Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 25 Nov 2006, 07:05 (Ref:1774533)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
R.I.P Richard Burns 1971 - 2005

It was one year ago today world motorsport lost one of it's many legends.

Richard Burns, aged 34, passed away on November 25th 2005 after being in a coma for several days with brain cancer.

I am sure I speak for everyone in wishes my, and our, heartfelt condolences to his family and friends as we all remember a champion.

R.I.P Richard Burns 1971 - 2005.

Anyone wishing to make donations to support the Richard Burns Foundation for those whose lives affected by serious illness or injury can visit http://www.richardburnsfoundation.com/ and follow the links.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 25 Nov 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1774637)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, good call, Chatters.

RIP, Richard
Old 25 Nov 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1774801)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard has been in my thoughts a lot this week I must admit. I remember catching the news on teletext (where I always seem to find the bad news)....it was such a hammer blow because it was so unexpected, even though he always faced an uphill battle.

For a while he was the bast rally driver in the world and absolutely unstoppable at times around 1999-2000. And whilst I was annoyed he nicked the 2001 title off my rallying god McRae, it was truly well deserved indeed.

I believe today is also the fifth anniversary of that world title.

The Peugeot days were difficult, with no wins astonishingly and he was drubbed by Marcus. But yet, he still came close to the 2003 title before that blackout....after that, he would never do another rally.

I still can't believe he's gone....

R.I.P. Richard.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 25 Nov 2006 at 17:24.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1775110)   #4
racer-gal
Rookie

racer-gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a year?!?!?!?!

R.I.P Richard!
Old 26 Nov 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1775435)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
one year alread, gosh. He's on my rotating screensaver, so he's never away from my thoughts.
Old 3 Dec 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1781092)   #6
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one year already... Its a really bad thing to happen on my Birthday. Ill never forget you Richard.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1784365)   #7
racer-gal
Rookie

racer-gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just watched a video tribute to richard. there was a clip where they stopped the music and u saw him grabbing the hand of Reid and shouting "the best in the world"

what an amazing man
Old 8 Dec 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1785347)   #8
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow... how fast a year travels.
I'll never forget him, i always supported him.
Then when i heard about his illness i was worried...then no one really heard anything, then that was it.

He was an incredible man, both behind the wheel and out of the car, and it saddens me to think that i'll never get to meet him...

Rest In Peace mate.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1785814)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a terrible blow when he had that accident on the motorway on the way down to Wales with Martin. He was doing great that season and it would have been great to see him re capture the title and then the next year see him go back home to Subaru.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1786667)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some idea of the esteem and affection in which Richard was, and still is, held can be seen in our original tribute thread which went to many pages, here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=Richard+Burns
Old 11 Dec 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1788290)   #11
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Subaru have seen fit to honour Richard by releasing the Subaru RB320 Impreza Special Edition

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/car_news...mentid=1409769

Opportunistic Marketing or Thoughtful Tribute ?
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1789002)   #12
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was a great, and it should always be rememberd as a great loss to motorsport the day that he passed.

RIP Richard
Old 12 Dec 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1789012)   #13
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Subaru have seen fit to honour Richard by releasing the Subaru RB320 Impreza Special Edition

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/car_news...mentid=1409769

Opportunistic Marketing or Thoughtful Tribute ?
There was bound to be a 'final year' special edition of the Impreza before the new model comes out in 2007. Special editions have always celebrated Subaru's rallying triumphs. Who better to dedicate it to than Richard? Of course Subaru UK will be making a profit from the 320 RB320's they sell (but trust me, the dealers aren't making much...), but I think it is also a fitting tribute.

Subaru did raffle off No 1 at the Autosport awards, with the proceeds going to the Richard Burns foundation. That might seem something of a token gesture, but if you do the sums it represents a sizeable chunk of the profit they'll make.

The 320 lucky owners (including me! ) also receive a complimentary membership of the Richard Burns Foundation. I think quite a few of the genuine Subaru enthusiasts who buy these cars will take that as an invite to get involved in the foundation and help raise more money for the good causes it supports.
Old 25 Nov 2007, 01:49 (Ref:2074995)   #14
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two years today... R.I.P Richard.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:25 (Ref:2076044)   #15
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
blimey doesn't time fly. RIP Richard.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 22:11 (Ref:2076073)   #16
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very sad indeed. The only bad thing on my birthday.

RIP Richard
Old 25 Nov 2013, 22:05 (Ref:3336717)   #17
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
8 years on but never forgotton.
RIP Burnsie