Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Dec 2016, 21:43 (Ref:3696236)   #1751
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Pheraps mazda has a worse top speed because the engine developes less than 600hp, surely because of reliability issues (not surprised about that)
We're on day 2 of testing as well. It's way too early to draw any conclusions.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 22:10 (Ref:3696240)   #1752
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Maybe Mazda turned the engine down a bit because of the cooling factor, but the cooling issue was supposed to be the gearbox.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 22:27 (Ref:3696245)   #1753
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Cadillac cars reached 196 to 201 mph today, that's 321 km/h top speed.

The Riley with the Gibson engine 194 mph, and the Mazda was by far the slowest with just 186 mph
Old 15 Dec 2016, 00:10 (Ref:3696270)   #1754
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Maybe Mazda turned the engine down a bit because of the cooling factor, but the cooling issue was supposed to be the gearbox.
Yeah, people keep talking about the engine, but that engine was actually pretty solid last year - IIRC, there was only one failure of the actual engine, with everything else being caused by other components around it and the gearbox being the biggest single problem. Any or all of these issues could have been effectively addressed in the offseason.

It's not like the Mazda MZR engine line hasn't already been proven capable of producing this power reliably - the expected 2017 power output is on par with what the MZR was supposedly pushing out in the P1 Dysons.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 00:13 (Ref:3696272)   #1755
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mazda is either sand bagging or someone is getting fired.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 00:17 (Ref:3696274)   #1756
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
No reason for panic. It's not like their diesel car, they're down on top speed but I think they can get there.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 00:21 (Ref:3696275)   #1757
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have read that they were using the 2017 spec engine for the first time this week. All the previous tests were made with with the 2016 engine. So, maybe they have just one engine for this test and they tried to focus on the chassis setup, detuning the engine to keep it safe.

However, I don't know how this could be any usefull for IMSA BoP, because it's obvious that the car is 2 seconds slow.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 00:39 (Ref:3696279)   #1758
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
On the link, you can see top speeds for each car. The Gibson engined Riley is on the same speed as the Cadillac, but you can see how slow was the Mazda. Ricky Taylor got the higher final speed, but not the best lap time, so maybe they were using low downforce.

http://results.imsa.com/Results/16_2...ession%204.PDF
Old 15 Dec 2016, 01:27 (Ref:3696288)   #1759
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
I have read that they were using the 2017 spec engine for the first time this week. All the previous tests were made with with the 2016 engine. So, maybe they have just one engine for this test and they tried to focus on the chassis setup, detuning the engine to keep it safe.
This is one of their first major shakedown tests with the full package. They've had cooling issues and other things, top-speed and even overall lap time is not what they were aiming for in this run. Look for them to be much more competitive come the roar.

Quote:
However, I don't know how this could be any usefull for IMSA BoP, because it's obvious that the car is 2 seconds slow.
IMSA won't be bothered with full BoP evaluation this week. They know that few cars have a handle on anything.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 15 Dec 2016, 01:50 (Ref:3696292)   #1760
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
Or they're still learning a new car and just aren't pushing until they learn it's quirks - just like everyone else.

I honestly expect times at the Roar to be even quicker than this test across the board specifically due to this. (the real question will be by how much)
Old 15 Dec 2016, 02:41 (Ref:3696302)   #1761
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Mazda is a work of art, shame it doesn't have a 4-rotor in the back to make it sound as good as it looks
Old 15 Dec 2016, 03:17 (Ref:3696308)   #1762
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
The Mazda is a work of art, shame it doesn't have a 4-rotor in the back to make it sound as good as it looks
While I agree, I know some that don't appreciate the lovely noise of a 4 rotor.

I certainly feel like Mazda is the underdog, again, but I do hope they can pull at least one race win off this year. Say what we want about their prototype effort, they've been consistently in the series for a while and I'd like to see a trophy for them.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 07:14 (Ref:3696333)   #1763
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
I think par for the course.
Speedsource are doing what they do best.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 12:15 (Ref:3696384)   #1764
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
While I agree, I know some that don't appreciate the lovely noise of a 4 rotor.
Everyone does ... in the brief period before they lose their hearing permanently.

As a Mazda fan, I am a little concerned that the 2-liter AER/MZR simply won't be able to keep up with the much bigger competition ... on the other hand, Mazda was able to keep up with the old MZR in their old Lola chassis ... complete dinosaur bodies with weak engines, and they still could have podiumed and even won if other things hadn't gone wrong.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3696397)   #1765
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
how about this X-mas song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX7T2Q7xqQM

(I'm sure I've told the story about the car off track at T10 many times before...)
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:09 (Ref:3696398)   #1766
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Yeah, because the last rotary prototype outing worked out so well.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3696409)   #1767
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Yeah, because the last rotary prototype outing worked out so well.
Jim Downing's Kudzu 4 rotor sounded great without being annoying and ran very well - I believe that was the last 4 rotor racing. Agreed, the 787 was a bit too loud.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3696412)   #1768
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Everyone does ... in the brief period before they lose their hearing permanently.

As a Mazda fan, I am a little concerned that the 2-liter AER/MZR simply won't be able to keep up with the much bigger competition ... on the other hand, Mazda was able to keep up with the old MZR in their old Lola chassis ... complete dinosaur bodies with weak engines, and they still could have podiumed and even won if other things hadn't gone wrong.
I give them a shot. A small one with an AER, but it's a shot.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:52 (Ref:3696413)   #1769
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
I think par for the course.
Speedsource are doing what they do best.
I'd bet they have the engine turned down both because it is new and to lighten the load on the transmission until they can get the overheating issues straightened out.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 14:11 (Ref:3696415)   #1770
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Jim Downing's Kudzu 4 rotor sounded great without being annoying and ran very well - I believe that was the last 4 rotor racing. Agreed, the 787 was a bit too loud.
It looked cool too, but there were some others that were painfully loud and slow.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 14:27 (Ref:3696418)   #1771
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I agree, the four-rotor was one sweet sounding machine. It was very close to sounding like the V-12s.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 15:50 (Ref:3696437)   #1772
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
That's what I'm talkin' bout:

what's the dumbbell for? Reps in between services?

from here:
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13716...ett_1213__733a
Old 15 Dec 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3696445)   #1773
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The last 4-rotor, but there was a rather disastrous 3-rotor since then.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 16:45 (Ref:3696451)   #1774
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
That's what I'm talkin' bout:

what's the dumbbell for? Reps in between services?

from here:
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13716...ett_1213__733a
It is there to keep the car weight right while it is on the set up pads/scales when the nose/tail and panels are off, to be able to make adjustments to it.

L.P.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3696455)   #1775
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
It is there to keep the car weight right while it is on the set up pads/scales when the nose/tail and panels are off, to be able to make adjustments to it.

L.P.
Interesting. Figured it was something like that.

Can't believe with the number of times I've been in a prototype paddock that I've never noticed that.