Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jun 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2487337)   #26
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Why not have production cars for the top game indeed?

Why should the cars be the fastest in the country? It is the quality of the racing that matters, who cars what times they lap the circuit in? Why does it matter? Would you rather watch a warp speed procession, or a slower pace with actual actual dicing and proper racing? The Utes or the Biante Series aren't the quickest cars around, but there is no doubting the good racing they put on.
I love production type racing, you love it, hardcore motorsport fans love it, but they just don't draw a crowd. If the drivers are the stars of the show, then you should probably get a bigger crowd lob up for the 12 Hour than the 1000. The best forms of tin top racing in terms of overtaking would have to be Geminis and HQs, but they are slow, oh so slow. And nobody turns up to watch them.

I'm not sure if anyone bothered watching the race today, but the current "formula" provided a fairly entertaining race, with plenty of overtaking. Is it really so broken that it should be watered down?

As for Simon McNamara, doesn't that sound like a man looking for an out clause? Holden is in a bit of financial strife, and they have already cut funding. Isn't a part of the plan to cut costs to be able to survive life without manufacturer dollars? Yes, there will be job loses, but there would be near total job loses if the formula were to somehow turn into a production car class.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2487353)   #27
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post

The other top 10 brands predominately sell 4 cylinder DOHC cars, so why would they be interested in pushrod V8s. How many times have Toyota said 'not interested'.
Yet, Toyota have invested heavily in NASCAR which run push rod V8's.

Mercedes were only to happy to have their nameplate on a push rod V8 to win the Indy 500.

For a car maker to enter any motor sport the technical regulations, while an important consideration, is not the only factor behind such decisions.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 08:59 (Ref:2487358)   #28
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Gee certainly a change of attitude from they "we don't need another manufacturer" rhetoric of years gone by.

One thing caught my eye with this

"Moves to split the racing calendar into two phases in 2010, with a mid-year break from July to September to avoid clashes with AFL and NRL finals matches"

Just what the sport needs a period of three months where there is no V8's on tv. I would have though if Cochrane and co want to compete with League then they should tackle them head on on do more races during the middle of the year not have a silly break.
The mid year break has not come entirely from V8 Supercars, it has come direct from the Seven Network.
With HD production becoming the standard the network is having to go to extra expense to get enough equipment to go round.
Seven and indeed other networks no longer have a great stock of their own equipment.
Most of it comes from companies like Global and Broadcast Rentals, just try getting a full HD camera and long lens in September and see how far you get.
Also ratings for Seven dive when the AFL goes off so saving up 6-8 rounds of the V8s will give them extra live sport options till the official ratings break.
It also will take the V8s away from the worst of the Southern Winter, it's a pretty good move I think.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2487411)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There appears to be one stakeholder group not considered in this whole shebang. A group of people whose only influence is whether they choose to warm up their teevs every couple of Sundays to watch the coverage. Or mortgage the house and go see the racing trackside.

Who am I talking about?

The bloody fans!

I am not necessarily talking about those of us who post here, although they are likely more attuned as to what they would like to see. I am talking about the mum, dad and kids, the single blokes, the blokes weekends, the racer chasers, the ladies... anyone who plonks their hand in their pocket to buy tickets to events, or take the time to follow the broadcasts, the V8Xtras and the like.

It would be nice to be asked for the thoughts of the public...

Or is that too much to ask?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2487417)   #30
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
isnt this for the fans
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2487421)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Based on what research & feedback? Are we still in the 'Field of Dreams' space where VESA says "build it and they will come"??
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2487430)   #32
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fans and the public should be concidered but why change the habits of a life time.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2487434)   #33
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i would think there is feedback and research.

i would think the fans vote by going to races and watching it on tv also.

i would also think they need to cut costs and the more competive cars we have the better

But to be honest based on what i see on here, the fans have no idea what the want. the say one thing and sook and complain about when it happens
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2487438)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Isnt that what Howard Marsden said all those years ago, fans wax lyrical about V8's and go home in their 6's and 4's??
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2487442)   #35
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
while i don't remember that quote, it does ring true
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2487446)   #36
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
V8's are now a small part of the retail and used car market so how much relivance do they really have?
Old 21 Jun 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2487467)   #37
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
profi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why not have production cars for the top game indeed?

