Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 12 Dec 2001, 11:07 (Ref:184946)   #1
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long does Manor FRenault deal

At last - a driver not in a rush to get to F1 and potentially risk his career. Long's decision to sign for Manor in Formula Renault and not fall victim to today's 'fashionable' route of Ford-F3 shows he has a wise head on his young shoulders. Good luck to the tike. And Alex Lloyd whose been snapped up by Motaworld.

Its all in todays Motorsport Nwes. John Village and Status from ireland are also coming into Renault with two car teams.

With the likes of Hamilton, Griffin and Robert Bell also on the grid this championship for 2002 is looking like the one to do for drivers. Congrats to Renault on a terrific EQUAL formulae which is starting to attract the right drivers (gosh was it only two years ago in when the old spaceframe formulae was struggling to get more than 12 cars on the grid)? What a turn-around.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 11:40 (Ref:184960)   #2
Speeedo
Rookie

Speeedo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F Renault has really been helped by Kimi's hype too. The profile has just skyrocketed, especially after Kimi's performance in F1. Is there a web-site for British F Renault.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 12:25 (Ref:184975)   #3
Jonny Apex
Veteran

yes, it's www.renaultsport.co.uk. it gives all the info on the clios as well. pretty good site
Old 12 Dec 2001, 13:05 (Ref:184988)   #4
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Long also had trouble raising funds for F3, its kinda pricey
Old 12 Dec 2001, 13:37 (Ref:184999)   #5
Jonny Apex
Veteran

yeah did you read Maurice hamilton's column in MN today - he reckons £275,000 for F3. Sorry Mo but stick another £100K on top of that. Apparently Long made the decision a while ago he wanted to do FR before F3 even if it meant watching those who'd finished behind him in Zetecs go straight to F3. Now that's what I call smart thinking and he's done himself no harm whatsoever. I wonder what Dalghren's gonna do cos there is now way he's got even half an F3 budget - I don't think he had even half a Ford budget!
Old 12 Dec 2001, 14:00 (Ref:185005)   #6
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manor are keen on the bigheads aren't they? Antinucci, Hamilton, Long...

I think it's more likely that Renault is the fallback option for those who had designs on F3 but failed to raise a budget for it - hence Long signing for Manor. Dahlgren will probably do Renault as well for the same reason, so it will be very interesting to see what happens between these two on the track.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 18:17 (Ref:185077)   #7
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think "Sgrok" is wrong, Pat Long is NOTa big-head, obviously he has the belief in his own ability that is neccessary in any sportsman.

Sgrok, have you ever spoken to Pat for any length of time, if you did you'd realise that he is a good kid and a pleasure to know.

Good luck to him, I'm looking forward to seeing him and Rob Bell fighting for the title next season, it should be a good championship.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 18:23 (Ref:185079)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
375k for F3? I'd heard 450 for drives at Carlin and Manor, and thats for the good drivers...... I'd heard Antinucci wasnt really focussed but whats wrong with Long and Hamilton? didnt think they were old enuff to have attitudes ;-)
Old 12 Dec 2001, 20:19 (Ref:185139)   #9
sgrok
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Takuma
I think "Sgrok" is wrong, Pat Long is NOTa big-head, obviously he has the belief in his own ability that is neccessary in any sportsman.
If you are refering to his 'ability' to do nothing spectacular all season, then spoil the sporting entertainment of the Festival with childish behaviour then...

Quote:
Sgrok, have you ever spoken to Pat for any length of time, if you did you'd realise that he is a good kid and a pleasure to know.
Anyone can turn on the charm. People who actually know Long are wondering why he's become so big for his boots.

Quote:

Good luck to him, I'm looking forward to seeing him and Rob Bell fighting for the title next season, it should be a good championship.
If the 2002 Renault championship is going to be a 'thrilling' battle between the scintillating talents of Long and Bell, I think they'd better scrap the whole thing now.

Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
I'd heard Antinucci wasnt really focussed but whats wrong with Long and Hamilton? didnt think they were old enuff to have attitudes ;-)
Old enough to drive a car, old enough to think you're the dogs... It's an ethic instilled in the drivers at Manor that makes them unpleasant, sore losers. You only had to witness Antinucci's tantrums at being shown up by Carl Breeze last year, and Hamilton's foot stamping when he got beat at Donington.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 20:57 (Ref:185162)   #10
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sgrok ,i dont mean to be rude......but you sound rather depressed !!!!....i think Long is a fine driver with a great attiude...also i think Formula Renualt is looking fantastic for next year with some good drivers commiting to it.

...do you just disagree with everything everyone writes ??
Old 13 Dec 2001, 07:21 (Ref:185337)   #11
Takuma
Racer

so sgrok Manor breeds "sore losers"!!!

Pizzonia, Hynes, Cohelo, Schrianaven. Some are race winners, some not, but I have spent a lot of time with all 4 of the above, not just a brief chat in pit lane or the paddock, all of them are a pleasure to spend time with.

Antinnucci was an arrogent person before he arrived at manor, and I was at Donington Park, the after race incident on the sunday was caused by Hamilton's father, not Lewis, who on the few times I have spoken to him has seemed a pleasent individual.

sgrok,It would seem from your posts that you are eithre a frustrated driver or involved witha driver who you feel isn't gettinga fair deal.

Perhaps we should all declare any interest/involvement with a team/series/driver before posting!!!!
Old 13 Dec 2001, 11:34 (Ref:185384)   #12
sgrok
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by SILVERS95
i think Formula Renualt is looking fantastic for next year with some good drivers commiting to it.

This was my point -- I think there are far more exciting names to watch in the forthcoming championship than Long and Bell.

Quote:
so sgrok Manor breeds "sore losers"!!!

I think Manor have become 'sore losers' since they lost their Renault crown to Motaworld. This attitude filters down to the drivers who expect to win becuase of their machinery. I just think it's interesting that Long should choose Manor, seems he must have liked the atmosphere with the team. And I still maintain he has some rather large issues with how he perceives himself, but then I wouldn't expect everyone to be able to see the wood for the trees.

Quote:
sgrok,It would seem from your posts that you are eithre a frustrated driver or involved witha driver who you feel isn't gettinga fair deal.

No **** sherlock. I think there are many drivers who don't get a fair deal or a fair mention in the press, which is why these boards are dominated by the names given preference in Autosport etc - because this is a fan site, and people on the edge of the sport will take what they're told by the rags as gospel. Maybe I'm just a frustrated fan who wants to support the little guy, and doesn't belive people like Long should get glory for doing frankly bugger all, apart from being an obnoxious little upstart.

Quote:
Perhaps we should all declare any interest/involvement with a team/series/driver before posting!!!!

Oh, but isn't the beauty of these boards that I could be anyone, and so could you. You may even be the real Sato. Maybe....

Last edited by sgrok; 13 Dec 2001 at 11:35.
Old 13 Dec 2001, 14:19 (Ref:185428)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
formula renault is going to be a great series next year. there's a lot of talent there who all want to be in the same place next year, and it's going to be a great championship to watch, even if there isn't much overtaking.

there are plenty of obnoxious little upstarts in racing, but there's plenty of thoroughly good blokes too, you just have to find them...

actually, i think takuma's onto something about declaring who we're with and supporting before posting...
Old 13 Dec 2001, 18:28 (Ref:185541)   #14
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree I'm afraid - if someone wishes to remain anonymous for various reasons then that's fine. Drivers or those involved in the business could possibly jeopardise their career by exposing themselves (pardon the expression).
It also makes it quite exciting I think - you never know who you are really talking to!
Old 13 Dec 2001, 18:57 (Ref:185572)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgrok

I think there are many drivers who don't get a fair deal or a fair mention in the press, which is why these boards are dominated by the names given preference in Autosport etc - because this is a fan site, and people on the edge of the sport will take what they're told by the rags as gospel.
I agree with this bit - the Racing press in this country is a fekin disgrace... MN used to be ok but now its owned by Autospurt for gods sake.... and we all know what a bunch of sheite that particular tome is. If you just read the papers you would never know... when I can work out how to do it Im gonna set up my own server and write every damn thing I want to about sharks like the British mid 80s F2 champion and t0ssers like the club editor of Autosplurge... (names changed to protect 10-10 tenths)

you can be sure of it!
Old 13 Dec 2001, 21:33 (Ref:185631)   #16
Takuma
Racer

I was NOT suggesting giving up anonimity, just that if a person had a actual involvement with a driver team of series that should be declared, not the detils of that involvement.
Old 14 Dec 2001, 23:36 (Ref:186038)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I got this e-mail about a month back:

Hey Paul,

Great to hear form you... Sorry you haven't heard back from me sooner, it's been a bit hectic these past few months.

