Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Mar 2014, 01:40 (Ref:3374198)   #301
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Yep. And it will be double points for the last THREE races in 2015.
They might as well trippple the points.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 3 Mar 2014 at 02:03. Reason: Typo.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3378369)   #302
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Hmmm. Lots of negativity here. I'm actually back after not posting often for years because of the new technical rules, especially surrounding the power units. For the first time in I can't remember how long, F1 can actually say its at the pinnacle of technology once again. Manufacturers will actually learn something that might be passed on to passenger autos.

I am looking forward to seeing how the engineers deal with these new rules. Sure half the cars wont finish at the beginning, but its a radically new formula for a radically new time! This is going to be fascinating. Just think, an F1 car that actually has a more innovative engine design than a Toyota Prius!
Old 13 Mar 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3378385)   #303
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Hmmm. Lots of negativity here. I'm actually back after not posting often for years because of the new technical rules, especially surrounding the power units. For the first time in I can't remember how long, F1 can actually say its at the pinnacle of technology once again. Manufacturers will actually learn something that might be passed on to passenger autos.

I am looking forward to seeing how the engineers deal with these new rules. Sure half the cars wont finish at the beginning, but its a radically new formula for a radically new time! This is going to be fascinating. Just think, an F1 car that actually has a more innovative engine design than a Toyota Prius!
The WEC cars make F1s look like ox wagons - 3 types of KERS for a start!
Old 13 Mar 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3378389)   #304
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely that is merely the difference between an ox and a horse cart?
Old 14 Mar 2014, 00:58 (Ref:3378422)   #305
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Different animals for sure but yes F1 has also now joined the 21st century.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 01:38 (Ref:3378426)   #306
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good-bye to the screaming note of an F1 car. You will be missed.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 01:52 (Ref:3378432)   #307
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Good-bye to the screaming note of an F1 car. You will be missed.
Sound a bit like MGBs.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 09:59 (Ref:3378531)   #308
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mind the look and sound of the cars to be honest.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3378545)   #309
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Sound a bit like MGBs.
They sound a bit like....MotoGP bikes....on their warm-up lap. However, it was nice to be able to hear all of the other noises that an F1 car makes. Like tyre squeal and induction noise, etc.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 12:14 (Ref:3378559)   #310
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't get to watch today but did see a couple of videos online. Wow

I LOVE the sound of the engine. Reminds me of times gone by. I miss the sound of the old engine but I love the new. They've changed before and they'll change again.

The sucking sound they seem to make (turbos I guess) is a bit weird though. Maybe it's where the mics are placed on the cameras?
Old 14 Mar 2014, 14:11 (Ref:3378599)   #311
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
I didn't get to watch today but did see a couple of videos online. Wow

I LOVE the sound of the engine. Reminds me of times gone by. I miss the sound of the old engine but I love the new. They've changed before and they'll change again.

The sucking sound they seem to make (turbos I guess) is a bit weird though. Maybe it's where the mics are placed on the cameras?
I rather like the way the cars sound as well, but I have heard better audio on you tube from someone shooting a piece of video with a cell phone ..

Therefore I think it's up to the world feed to get that that problem sorted out considering that most F1 fans will never get to hear the cars in person..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 14 Mar 2014 at 16:59.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 14:30 (Ref:3378606)   #312
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In light of the number of complaints from some fans about the sound of the 2014 cars, the FIA have decided to change the 2014 technical regulations, and have approved a mofication to the 2014 cars for the rest of the season. All cars to comply ASAP.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3378613)   #313
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just read a two page article on the changes to F1 in the New Scientist magazine, and a very positive take on it they have too.

Interesting to see how this is perceived by those outside of F1, it suggests that the aim of making F1 more acceptable in today's world may be coming to fruition.

