Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 6 Aug 2003, 06:24 (Ref:680983)   #1
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford - 5 or 6 speed

Just heard on the grape vine that ford are seriously looking at leapfrogging the 5 speed BTR gearbox made locally and going for the ZF 6 speed. This will all but kill the australian gearbox manufacturer. This is supported by there Auburn factory being up for sale. Good for Ford bad for Australia
Old 6 Aug 2003, 06:40 (Ref:680986)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And if you read it some more, (its in today's Fin Review), you will see that BTR is likely to get the gig to make the ZF boxes under licence in Australia......
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Aug 2003, 06:49 (Ref:680992)   #3
Hybrid
Racer

Your ahead of me. Didn't read it I was out there today talking to someone who has just taken a redundancy package. They are moving their plant to Albury as well.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:19 (Ref:681011)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The plant at Villawood, where they made the axles and assembled the rear ends looks like a ghost town too, and has been for sale for some time!
Old 6 Aug 2003, 08:34 (Ref:681059)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the 6 speed going to be a double overdrive like the Holden box? If so, what's the point, it's purely **** factor, it offers no significant benefit in real world performance.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 10:17 (Ref:681124)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Probably will be, have a direct drive 4th and then overdriven 5th and 6th, to be used on the autobahn I expect!
Old 6 Aug 2003, 15:22 (Ref:681362)   #7
V8 Superdave
Racer

V8 Superdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugger it...... Just buy a bloody second-hand Supra box and be done with it......

Why use a gearbox that most who drive them recognize is largely pointless in number of cogs (unless you really wanna cruise down the highway at bugger-all past idle, with no pick-up in 5th or 6th)?

Dare i say this will be parity for road cars?......(runs for cover at the "p" word.......
Old 6 Aug 2003, 15:31 (Ref:681368)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is the point of 6-speed in a road car? Surely that would have a limited market? Does it have the same top gear ratio with more gears in between or is 6th 'one higher'?
Old 7 Aug 2003, 05:34 (Ref:681754)   #9
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle
What is the point of 6-speed in a road car? Surely that would have a limited market? Does it have the same top gear ratio with more gears in between or is 6th 'one higher'?
4th is 1-1 with 5th & 6th both overdrives.At 110 on the M4 in 6th 1500rpm the rest of the time useless
Old 7 Aug 2003, 10:35 (Ref:681892)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that about sums it up. Useless.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 11:54 (Ref:681951)   #11
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car or the gearbox

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 7 Aug 2003, 13:20 (Ref:682007)   #12
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Monaro
4th is 1-1 with 5th & 6th both overdrives.At 110 on the M4 in 6th 1500rpm the rest of the time useless
I thought in a 5speed 4th was 1-1. while in a 4speed 3rd was 1-1 am I totally wrong?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 7 Aug 2003, 21:28 (Ref:682299)   #13
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle
As far as I know, 6-speed was standard on the original Smart.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 22:51 (Ref:682402)   #14
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mtpanorama
The car or the gearbox
Don't laugh you will be washing the Monaro today Mt.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 03:29 (Ref:682503)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cripes, I can't agree with this view. The double overdrive gives good ratios for both highway and freeway (dual carriageway, motorway) motoring... The low revs reduce fuel consumption, save engine wear... And give you an excuse to violently slam the shifter into fourth, and mash the throttle to the floor when you're passing.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 04:13 (Ref:682511)   #16
Hybrid
Racer

Lee
Tend to agree with you. The number of high performance cars world wide that already use this gearbox surely can't have it wrong.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 04:33 (Ref:682517)   #17
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69
I thought in a 5speed 4th was 1-1. while in a 4speed 3rd was 1-1 am I totally wrong?
There are no hard an fast rules but in general the above is true. 6speeds are a fairly recent addition to the average family car so I don't think a trend has developed.

The 6 speeder behind the Gen III is a double overdrive and 6th is all but useless in the average driving situation but is good for reducing overal average fuel consumption when a fuel guzzling engine has to pass the US 'Gas Guzzling' rules.
For instance, I believe the US bound Monaro (Pontiac GTO) can't run the 300KW engine as its fuel consumption would push it above the gas guzzler limit and then attracts a huge tax penatly.

So what does all that mean? most 6 speeders are likeley to become double overdrive to work around the US gas guzzler rules and be of little value unless your out on country roads or autobahns
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:43 (Ref:683209)   #18
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the usefulness of the double overdrive is entirely dependent on what the rearend gearing is like. A double overdrive box would allow you to run a 4.11 or numerically higher rear gear, but in 6th have it reduced to an effective 2.05 or so. Also not all boxes are a double overdrive, in the richmond gear 6 speed 5th is the 1-1 gear, 6th a .70-1 gearing. Robert