Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2017, 07:17 (Ref:3738062)   #76
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Who might he replace? I generally am a Grosjean fan, but he seems to hot and cold over the course a race weekend. At the same time Magnussen has been slower than Grosjean, but he doesn't seem to bring as much weekend drama.

Richard
Magnussen has generally had the upper hand by my reckoning?

It maybe that Grosjean needs the extra miles to deal with the brake issues he has which Kev seems to get on ok with.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 07:32 (Ref:3738957)   #77
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Robert Kubica is back in F1!

He's Testing a 2012 F1 Lotus at Valencia tomorrow. Could a comeback be on the cards? Such a shame Kubica didn't get to show he's true potential in a top team.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3738964)   #78
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who is organising this test?
Renault?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3738972)   #79
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Yes it's Renault F1. Kubica will drive the 2012 E20 along with Sergey Sirotkin.
Maybe... Renault are evaluating who is going to replace Palmer for 2018.

Kubica recently tested an LMP1 car for WEC team ByKolles Racing at the Bahrain International Circuit. He lapped faster than the team’s regular drivers.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3738981)   #80
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kubica is well worth a test in my opinion, the current F1 driver pickings are slim, and it would be a PR coup for Renault for sure.......if he can drive a GP3 car, which he already has, then F1 should be no problem.......Renault are making great progress......soon they will be nibbling at the top teams, or even be a top team, more than possible considering Renaults resources and budget
Old 6 Jun 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3738988)   #81
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Monaco out of the way, where he admits he couldn't steer properly lock to lock, perhaps with some more open flowing tracks now eating up most of the schedule, it's worth them having a look. Palmer has been shoddy. Especially to have him in a 'works' team...mad.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 12:56 (Ref:3739004)   #82
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
have you actually seen kubica and the way he carries his arm since his accident?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 13:39 (Ref:3739009)   #83
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
have you actually seen kubica and the way he carries his arm since his accident?
This is a PR thing only - Kubica is not a realistic option for a full time F1 drive (as good as that would be to see). He's certainly a 'lost talent' but he's not going to be back in F1. Also given that Sirotkin is driving too I assume this is geared towards a Russian sponsor or at least Russian advertising campaign. They can't be seriously considering Sirotkin as a driver.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3739031)   #84
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hope springs eternal, but lets see what kind of lap times he can throw down before the notion of his return is shot down!

but seriously what kind of 'test' is this and why is Renault running a 2012 Lotus for it?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3739037)   #85
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
hope springs eternal, but lets see what kind of lap times he can throw down before the notion of his return is shot down!

but seriously what kind of 'test' is this and why is Renault running a 2012 Lotus for it?
It was a private test for Kubica - and they were running that car because they can't run a newer one. (same reason some of the Pirelli testing has been done with old cars, same reason Lance Stroll tested older Williams cars - stops teams testing updates outside of official tests).

Apparently he did over 100 laps - which to be fair to him is far more than I thought he'd be able to manage. Not sure what the stint lengths were like though.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3739039)   #86
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
fair point about it having to be an older car but did it have to be that old? Stroll i want to say ran his tests in a 2014 Williams...but he had more money behind his tests.

would this have been the car he would have had had he be able to return to F1 in 2012 after his accident/rehab?

https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/s...175488/photo/1
Old 6 Jun 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3739061)   #87
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think, with the owners of F1 now, it's not impossible - it was 12 months ago. Let's see.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3739099)   #88
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It would be a huge publicity coup for the Regie and for Formula 1 if Kubica lined up in a Renault for 2018. Whether it's physically possible, I don't know.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 06:41 (Ref:3739162)   #89
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
No (was hoping to at Silverstone WEC in April) but i sense a heavy dose of realism in your comment....
Old 7 Jun 2017, 08:01 (Ref:3739179)   #90
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Either way, this has to be the feel good story of the year. Kubica, back at the venue he last drove an F1 car, with the team he last drove an F1 car for, but most of all, back driving an F1 car. Something that he really wanted to do. And judging by the look on his face in the photo below, something that meant a whole lot to him. Bravo Renault. Bravo Kubica.

Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:23 (Ref:3739192)   #91
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Robert Kubica: "For me, it has been an important day from an emotional point of view.

"It has been a long time away from the paddock and I have been through difficult periods, I kept working hard and a few years ago I felt it was impossible.

"I have mixed feelings, I am proud with what I achieved today, but also it shows what I have lost.

"I don't know what the future will bring, but I know one thing, after working for more than one year to prepare for this, I ran with good pace and consistent in difficult conditions.

"It is not easy after six years, but I knew I could do the job and I can be satisfied. I appreciate the opportunity. Renault gave me my first F1 test in 2005, so I appreciate another test this time around."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/k...i-lost-915113/
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3739220)   #92
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
A true inspiration like Zanardi. Just a shame he never got the career in F1 he deserved
Old 7 Jun 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3739322)   #93
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Good last couple of posts there guys. I completely agree.
Great job to all involved in making this happen.
I've seen a quick clip on Twitter. He defo wasn't hanging about!
Old 10 Jun 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3740058)   #94
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Renault let Kubica drive in Valencia because management was feeling sentimental?
.....Yeah right...

I'd like to see Kubica to get the renault seat for 2018. He could do no worse than Palmer.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 00:03 (Ref:3740081)   #95
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Let's be serious about this for a moment. Is Kubica physically capable of driving an F1 car? Open question, thoughts (ideally informed) please.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 02:15 (Ref:3740097)   #96
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Kubica himself said he'd be fine except for Monaco, because of the steering lock required there. He is the best to judge if he is physically capable or not.

Looks like he did pretty good here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmMhS8FteI4

No official times from the test, but rumour has it Kubica was consistently 0.04sec quicker that Sirotkin.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3740233)   #97
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Toto Wolff has said he wouldn't be surprised to see Nico Rosberg back, in a Ferrari, possibly as soon as 2018.

That would definitely confirm what most people in the F1 paddock suspected.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3740262)   #98
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
If he's able to compete, Renault would be mad not to snap up Kubica in place of Palmer (sorry, Jo).
Old 11 Jun 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3740307)   #99
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It depends how much Rosberg wants to come back, he could do or he might be enjoying retirement too much.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3740317)   #100
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mclaren seat will probably be open for 2018 so who takes it?. Alonso saying "if not capable of winning by september" - not sure if this was meant to motivate Honda, or flat out admission that he will leave Mclaren.

It really seams like F1 is losing drivers with above average talent faster than they can bring them into the sport....
Aging Raikkonen, Hulkenberg stuck in midfield cars, Alonso probably to run a season of indycar.

No offense but I want a grid full of Hamiltons, Vettels, Verstappens, Alonsos in peak form not the Ricciardo, Bottas, Kyvat, Palmers. These other guys are talented to give them credit, but not at the same level.

Last edited by Articus; 11 Jun 2017 at 18:59.