see BMW have taken the rights
Located just out of Wellington.

Great facility
Old 24 Aug 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3124267)   #25
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I have to say that I am very very excited about Tony Quinn's new alpine racetrack, so much so that I have already made enquires about purchasing a trackside apartment at Highland's. Somewhere to leave the Viper and some other favourites, hang out in central Otago, and enjoy some of the best weather in the country, and no lawns to mow into the bargain, I can hardly wait!

In truth it was Grant Aitken, Allan Dippie and Ian Begg's initiative, but Quinn's money and enthusiasm that kick started their dream. Highlands may only be able to have a few big race meeting a year, but I predict that the alpine setting and the uniqueness of this circuit will be like a magnet to far bigger crowds than many people, think possible! Its got my vote in spades.