No link, it's a print magazine of course.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3378670)   #314
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It should be okay as long as the commentary isn't too loud; it doesn't need to be now.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3378764)   #315
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engines are currently most efficient up to 12,000rpm because after that they just burn more fuel for less gain (as I understand it). Over time, as the engineers develop more efficient ways of burning the fuel, will the revs potentially increase up to the 15krpm limit, or do the laws of physics mean this isn't possible?
Old 15 Mar 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3378903)   #316
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My son (10) told me this morning that he thinks the engines sound "futuristic".

Good. They are.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 11:21 (Ref:3378921)   #317
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They do. I love the whizzing, sucky noises entering corners and the tone of the engine on acceleration is beautiful. Like a refined 80's turbo IMO.

The last time I went to a GP was 2006 (two tests as well) and there was something about the engine sound that put me off a bit thereafter. I loved the V10, and old F1 cars sounded great as well, but the last generation of V8's made me a bit irate to be honest. An annoying shriek x22. I did wonder if it was just me and so resolved not to mention it to fellow fans, but it turns out one or two other people agreed. Including Nigel Roebuck happily!

There are rules to be annoyed about. Double points, engine limits. It would be good if a little more fuel was allowed IMO as well and grid penalties and drive throughs should be abolished. But the cars look great on track, as I said in the race thread they really remind me of CART with the turbo power and reduced aero grip.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 14:01 (Ref:3378979)   #318
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
My son (10) told me this morning that he thinks the engines sound "futuristic".

Good. They are.
Yes, they sound good.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 14:39 (Ref:3379013)   #319
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
The engines are currently most efficient up to 12,000rpm because after that they just burn more fuel for less gain (as I understand it). Over time, as the engineers develop more efficient ways of burning the fuel, will the revs potentially increase up to the 15krpm limit, or do the laws of physics mean this isn't possible?
Turbo engine cars don't necessarily need rpm to develop power. In fact, the lower the rpm the better, for the sake of reliability. Boost pressure is really what matters. Most F1 turbo engines of the 80's developed well over 1300 bhp in qualifying trim, but didn't rev to much over 12,000 rpm whilst doing so.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3379123)   #320
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the sound of the new engines, it's quite visceral and the whistling from the turbo reminds me of the CART era.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 21:00 (Ref:3379622)   #321
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its nice to see some objective opinions here unlike over on Autosport, which seem to consist of vacuum cleaner (I wish mine sounded like the new engines do!) comparisons or people wanting the V8s back. Great, lets keep an old technology for the next 10 years then, that's pushing the boundaries isn't it?

I personally like them too, they sound richer somehow and I love the whizz and bang noises they make off throttle. I just wish they were a bit louder, the onboards sound good but the trackside volume mix needs tweaking.

I also agree with Knowlesy, I loved the V10s but the V8s left me cold. They were loud and that was about it, the sound just seemed like a flat, high revving assault. I went to the Silverstone GP in 2005 and 2006 and the difference was huge. I also went to Le Mans in 2006 and preferred the Judd V10s the P1 Pescarolos were running by a huge margin. The best part was that the engines in the Pescarolos revved about as high as the current F1 units do, so revs don't mean everything unlike what some people like to believe.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3379638)   #322
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit I'm loving the new engine sounds. The turbo on top of the v6 sounds amazing - and I look forward to the first diesel turbo hybrid F1 car! I've noticed during qualification you were able to hear other things over the top of the engine... tyres being tortured especially when locked up.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3379642)   #323
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for following up my own post but here's a Youtube link of the Lola Aston in my avatar in action, I've seen these in the flesh and they didn't seem particularly loud, yet still sounded wonderful!
Old 15 Mar 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3379662)   #324
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like a number of people here, I like the new sound as well. The only issue I have is how loud it is for spectators. I love watching it on tv, but I fear it might take something away if it's really quiet in person.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3379693)   #325
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Like a number of people here, I like the new sound as well. The only issue I have is how loud it is for spectators. I love watching it on tv, but I fear it might take something away if it's really quiet in person.
I think this is spot on. Watching on TV is cool to hear all the other things going on.

When you are there though you want loud noise. I reckon they will boost the sound at some point.