Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Dec 2010, 04:27 (Ref:2807610)   #26
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Curiously, I grew up in the days of the Garagistas and have seen F1 being taken over by manufacturers with their own vested interests as being mostly a bad thing. I relish the return of independent teams if only the rules could be arranged so that they are able to compete on an even footing, not least the provision of competitive engines at a sensible price.
Couldn't agree more. The advent of the thee litre engines, up from 1500cc meant that everyone had more power than they knew what to do with and the racing was good. Then wings came in and noone knew how to make them work properly and the racing was not as good, but still brilliant by todays standards. Then slicks came in and the racing started to deteriorate, as you either had major tyre firm backing or you were not competitive.

The answer is to go back to bigger engines and make sure they cannot put the power down. (This would stop spending wars, as everybody would have more power than they knew what to do with anyway.) Seven hundred bhp formula ford would work just fine.
Why not make the tyres last 3 races? That would mean they could not be as sticky as they are now and would save a bundle over a season, also prevent marbles building up off the racing line during the race and further facilitate overtaking.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 06:00 (Ref:2807625)   #27
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss teams like Life, ATS, Tyrrell, Ligier etc a lot.....
Old 23 Dec 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2807640)   #28
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Good man Greem. I was wondering which one of you would spot my cleverly placed pun first.
Pun away!

I have been reliably (I think) informed by a colleague that Silicone Valley is in fact a term for a few studios in lesser parts of Hollywood who turn out... well, "adult" films. Not as in "scary" or "thought provoking", either. Usually.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2807642)   #29
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Seven hundred bhp formula ford would work just fine.
I was thinking about that very thing yesterday - a 1600cc turbo inline 4 cylinder engine should fit quite nicely in an FF1600 chassis. That would be fun!
Old 23 Dec 2010, 08:40 (Ref:2807646)   #30
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As with all forms of racing, without the slow ones you wouldn't appreciate how quick the quick ones are.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 09:02 (Ref:2807651)   #31
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
I miss teams like Life, ATS, Tyrrell, Ligier etc a lot.....
I think that most people 'missed' the LIFE team, probably because it missed most of the available time it could go out on track. W12 engine was different though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Chris View Post
As with all forms of racing, without the slow ones you wouldn't appreciate how quick the quick ones are.
T'is true.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2807748)   #32
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I was thinking about that very thing yesterday - a 1600cc turbo inline 4 cylinder engine should fit quite nicely in an FF1600 chassis. That would be fun!
Tube chassis, no aero, wide tyres and open entry to GP qualifying - bring it on.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 20:54 (Ref:2807908)   #33
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 glamour went out the window when Beverley Turner opted not to continue her involvement with F1.

Now it is hard to get a real picture of all the fuzz and fluff surrounding the sport, it's all just boring cars.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2807909)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They were so mean to her.
Old 24 Dec 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2807990)   #35
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!

There you go. Bit of F1 glamour to cheer you up.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 02:55 (Ref:2808321)   #36
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Dont know why but that reminded me of an old article I have by Nigel Roebuck. It is regarding Gilles Villeneuve's idea of 'The perfect racing car'.

I tried to add the article in thumbnail form but the thumbnails would not enlarge, so I have posted the article in a form it can be read by those interested. Hopefully this does not cross any forum boundaries.

Edit: I had a re-read of the forum rules, and suspecting I might have been treading a fine line reproducing the article in image form and posting it as I had initially, I have deleted the article in image form. So if you want to read the article you will have to read it by clicking on the links......

PAGE 1
PAGE 2

Last edited by E.B; 25 Dec 2010 at 03:22.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 04:22 (Ref:2808327)   #37
wnut
Veteran

Thanks for the above post EB.
Gilles was something really special, and interesting to see he thought that downforce was ruining F1 racing.

I would agree with him that the less power and more downforce any car has the less enjoyable they are to drive or watch. They can't get up on their toes they are just all squashed down under the aero and slow to react until they suddenly breakaway and you go over the fence.

His idea of a perfect racing car seems exactly right. Thanks great post.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 05:01 (Ref:2808332)   #38
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Pun away!

I have been reliably (I think) informed by a colleague that Silicone Valley is in fact a term for a few studios in lesser parts of Hollywood who turn out... well, "adult" films. Not as in "scary" or "thought provoking", either. Usually.
Your colleague was dead wrong.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2808373)   #39
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is interesting to note that the people who have been charged with making the cars better to watch are Head and Byrne, one of whom designed the best ground effect car ever made, so good it was able to be quick for three damn years!

As for that picture of James, wasnt that his wife!! ANd whatever happened to Duckhams!!
Old 25 Dec 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2808375)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, last I saw of them they were sponsoring some really shabby BTCC Mondeos.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2808391)   #41
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Yeah, last I saw of them they were sponsoring some really shabby BTCC Mondeos.
But they were ace in the wet!
Old 25 Dec 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2808403)   #42
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember now, Hot drove one didnt he, maybe that dog of a V6 finally was able to do something in the wet!

I remember them sposnoring the Norton Superbike team too, was great livery
Old 25 Dec 2010, 20:18 (Ref:2808426)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Hoy and Radisich. 1997. Oh god the car was a dog.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2808427)   #44
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a dog in real life, but not that bad in TOCA 2.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2808429)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That was 1998. Where the Ford was better but Craig Baird took up the role of dog.

What a strange tangent we have headed onto!
Old 25 Dec 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2808437)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Blimey, Craig Baird, I do remember him, there were quite a few guys who did that series who disappeared! Jerry Mahoney! Lee Brookes?? Paula Cook, spent more money than Bush and disappeared!
Old 25 Dec 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2808447)   #47
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Craig came home t Oz but still runs Porsches round the world and grabs the occaisional seat in Enduros. Is also a very good "Expert commentator" on TV here.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2808468)   #48
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The answer is to go back to bigger engines and make sure they cannot put the power down
I think you are vastly underestimating the skill of todays professional drivers, it would be really easy for them to be able to control any sort of horse power they would have available, probably even if they had 1500bhp. These guys are not amateurs, or at the level of 1960 era drivers, their technical skills are far, far greater.
Old 26 Dec 2010, 09:56 (Ref:2808534)   #49
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
I think you are vastly underestimating the skill of todays professional drivers, it would be really easy for them to be able to control any sort of horse power they would have available, probably even if they had 1500bhp. These guys are not amateurs, or at the level of 1960 era drivers, their technical skills are far, far greater.
He probably means having more power than the tires can handle, so they have to squeeze the throttle instead of flooring it and letting the engine mapping software do the squeezing.

Besides, I seriously doubt todays drivers have more technical skill than a Jack Brabham, for example.
Old 26 Dec 2010, 11:28 (Ref:2808548)   #50
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Besides, I seriously doubt todays drivers have more technical skill than a Jack Brabham, for example.
That is a very valid point.... and there would not be a driver on the grid (including the bloke with all the statistics who drives for that German Team) that would come close, technically speaking, to a number of the technical greats like as mentioned, Sir Jack, Bruce McLaren, or in particular, Niki Lauda.

On the other hand there would likely be no one on the grid nowadays that lacked those technical skills to the extent of other drivers of yesteryear, Ronnie Peterson and Gilles Villeneuve being the ones that stand out in my mind. He seemed to manage to get speed out of some awful cars, purely by adapting their driving style to suit/counter the car's deficits. And look bloody good in the process.