Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Jun 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2490967)   #126
Raceonly
Racer

Australia
Raceonly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes, but in the WRC, they go heaps higher, with no wheels on the deck. (Chris Atkinson in Italy a couple of years ago comes to mind). Nice footage though.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2491391)   #127
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Ah yes but the Crusty Demons go higher than the WRC guys (and they do it upside down).

That makes as much sense as comparing WRC cars to circuit race cars.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 06:27 (Ref:2491463)   #128
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Crashney

So did Crashney get pinged for punting W Davision off on Sunday?
Deserved to.

Also, I can't be the only one to notice, when Crashney pitted iin the Saturday race, the LHF allegedly sprint tyre had no yellow on the side wall not so much as a dunlop sticker on it.

Any explanations? I thought it might be from a rub, but not a mark on the guard so I'm at a loss.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2491465)   #129
Raceonly
Racer

Australia
Ok fair enough, point taken. I wondered if the dirt bike guys would get a mention. Mind you, the WRC guys have done it upside down as well- they just never intended to do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Ah yes but the Crusty Demons go higher than the WRC guys (and they do it upside down).

That makes as much sense as comparing WRC cars to circuit race cars.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2491482)   #130
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The 'facts' as you describe are that Mr Caruso won a race.

As a point of clarity, this data is available for all to see. The context must be understood for facts to be adequately interpreted. The context in this circumstance was having the 'right' tyres left.. and qualifying well.

Will it happen again? Is there a genuine pace that is sustainable and consistent for the rest of the year?

A reasonable question I would have thought
Based on your comments, are you presuming that for each race winner in the future (or more specifically, first-time winners), we question their ability? The facts you point out about the 'tyres' are correct...is it that you believe Caruso was just plain lucky to win Race 10?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 27 Jun 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2491493)   #131
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
Based on your comments, are you presuming that for each race winner in the future (or more specifically, first-time winners), we question their ability? The facts you point out about the 'tyres' are correct...is it that you believe Caruso was just plain lucky to win Race 10?
The short answer... to the first part... is yes.

Luck is interesting... the old adage, that the harder you work, the luckier you get, has significant merit.

If you take Mr Caruso's performance at the weekend, he practiced overall in P9, qualified in R1 in 17th place, ran 11th, with a fast lap ~1.6s off the hot pace. R2 comes around and the car qualifies 6th, with a time slower than the one that got him 17th in R1 Good tyre strategy and pitstops and consistency got the driver to the front, setting only the 4th fastest lap along the way, despite having clear track ahead.

Can he do it again? What can we read from this?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Jun 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2491499)   #132
Raceonly
Racer

Australia
Well, all I can read into it is that for years you reckon the bloke cannot drive, yet he continues to prove you wrong.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2491513)   #133
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceonly View Post
Well, all I can read into it is that for years you reckon the bloke cannot drive, yet he continues to prove you wrong.
And the issue with that is what precisely? Are we not allowed opinions now?
Old 27 Jun 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2491524)   #134
Raceonly
Racer

Australia
You have the right to whatever opionons you like. But you did ask the question.

As to the issue itself and what it is- quite simple. You have taken a view on a particular driver- and he would not be the first- and decided years ago he was not up for it. So far, he has proven you wrong. WIll he be the next Jamie Whincup? I don't know. But there were people like you out there saying Whincup was no good either afew years back. There were people saying the same thing about Jenson Button as well. But for heavens sake please stop cloaking your obvious bias against someone with these whimisical "is he" questions. In other words, why not just come out and say you reckon he could not drive out of sight on a dark night so everyone knows what you really feel - and why you have it in for him.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2491555)   #135
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceonly View Post
You have the right to whatever opionons you like. But you did ask the question.

As to the issue itself and what it is- quite simple. You have taken a view on a particular driver- and he would not be the first- and decided years ago he was not up for it. So far, he has proven you wrong. WIll he be the next Jamie Whincup? I don't know. But there were people like you out there saying Whincup was no good either afew years back. There were people saying the same thing about Jenson Button as well. But for heavens sake please stop cloaking your obvious bias against someone with these whimisical "is he" questions. In other words, why not just come out and say you reckon he could not drive out of sight on a dark night so everyone knows what you really feel - and why you have it in for him.
I have no biases... if you consider I do then you dont read what I write too carefully
Old 27 Jun 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2491578)   #136
TS-Fitty
Rookie

TS-Fitty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been watching Caruso's career for quite some time and think he is a very good driver. I think he has potential (given the right car) to go to the top. He showed maturity the other day from the restart because he had to put in 100% for those remaining laps without making an error. That was big pressure on such a young driver to take his first win. He can also be quite aggressive as a driver when needs be, which isn't a bad thing too. Go Caruso, Go Holdsworth, GO GRM !

