Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Oct 2011, 03:07 (Ref:2975022)   #1
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
New Jersey in 2013

Has anyone heard of this yet? Thought it would have been reported on here by now. If it has just let me know.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111021/F1/111029957
Old 22 Oct 2011, 03:51 (Ref:2975032)   #2
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've mentioned it in the Austin thread and there was a brief talk about it. It's been talked about for months; preparation for construction began a few weeks ago and from then you knew it would only be a matter of time.

Here's the circuit:

From this article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...501204538.html

You can see a small discussion started at #154, but it's certainly more appropriate for us to continue here.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...129640&page=11
Old 22 Oct 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2975125)   #3
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95596
Old 22 Oct 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2975127)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Joe Saward talks about the project here..

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/...on-the-hudson/

I think it's a great idea the US could certainly support having two races..
Old 22 Oct 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2975131)   #5
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will it bump Austin back to a June date if it happens?

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/62196.html

I for one would LOVE it that close to NYC. I could probably hear it from my old flat.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2975136)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Will it bump Austin back to a June date if it happens?

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/62196.html

I for one would LOVE it that close to NYC. I could probably hear it from my old flat.
No Austin will be run in November to line up with Brazil..
Old 22 Oct 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2975143)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two races in the US, that's good !
Old 22 Oct 2011, 14:13 (Ref:2975144)   #8
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder what race is going to be dropped to make way for New Jerezy GP?

Hopefully somewhere like Korea or ?????
Old 22 Oct 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2975149)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
The races that are not well attended, are not financially viable, and are just dull will in time fall by the wayside..

A street race is a far cheaper option...I do not believe that we are going back to Bahrain by the way..
Old 22 Oct 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2975173)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Manhattan backdrop may seem almost gimmicky, but when I mentioned it in passing to my non-motorsport-obsessed girlfriend, she reacted with great interest and said that would be very appealing to watch. We fans may not care about the casual viewer's opinion, but it was an interesting piece of research in itself that someone not that interested would be so interested in watching purely based on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I do not believe that we are going back to Bahrain by the way..
There's no point going back.

Last edited by Born Racer; 22 Oct 2011 at 16:30.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2975186)   #11
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is good news. F1 does need to break into the US. Hopefully, with this and the Austin race, it can. I take it that it is another 'street style' circuit? Tight and twisty.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2975188)   #12
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The Manhattan backdrop may seem almost gimmicky...
Let's hope they have the brains to place most of the seating facing the Hudson.

I also hope there will be some type of ferry service from the Upper West Side of Manhattan to West New York, NJ because I can only imagine the traffic nightmare getting through the Lincoln Tunnel. A cab ride & a ferry from Midtown would be too good to be true. I'll be there with bells on!!

Singing..."I like New York in June, how about you...?"
Old 22 Oct 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2975202)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I am very excited by this news, the more I think about it the more I think it's a fantastic idea..
Old 22 Oct 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2975205)   #14
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be there in a heartbeat.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2975210)   #15
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope for the sake of F1 in the USA that the race is sustainable along with Austin and does not end up losing millions because Bernie is too greedy like he has been with other races in recent years.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2975216)   #16
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a look on the various map/sat photo websites. These roads look like they're in a pretty heavily residential area (especially the north hairpin & western link), and the very southern part of the track looks very narrow.

Being roughly 2.5hr away I'd like to see it, but I'd be really worried about NIMBY's putting the kibosh on it before it ever gets off the ground.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2975231)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope this comes to pass (having the two I mean). With the fading of popularity in Indycar since a long time ago, