Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 5 Nov 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2982092)   #1
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Classic Motor Show - NEC Birmingham - Nov 11th,12th & 13th 2011

Providing my 2nd degree burns have healed sufficiently - long story, I intend to go for the first time this year.

Last year the Metro Owner's Club invited me to display my 1990 Rover Metro GTi 16v spi on the stand but sadly I was not able to go. They were celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Austin Metro and 20th anniversary of the Rover Metro.

It looks like it's going to a great show and if I do manage to get up there I will go by coach again like I did when I went to Race Retro last February as it's so much easier and cheaper. Also the GTi and Mazda MX-6 don't do wet or salty roads ...

http://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Dsc06687RC - GTI valeted - Aug 7th 07.JPG  

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 5 Nov 2011 at 23:41.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 01:07 (Ref:2982110)   #2
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just checked coach price with National Express for next Saturday and it's dearer than by train now as cheap fares for over 60's have gone...

It was £42.50 return by coach and I would still have to get a bus to Heathrow to pick up the National Express coach and upon arrival at Birmingham City Centre Coach Station, I would have to get a bus to the NEC.

However the train fare from my local station to Birmingham International(for NEC) via Waterloo and Euston is only £26.00 return at the early morning and exact time that I need (also luckily the exact time that I need to leave Brum), so I have reserved my Virgin Train tickets for collection at my local station...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
and if I do manage to get up there I will go by coach again like I did when I went to Race Retro last February as it's so much easier and cheaper.

http://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/
Old 7 Nov 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2982657)   #3
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What day you going Paula?

I'm there Thursday to Sunday on the Owen Motoring club stand, my car meanwhile will be on the CSCC stand. Come and say Hi
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 7 Nov 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2982762)   #4
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might go down on Friday. Been the last two years on the Saturdays and it's been a bit too busy - the extra crowds pulled in via the Top Gear lot don't help.

I went to book an advanced saver ticket on line - saves £2 - wow! Then noticed that there is also a £1 booking fee so I save £1 . So might as well just turn up on the day.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2983090)   #5
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hiya

I am coming up on the Saturday and look forward to meeting you...

Have fun.

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post

I'm there Thursday to Sunday on the Owen Motoring club stand, my car meanwhile will be on the CSCC stand. Come and say Hi
Old 8 Nov 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2983210)   #6
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just received my Press Pass collection details and you can download a very useful detailed floorplan of all the halls from here:

http://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/v...ll-plans&id=34
Old 9 Nov 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2983544)   #7
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hiya again,

I have found the Owen Motoring Club stand 4C74 in Hall 4 but where is the Classic Sports Car Club stand situated as I can't find it here:

http://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/e...r-search&id=20

Quote:

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 9 Nov 2011 at 12:39.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2983549)   #8
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
I have found it 4C46 Hall 4, just 2 stands along - Duh!!!!

Quote:
Hiya again,

I have found the Owen Motoring Club stand 4C74 but where is the Classic Sports Car Club stand situated as I can't find it here:

http://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/e...r-search&id=20

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 9 Nov 2011 at 12:46.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2983637)   #9
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
DOWNTON ABBEY STAR TO APPEAR AT FOOTMAN JAMES CLASSIC MOTOR SHOW

One of the stars of ITV’s hugely popular costume drama Downton Abbey is to appear at the Footman James Classic Motor Show at Birmingham’s NEC this weekend (11-13 November). Forget about Hugh Bonneville or Dame Maggie Smith; this star is of the four-wheeled variety!

The 1911 Renault type CB12/16hp driven in the show by chauffeur Tom Branson, played by actor Allen Leech, will appear on the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain stand and is sure to be a crowd pleaser. The car has appeared in many of the drama’s storylines including when Lady Edith, the middle Grantham sister played by actress Laura Carmichael, attempts learning to drive. Ironically, this was at a time when the actress herself was a complete novice behind the wheel.

The beautiful 1911 Renault is totally original and in its day would have been a luxury and fit for royalty. With its open drive laudelette body, the chauffeur was exposed to the elements whilst passengers traveled in relative comfort inside.

Downton Abbey is created by award-winning writer Julian Fellowes who himself is a keen classic car fan known to have visited the Classic Motor Show in previous years.

The car can be seen on Stand 8C16 at Birmingham’s NEC this weekend. On Sunday 13 November members of the Veteran Car Club in period costume will join the Renault.

For more information on the Footman James Classic Motor Show or Classic Motorbike Show, visit http://www.necclassicmotorshow.com
Old 10 Nov 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2984152)   #10
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
I have found it 4C46 Hall 4, just 2 stands along - Duh!!!!
Yep, the two stands are separated by some 'barn find' stuff. Strange stand - looks a bit like my back garden. Hey ho each to their own
Old 11 Nov 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2984379)   #11
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Must be them living down by the sea

Quote:
Yep, the two stands are separated by some 'barn find' stuff. Strange stand - looks a bit like my back garden. Hey ho each to their own
Old 12 Nov 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2985083)   #12
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hiya Wayne,

It was lovely meeting you earlier and hope to see your great car in action next year.

Here's a foto that I took.

Enjoy the rest of the show.

Nitey nite

Paula

Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
DSC01843.JPG  
Old 12 Nov 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2985088)   #13
Moosehead
Veteran

Hi Paula, good to meet you too Always nice to have a face to put to a name.
Look forward to seeing you at the track next time.
Cheers
Wayne
Old 18 Nov 2011, 23:58 (Ref:2988551)   #14
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi Wayne,

Hope you have recovered OK from the show.