By the way, I have been reading this forum for quite some time off and on but have only recently started posting.
What is it with people calling drivers by "Mr" ??? or worse still "Mr" followed by the initial only of their christian name i.e. Mr M.Caruso. ?
It sounds so wanky. This is a forum for discussion NOT a courtroom cross examination.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2491702)   #137
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-Fitty View Post
By the way, I have been reading this forum for quite some time off and on but have only recently started posting.
What is it with people calling drivers by "Mr" ??? or worse still "Mr" followed by the initial only of their christian name i.e. Mr M.Caruso. ?
It sounds so wanky. This is a forum for discussion NOT a courtroom cross examination.
Actually its a measure of respect... we dont know these people personally, so calling them by their christian name or surname implies an intimacy of personal contact that just isnt there.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2491763)   #138
Raceonly
Racer

Australia
I have no issue with him called Mr Tander or Mr Caruso, etc, and feel it does show more respect than just calling them by their surnames. That reminds me of my days at school too much!
Old 27 Jun 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2491767)   #139
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i used to call my teachers or old people by the name Mr

the drivers are certainly neither of them.

they get paid because we the fans, therefore they can live with the names we call them
Old 27 Jun 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2491772)   #140
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Like a number of people who work in the game, I think quite a bit of time for Michael (I'll use his first name as I have worked with him).

Whether or not he is future champion material? At this stage, I don't know - as that is as much about the whole team as the driver so therefore you need to be at the right team at the right time.

Does he deserve to be in the main game and is he competitive? Most definitely yes on both counts and a very good fit at GRM - two young, aggressive blokes with "edge" when they need it and a level of maturity when that too is needed.

Good on him - last Sunday's result was really well driven and well thought through by the team - it is a team sport after all. To stay calm with CL all over your mirrors would not be something that some others would manage - great job!
Old 27 Jun 2009, 23:30 (Ref:2491775)   #141
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
just for information Caruso is 14th in the championship. ahead of some big names like Richo, Todd Kelly, JC, Bright and Murphy.

and ahead of a number of drivers in there 2nd FT year like Patrazzi and Perkins (Perkins is 28th in the championship, that is ordinary)
Old 28 Jun 2009, 01:57 (Ref:2491799)   #142
TS-Fitty
Rookie

TS-Fitty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Actually its a measure of respect... we dont know these people personally, so calling them by their christian name or surname implies an intimacy of personal contact that just isnt there.
You're kidding, right ?
Intimacy, personal contact..........what crap. How politically correct is that nonsense. If someone who has never met you rings you up and calls you by your Christian name, are you offended ? Are you that pompous ?
I think there is a time and a place to call people Mr.
Children should address older people who are not close family/friends as Mr but this is a public Motorsport forum.
What's next, using the initial of their second name such as the cricket commentators do ? In your politically correct world, did you ever think some people might take offence to being called Mr ? I'm sure people like Dick Johnson or Peter Brock would rather be referred to by their Christian name or just Johnson or Brock when spoken of in forums rather than Mr Brock or Mr Johnson which can sound quite disparaging.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2491812)   #143
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 29 Jun 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2492948)   #144
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The short answer... to the first part... is yes.

Luck is interesting... the old adage, that the harder you work, the luckier you get, has significant merit.

If you take Mr Caruso's performance at the weekend, he practiced overall in P9, qualified in R1 in 17th place, ran 11th, with a fast lap ~1.6s off the hot pace. R2 comes around and the car qualifies 6th, with a time slower than the one that got him 17th in R1 Good tyre strategy and pitstops and consistency got the driver to the front, setting only the 4th fastest lap along the way, despite having clear track ahead.

Can he do it again? What can we read from this?
To begin, 1.6 seconds off the 'hot pace', was due to the soft tyres being used by the guy who set the fastest lap of the race in Race 9. Mr Caruso didn't use the soft tyre in Race 9.
Maybe my opinion is biased. But GTR, maybe before you question whether or not Caruso can win again, you should be questioning the other 15-20 drivers in the field who haven't won a race, or even looked like winning a race, at all.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 29 Jun 2009, 06:09 (Ref:2493009)   #145
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

also why is it called the triple crown?

Because up until this year it consisted of three sprint races. Guess Skycity had too much leftover material.

"The Double Crown" doesn't have the same ring.