Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Feb 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3713514)   #101
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Richard my definition, and its only my opinion the McLaren MP4-7A is the most well proportioned and best looking car that has ever excisted, sounded pretty good as well..
That entire era is the best looking era of F1 cars, full stop. Nothing will ever come close to it again.

My personal pick is the Jordan 191 though.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 20:37 (Ref:3713515)   #102
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Richard my definition, and its only my opinion the McLaren MP4-7A is the most well proportioned and best looking car that has ever excisted, sounded pretty good as well..
I can't fault that opinion at all. I became an F1 fan during that era. The look of that car is clean, simple, fast looking and sexy. I will admit the things I personally miss is the wider track and clean lines of those cars. I am sure others have different opinions that may be quite different and that is OK as well!

Richard
Old 20 Feb 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3713516)   #103
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That entire era is the best looking era of F1 cars, full stop. Nothing will ever come close to it again.

My personal pick is the Jordan 191 though.
Great choice it's a gorgous looking car for sure ! 😊😊
Old 20 Feb 2017, 20:44 (Ref:3713517)   #104
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I just want to say that after all these years I still love this place, I read posters opinions at some other websites and people are brutelly critical, you guys and girls on the other hand are so smart and polite 🙏😊😊
Old 20 Feb 2017, 23:12 (Ref:3713549)   #105
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I can't fault that opinion at all. I became an F1 fan during that era. The look of that car is clean, simple, fast looking and sexy. I will admit the things I personally miss is the wider track and clean lines of those cars. I am sure others have different opinions that may be quite different and that is OK as well!

Richard
Always loved the 1991 Ferrari

Old 20 Feb 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3713554)   #106
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sauber looks pretty. Hope it goes quick.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 04:22 (Ref:3713583)   #107
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

1991 was Peak F1 in terms of looks for the cars, imo.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 05:09 (Ref:3713589)   #108
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm optimistic about the look of the cars. The Sauber is an improvement on last years Sauber.

Negatives for me: I didn't realise the shark fin was coming back, and I'm slightly saddened by that. I hate barge boards, so disappointed about those, and obviously we all seem to want smaller and simpler front wings, so that's a given.

Positives: I like big F1 cars, the extra aero is going to make them look quick, and some of the engineers seem to have a theory that they should be able to follow closely, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. The smooth and flowing nature of the cars looks better than I was expecting. I thought raking everything might look tacky, but in my opinion it does work.

All in all I'm expecting an interesting season, and hoping for an exciting one.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3713610)   #109
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Negatives for me: I didn't realise the shark fin was coming back, and I'm slightly saddened by that. I hate barge boards, so disappointed about those, and obviously we all seem to want smaller and simpler front wings, so that's a given.
An interesting link was posted by MercedesF1 to an interview with an aerodynamics supplier, who explains the need for 'messy' front wings to allow cars to follow closely.

http://mag.ebmpapst.com/en/formula1/...ressful_11644/
Old 21 Feb 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3713624)   #110
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Alain Prost wasn't the reigning champion in 1991. Pretty, though.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3713647)   #111
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regarding the shark fins returning... they didn't really go away. Most cars last year had one, but they were MUCH smaller than what is on the new Sauber and the stillborn Manor. I wonder if the reversion to a larger size is tied to the lower rear wing (reduce turbulence?). Also, we have only seen three cars so far and it's hard to tell if all cars will have large shark fins. The Manor and Sauber do, the Williams seems roughly the same as last year (but is on the large size for 2016 cars), but smaller than on the other two 2017 cars.

With that being said, I don't like them at all, but as far as I can tell they are not regulated into existence (as they are in prototype racing), but rather serve an aero purpose.

Richard
Old 21 Feb 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3713654)   #112
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Red Bull livery will probably be unchanged judging by Max his new helmet

Old 21 Feb 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3713662)   #113
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think I'm one of the few people who generally does like the sharkfins on vehicles. I like the way the Sauber one cuts back in towards the engine cover. That's aesthetically pleasing to me. I like the 2011 R18 fin as well, although the livery helped with that - and I like the P4/5 hybrid fin.

Maybe back in 2010 the fin was considered ugly because the rest of the car wasn't that bad, so the fin stood out more. Ok the wings were out of proportion but generally the cars had less winglets and the noses were quite pleasant looking. But given the absolute monstrosities that the current cars are, the fin is like adding a fire cracker to a nuclear weapon - no difference what-so-ever.

I agree with basically everyone who said late 80s and early 90s cars were the prettiest. Even late 90s were nice. I suppose those days and lines won't return, but I don't see why we can't get rid of the winglets again and return the wing proportions to 2008. That'd vastly improve the look a lot.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3713690)   #114
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the new Renault

Old 21 Feb 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3713697)   #115
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The yellow is very striking. Be interesting to see how the black looks on TV, especially at a wet Monaco or Interlagos.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3713698)   #116
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppatsrev Xam View Post
the new Renault

It's rather dark. I've tried to brighten it up a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
7e79bec00382b41f929d300f46ea5f3c.jpg  
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3713701)   #117
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The yellow is very striking. Be interesting to see how the black looks on TV, especially at a wet Monaco or Interlagos.
indeed...i wonder to what extent the liveries this year have been influenced by the fact that races (depending on your provider and TV) will be broadcast in the 4k/UHD format.

what looks overly dark, or in the case of Sauber's not quite gold, on a computer screen will no doubt look brighter or more vibrant on a 4k tv..or in person for that matter.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3713703)   #118
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppatsrev Xam View Post
the Red Bull livery will probably be unchanged judging by Max his new helmet
they showed pictures of their freshly painted trucks the other week which suggests the same. still haven't worked out if it looks good or bad on the cars!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3713704)   #119
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Are they going with the matte paint again bella?
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3713706)   #120
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
their kit looks pretty similar to last years (maybe a bit more purple this year). surprised to see such a prominent Aston Martin logo on their team shirts this year.

https://www.redbullshop.com/en/c/rbr...teamline-2017/
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:28 (Ref:3713707)   #121
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the trucks are the same matte blue (maybe a bit lighter) as that picture of verstappen's new lid posted upthread, so i'd say so

the renault looks a bit weird from the side - is it the combination of the rake and the engine cover fin pointing upwards?

Click image for larger version

Name:	renaultf12016.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	49185
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3713708)   #122
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Thanks bella.. I am trying not to see the fin, it's a good looking car isn't it😊
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3713709)   #123
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i like the fin, for some reason i'm thinking batman

agreed, the wide tyres and wide rear wings are really making a difference, they look like proper racing cars from the photos
Old 21 Feb 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3713714)   #124
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i like the fin, for some reason i'm thinking batman

agreed, the wide tyres and wide rear wings are really making a difference, they look like proper racing cars from the photos
The exhaust and rear wing also looks very Batman like
Old 21 Feb 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3713716)   #125
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
More black on the Renault than last season, looks good