I received this from Andrea Seed of Poppyseed Media.

Lots of interesting info and facts ...

She's simply great.

Dear All,

Thanks for your continued support and attendance this weekend for the Footman James Classic Motor Show / Classic Motorbike Show. I'm so sorry I didn't get to see you all personally but as usual I was running between the two stages as well as the press office. Today I can't feel my toes and sound like I'm doing a great impression of Barry White!
For those who missed the press briefing, here's all the post show info on the show, the various car and bike awards with a few facts and figures thrown in as well as a quote from the Show Manager.

Estimated visitor number: over 47,000 is a conservative estimate (45,000 in 2010). We won't have a combined Top Gear Live visitor number for around two weeks.
Total area covered by the show: 70,000 square metres
Halls used: 3a (Sporting Bears Dream Rides only), 4 (Live Stage), 5 (Meguiars), 6, 7 (Restoration Theatre), 8 and 9 (Classic Motorbike Show)
Total number of clubs: 230 (190 in 2010)
Total number of cars: 1,400
Total number of bikes: 300
Total number of exhibitors: 576
Total number of trade stands 346
Total number of Dealers: 32
Total number of media accredited: 428 including European, American, Canadian, Australian and Thai press as well as those from good old Blighty.

Live stage, hosted by TV's Wheeler Dealers Mike Brewer and Edd China – restored a 1972 Mk5 Triumph Spitfire with parts and equipment provided by CES, Rimmer Bros and Strongman.

Sporting Bears' Dream Rides fundraising: £34,000-36,000

Andy Rouse, Show Manager, said: "2011 has surpassed all our expectations and once again the bar has been raised in terms of the cars, the bikes, and the overall presentation. From seeing the traders in action and business being done at the show, it proves the UK classic motoring movement continues to be bouyant in the current economic climate.

"For the fifth year running, TV's Wheeler Dealers Mike Brewer and Edd China worked tirelessly to entertain the crowds, with the live stage offering standing room only, all day, everyday. We were also delighted with the visitor's response to the appearance of Carl Fogarty and Frankie Chili in the Classic Motorbike Show, as it continues to develop and grow.

"We'd like to thank visitors, exhibitors, motoring clubs and all involved for their tremendous support and look forward to welcoming everyone back from 16th to 18th November 2012."

Meguiar's Club Showcase winner: Bill Donaldson of South Yorkshire with 1966 Austin Healey 3000 Mk3. (Picture available)

Bauer Media's Classic Car of the Year winner: Howard Rathbone from West Yorkshire with his 1969 Jaguar E Type Series II that he's owned for 35 years and rebuilt the entire car.

Classic American Car of the Year winner: Gavin Shaw from Farnborough with his 1968 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28.

Classic & Sports Car Club Awards Winners:
Car of the Show: Gifford Wright's 1935 Singer Le Mans in which Betty Haig won the 1936 Olympic Rally
Club of the Year: MX-5 Owners' Club
Club Personality of the Year: Steve Guest, Warwickshire and West Midlands regional organiser for the TVR Car Club
The Car that melts the judges' hearts: Ian Kellett's Standard Vanguard race transporter and Vanguard Racer
Most interesting selection of cars: Club Peugeot UK
Best Themed Club Stand: Panther Car Club
Best Small Club Stand: Austin Counties Car Club
Best Medium-sized Stand: pre-1940 Triumph Motor Club
Best Large Club Stand: Military Vehicle Trust, Warwickshire, West Midlands and North Staffs areas
Best Club Show/Event: AC Owners' Club National Weekend
Best Club Run/Rally: De Dion Bouton Club Charles Jarrott Commemoration
Club Magazine of the Year: The Courier, Triumph Sports Six Club
Most Improved Club Magazine: The Tailwagger, Allard Owners' Club
Best Club Website: JJB and 101 Register (http://www.jtypevan.com)

Classic Motorbike Show Pride of Ownership Awards:
Best Pre-1946: Graham Bayley and his 1920 Triumph Junior
Best 1946 – 1959: Glenn Hughes and his 1952 Sunbeam S8
Best 1960 – 1969: Rod Eady and his 1961 Triumph Bonneville
Best 1970+: Richard Brown and his 1977 Yamaha DT 175
Best British: Phil Ozanne and his 1959 Triumph T110
Best European: John Tickner and his 125 Ducati GP
Best Japanese: Ray Bourne and his 1972 Kawasaki H2A
Best in Show: Phil Osanne and his Triton Café Racer

If you have any questions or queries please let me know
Thanks again
Andrea
PS: Now working on Race Retro and the Stoneleigh MG and Triumph Shows.

Andrea Seed
Poppyseed Media Ltd

I have finished uploading all my fotos to my Photobucket album and I hope that you enjoy them all.

See: http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo19 ... 1QQtppZZ16
PaulaH

Had to post these up, my hero Sir Stirling Moss ...

I had a wonderful time and discovered the whereabouts of two more cars in my life.

My late Dad's 1951 Riley two and a half litre Riley RM which is in Scotland now and my 1981 Renault Alpine A310 V6 which still belongs to the Alpine Renault Club's archivist. I am going to see both cars next year....
Quote:
Hi Paula, good to meet you too Always nice to have a face to put to a name.
Look forward to seeing you at the track next time.
Cheers
Wayne