Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Feb 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3801218)   #26
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With these new rev limits there may well be a lot of hi lift, long overlap camshafts up for sale on e-bay very soon !

Although the idea seems very good, it can be a bit of a double edged sword ; will Carol's U2TC & other series , plus the 6hrs follow (or be forced to follow) suit ? If not, then those competing in non rev-limited races, with money, will just have one or 2 engines and diffs of above & below 8K spec. Those that can't do that & are stuck with 8K spec engines won't be competitive in a free revs race.

The only reason I stopped racing 5 years ago was money & this may further drive out other privateers who would still like to race internationally or in a mixture of race series.

Additionally, running engines up to rev limiters is not always so good for those engines & could further increase costs & reduce reliability. Again, those with the money will flat shift against the limiter & pay the rebuild costs & those with less will go easy & lose time.

At the end of the day, everyone is free to compete or not & it seems no matter what rules & regs are put in place, it's the big budget guys that come out on top, but they & the organisers, do still need the little guys to fill out the entry for things to remain healthy.

Any thoughts on that ??

Martin
Old 14 Feb 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3801243)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Martin, like you, cost has driven me away as a regular, everything else is driving me further away as I don't see the point in trying to compete from my end of the scale. We used to do International weekends . . . we probably won't be allowed on the Continent soon!

as far as Revs go . . . . I retuned my Cortina engine a few years back, more torque, less revs, limit at 7500, peak power at 6900. I finally cracked under 60s at Brands and into 3:13's at Spa, all in a standard production car, no tricks required. . . . all factory running gear, clearly 15s off U2TC race winning pace @ Spa, but I was happy!
Old 14 Feb 2018, 12:00 (Ref:3801269)   #28
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MartinH is right. I gave up U2TC a few years ago (Alfa GTA). I knew I was not going any slower (or quicker !) but I was sliding down the finishing order inexorably. I knew my car was not super-tuned and it was more standard than most. The influx of money does not just affect the performance levels of the cars, but things like entry fees : Carol knew that for the well-heeled, the difference between a £500 entry fee and a £1200 fee was nothing. But it was to me, trying to do a full season of U2TC. I cannot criticise her for that - if I was running a series I would have gone down that route, I am sure.
So if you can't afford it, you can't race. It was ever thus.
The thing is, when a financial crisis hits the West, some of these guys will evaporate, not to be seen again - for example 1991/2001/2008 and so on.

Do the less well-off return then ? Probably not because the cars stay as highly-tuned and the circuit fees get higher and so on, one-way ratchet. Like most freelancers, my day rates did not change between 2008 and 2018 but the costs rose : I was one of the lucky ones.

A lot of sports start simple with plenty of entrants and a huge crowd who say " ...they're just like me ..." or "...maybe I'll have a go ..." or "...I know him and him..." . Over the years, the simplicity goes, the entrants/driver get wealthier, the crowds get smaller. That's the story of our sport.
Nick
Old 14 Feb 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3801297)   #29
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Nick, Like you, and our Friend Justin . . . we seem to be earning less than we did 12 years ago . . . I remember us being close to top 10 when U2TC started . . .

If I was allowed, I'd sell my Cortina, its a mere museum piece at present.

A (half) sensible GT car is a far more universal proposition, and can be used on the road as well!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3801496)   #30
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Guys,

I've tried motor sport and I thought, too much money involved, too much development, not sustainable if you can't follow the development game and so on. I then switched to other sports, endurance running first and then triathlon. I figured out it's the same everywhere and as one said once, it's all about what you are ready to do perform and what you will be satisfied with. I just figured out I love competing and just like a good engine is part of a performance it's also about getting the whole package right. No win comes from a single parameter, it's all of them altogether that produces the result so in my case, coaching, training, food, recovery, shoes, bike, and so on all have a part to play into the game. And it will always be like this, anywhere. It's not because it look simple or cheap that it will be..!

Back to motor sport and here speaking. The good point from REV limits is that it will stop the nonsense of people selling REVS to their customers. REVS are costly but as Zef' figured out and he knows his thing, it's torque that gets you out of the corners, and it was already the case back in 1965 as Carroll would say.

What I think will come out is more camshaft work and another way to develop and sell. The good guys have already been on torque for years so that's not going to change the order but in a way, the nonsense of a twin-cam with extra 200 REVS and supposedly 2HP more will stop.

Other than REVS, what really sticks out of the establishment to me is the freeing of exhaust manifolds on Mustangs in Masters Pre-66 TCs. Freeing this parameter might bring Mustangs closer to the Falcons, strangely some were already ahead but now these being fully free and I mean only controlled by the words "may use fabricated tubular steel exhaust headers but are not required to do so". That can cause serious developments... Way more serious than the wildest homologated tubular manifold on a Falcon...

Control is a lifestyle, it must be anytime, anyday and with common sense, that's what regulations are for. Freeing one or another parameter may well produce the needed result but there are always further implications just like there are afterthoughts to any decision..!