Why should the cars be the fastest in the country? It is the quality of the racing that matters, who cars what times they lap the circuit in? Why does it matter? Would you rather watch a warp speed procession, or a slower pace with actual actual dicing and proper racing? The Utes or the Biante Series aren't the quickest cars around, but there is no doubting the good racing they put on.
So when you come home from the track you simply go wow. Production cars is a big leap down from supercars. A supercar is nearly as quick as a sports sedan now, imagine if they put wider slicks on them (18x11 fronts, 18x13 rears) and a larger capacity engine that isnt under so much load. What extra costs is their in the above to upgrades????
Old 21 Jun 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2487469)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Since the series is going to a control wheel (something I can recall suggesting back in oh, 2002...) I wonder if VESA may make it a larger diameter.. to 18" or 19" like the best sportscars of Europe?
Old 21 Jun 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2487476)   #39
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
would they do that mid control tyre contract
Old 21 Jun 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2487477)   #40
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Wayne Gardner suggested it years ago when he was the Michelin Motorsport agent. He was wanting to go to 18's cause he could then get Michelin involved. Then at the time he was howled down due to the costs
Old 21 Jun 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2487488)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
would they do that mid control tyre contract
Its the only time that makes sense, if you set a control wheel why not take the opportunity to make the change. The F360GT that ran at Le Mans last weekend for Mr Sugden and co ran Dunlops in 19" sizes... why not V8Supercar?

The current tyre is a Dunlop SP Sport 280/680 R17, the Ferrari ran 285/660-18 on the front, and 275/710-18 on the rear....
Old 21 Jun 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2487515)   #42
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

The current tyre is a Dunlop SP Sport 280/680 R17, the Ferrari ran 285/660-18 on the front, and 275/710-18 on the rear....
Why are the ferrari's running a skinnier rear tyre in a rear engined car?

Why not stay stay Dunlop and run the 290/675R18?
Old 21 Jun 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2487535)   #43
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by profi View Post
So when you come home from the track you simply go wow. Production cars is a big leap down from supercars. A supercar is nearly as quick as a sports sedan now, imagine if they put wider slicks on them (18x11 fronts, 18x13 rears) and a larger capacity engine that isnt under so much load. What extra costs is their in the above to upgrades????
To me a good motor race is a good motor race based on what happens on the track, not whether they lap a track in 2m06s or 2m30s

Formula 3 cars are quicker than V8Supercars, does that mean V8s are a step down from F3 then?

What would it add to the racing just to go a few seconds a lap quicker?
Old 21 Jun 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2487546)   #44
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
T
Formula 3 cars are quicker than V8Supercars, does that mean V8s are a step down from F3 then?
Yep!
Old 21 Jun 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2487603)   #45
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Well they are international.

No matter how fast the cars are their is parity, so they will all be that fast. Id rather watch a fast car over something i could go down to the dealership buy, strip it out, set of ohlins, some brakes and a cage and go racing. That stuff is for privateers not multi million dollar race teams.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2487803)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Wayne Gardner suggested it years ago when he was the Michelin Motorsport agent. He was wanting to go to 18's cause he could then get Michelin involved. Then at the time he was howled down due to the costs
Can we also get them to mandate the use of tyre warmers... for safety purposes... and also so that the commentators and drivers stop talking about their tyres being too cold when they go out to do a run!!!
Old 21 Jun 2009, 23:13 (Ref:2487908)   #47
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Isnt it funny how they call it the 14 point plan, looking at I dont think there was much in the way of planning that went into it.

Avesco have long had an aversion for having other categories on there race meetings that are faster than V8 Supercars. They may get away with it once or twice but they won't be asked to be part of the show long term.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 03:57 (Ref:2488012)   #48
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Missing from the plan is the Fujitsu series.

The TV for Utes, Formula Ford (zzz) is terrific but the Fujitsu series has 10% of the relative profile of main game compared to Nationwide v Sprint Cup.

1. Allow any drivers and teams in, (there's Brighty doing a one-off in the #25 defencejobs.gov.au machine at QR, and Murph doing a one-off in the #51 Big Ben pies machine at Winton etc). Don't ban Owen, Canto etc from a racing occupation for being quick in the previous season... what's the point, they can't freely race in GTs either, virtually restraint of trade...

2. Fujitsu series to always have same day as main game TV in preference to any other support categories.

That ought to help. It should fix that (A) The current field is very thin, and the title sometimes won by the first so-so driver with the least DNFs... not a good lower cost proving ground and (B) Fujitsus should become a good value, worthwhile, lower cost option for sponsors (a role currently played by V8 utes) which will also improve point (A).
Old 22 Jun 2009, 04:01 (Ref:2488013)   #49
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
good thinking
Old 22 Jun 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2488287)   #50
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The support categories have been the saving grace of the 7 telecasts this year, perfectly demonstrated by the Biante series in Darwin.

Theres enough v8 Fords & Holdens on screen without putting the public through a tier 2 v8 series.