Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 31 May 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2888903)   #1
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Warwicksire College Course

Hi

I was wondering if anybody on the forum has attended the Foundation Degree Motorsport Engineering course at Warwick College.

I have applied for the course and just waiting for my interview date.

I just would like to find out how hard the course is? How much maths and practical work there is?

To get onto the course I require 80 UCAS points but I received 240 UCAS points from my college course I was wondering would this course be a bit easy for me.

Below is a link to the course:
http://www.warwickshire.ac.uk/courses/search_results/course_details.aspx?Id=11371

Thanks
James
Old 31 May 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2888970)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesd View Post
Hi

I was wondering if anybody on the forum has attended the Foundation Degree Motorsport Engineering course at Warwick College.

I have applied for the course and just waiting for my interview date.

I just would like to find out how hard the course is? How much maths and practical work there is?

To get onto the course I require 80 UCAS points but I received 240 UCAS points from my college course I was wondering would this course be a bit easy for me.

Below is a link to the course:
http://www.warwickshire.ac.uk/courses/search_results/course_details.aspx?Id=11371

Thanks
James

Id suggest as with any engineering course there will be a fair amount of engineering mathematics and looking at the module list seems to back that up. im guessing from your previous post you struggle with the maths element of an engineering course.

remember a foundation degree allows for you to progress onto a final year to give you a full engineering bachelors qualification so it wont I hope be that 'easy', as university should be challenging.
Old 31 May 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2888995)   #3
Jamesd
Racer

Yes I struggled with the Motorsport course at Coventry. This is where you do the third year if you want to.

I am not really sure what to do.

But I see one advantage for me, as I come from college which has 10-20 people in a class. Then at University our math’s unit had a 100 or so people in a lecture theater as I struggled to keep up with the work and it was hard to ask questions. But at Warwick the classes are the same as what I experience at college which worked better for me as I got a distinction at college.

Thanks
Old 31 May 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2888999)   #4
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesd View Post
Yes I struggled with the Motorsport course at Coventry. This is where you do the third year if you want to.

I am not really sure what to do.

But I see one advantage for me, as I come from college which has 10-20 people in a class. Then at University our math’s unit had a 100 or so people in a lecture theater as I struggled to keep up with the work and it was hard to ask questions. But at Warwick the classes are the same as what I experience at college which worked better for me as I got a distinction at college.

Thanks
I cant really say but thoroughly understand what your saying, i think id have struggled in big seminars on things like that where its impossible to go "wow hang on a minute, can you explain that bit again for me"

I didnt realise that course sizes were so huge at cov, or is that due to a number of routes using the same modules?
Old 31 May 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2889017)   #5
Jamesd
Racer

At Coventry for out thermo fluid unit we had 100 + students which consisted on Motorsport + mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering and some other classes as well. The Thermo uni was covered by a lot of engineering classes.