Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Mar 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2418291)   #1
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HANS devices

stupid question lads (and ladies) but as I have never had an incident yet where the driver was wearing hans is there anything special you have to do when helping the driver out, from seeing them on tv the harness clips on in some way???

how do I release the driver if I have to in a hurry

cheers in advance
Old 18 Mar 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2418308)   #2
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No such thing as a stupid question!!!

HANS devices are held in place by the seat-belt, not by some special attachment. In the unlikely event that you need to extract a driver from a car, once the seatbelt is off, the driver, helment, and HANS are all free.
They are of course attached to the helmet, via clips, but not in any way that would affect you if you were in a hurry.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2418449)   #3
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Guinness says, the HANS should be attached the Driver and his Helmet, and when you free the seatbelt, then the HANS comes out with the driver.

However, I would stop there and not take the HANS device off, unless the driver is not breathing and you have to start some from of CPR. <- This is my belief, but I am hoping that some of the Rescue guys on here could confirm that.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 18:57 (Ref:2418512)   #4
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hans devices, not a problem, but how many times do you see a driver having difficulty removing a drinking tube or a radio connection when getting out of the car?
Old 18 Mar 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2418540)   #5
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks as ever folks :-)
Old 18 Mar 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2418621)   #6
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alan, as correctly pointed out, the HANS device shouldn't pose you any problems. Most are clipped onto the helmet but some are integrated (both situations are easily resolved by tuf-cuts).

You shouldn't get involved in removing them unless the driver needs their helmet removing, if you have been shown how to do this then removing the HANS is a natural progression. In reality, if the driver needs CPR then the HANS won't be in the way or even the biggest of your problems!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 01:28 (Ref:2418858)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was driving an FIV at the recent Rally of Canberra and the two paramedics with me hadn't encountered a HANS Device yet so I borrowed a unit and helmet from a driver at the start of SS2 where we were parked and ran them through how they work.

I must've done a Murray walker to the driver because this happened 3km into that very stage about 10 minutes later;

Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2419482)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Couple of minor problems you might like to be aware of.

If the driver is in a covered vehicle with a small opening through which they have to wriggle, such as a small sports car with a comprehensive roll cage, then I have seen a driver trying to make a hasty exit with a HANS fitted catch the HANS on the cage/door opening.

If you need to restore/manage a driver's airway and want to get the helmet off you are best off cutting the straps, not trying to unclip them. (And pipe down all you circuit types with a rescue unit within 90 seconds; think of those without that level of timely support. Anyway, why would you wait 90 seconds to try and start someone breathing again?)

Regards

Jim
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2419484)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And I should have said: don't let PVDA explain anything to you.

Jim
Old 27 Mar 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2425937)   #10
MG Racer
Rookie

England
Ipswich
MG Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sticker

Just a question - I have bought a HANS device for this year, nows it not mandatory in our championship so do you think its worthwhile putting one of the HANS / SCHROTH stickers near my door so you know I am wearing one?

Mark

p.s. Not that I want any of you to be pulling me out of the car - I am sure you will understand. Been pulled out once and thats enough but those involved did a great job.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2426017)   #11
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Racer View Post
Just a question - I have bought a HANS device for this year, nows it not mandatory in our championship so do you think its worthwhile putting one of the HANS / SCHROTH stickers near my door so you know I am wearing one?

Mark
Have never thought of that, sounds like a good idea though Mark, as I will be wearing a HANS device this year I might do the same, although I dont plan on testing it out .
If any of your see me in the paddock and want to have a look at the HANS feel free to stop by.

Steve
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2426142)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Racer View Post
Personally, can't see the point, it's not something we're looking for. It's pretty obvious as soon as we get there if you are wearing one. Not least because you'll probably be able to get out the wreckage on your own...
Old 27 Mar 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2426202)   #13
MG Racer
Rookie

England
Ipswich
MG Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Personally, can't see the point, it's not something we're looking for. It's pretty obvious as soon as we get there if you are wearing one. Not least because you'll probably be able to get out the wreckage on your own...
Yeah, fair point. Thought I would ask as it does seem that we dont tend to ask the people about things who should be asked sometimes - see towing eyes that another story which I will try not to get started about - Why 60mm? Oops I have got myself started.