It's nice to have supporters in the UK. I appreciate it a lot.

As far as next year is looking, I'm not sure yet. A few months ago it was looking very much like Championship British F3, and I had a budget in place. With the unfortunate circumstances of both Rahal being fired from Jag and September 11th, F3 looks less promising at this time.

I'm still here in the UK, speaking to teams and chasing money. Hopefully something will line up soon.

Once again, thanks for your support and don't be shy to stop by my tent and introduce yourself the next time I'm at Brands!

All the best,

Patrick

Doesn't sound too big headed for me. As he explained attracting sponsorhip must have become a lot more difficult after September 11th and I think he's one for the future, I'd love to see him go all the way and its good to see that he doesn't want to rush into something that would risk his career.

Go LONG!!!!!!
Old 17 Dec 2001, 12:24 (Ref:186863)   #18
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Long, Hamilton and now a little bird tells me Matthew Griffin all signed at Manor V Lloy, Bell and possibly Kane at Motaworld. Plus Jamie Green and Kovalainen (who knows) at Fortec. What a grid already for Formula Renault!

I think Griffin could be well worth a bet in 2002 - very much an unknown in 2001 but he showed some flashes of form as he learnt the tracks and formulae and qualified on the front row for the final round at Brands. Actually, they're proabably all worth a bet.

And you've got Village coming back with surely at least one quick signing and Rudholm at DFR's. The start of the season can't come soon enough. Roll on Brands GP in late March!

Dalghren - you'd better get a move on if you want to get a seat.
Old 17 Dec 2001, 17:05 (Ref:186940)   #19
flange-tastic
Rookie

flange-tastic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
long lost one of his main sponsors! he cant aford f3 and he cant do ford again (thats suicide) so renault was the only other choice!
Old 17 Dec 2001, 19:22 (Ref:187033)   #20
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by flange-tastic
long lost one of his main sponsors! he cant aford f3 and he cant do ford again (thats suicide) so renault was the only other choice!
Which sponsor was that he lost?
Old 17 Dec 2001, 19:44 (Ref:187041)   #21
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there at Brands in March for sure !!......Really looking good for Formula Renualt in 2002....i cant wait !
Old 17 Dec 2001, 19:58 (Ref:187045)   #22
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didnt know he had any sponsors
Old 17 Dec 2001, 22:49 (Ref:187090)   #23
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait for young Keith Dempsey next year. He's definitely got talent. This year he won at Snett on a shoestring budget (his father runs him)... I think they'll be running another driver this year, so that'll give them some money for testing, tyres and stuff...

Watch out for the unknown...
Old 18 Dec 2001, 00:15 (Ref:187128)   #24
dmg
Rookie

dmg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long dose Manor FRenault deal

I hear Village hase got 2 cars and am excited to here his driver line up it will be good for the championship to get another top line team in there to chalange the top three Manor Fortec and Motorworled and i cant see him comming to FRenault with out a driver who will chalange for race wins if not the championship to match what will be a superb car and team
Old 18 Dec 2001, 01:16 (Ref:187138)   #25
Zingo
Rookie

Zingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

FRenault is starting to look exciting-

Maybe this year's group of drivers and Renault F1's direct involvment will help boost the series back to the post-Kimi days. 2001 might have taken a bit of wind out of the series' sail, but it's shaping up to be an awesome year.

My $$$ is on Pat Long for this year's championship and it looks like Manor's is too! They signed him without even puting him in the car.
Rumor is the bloke was mega testing in Spain last week.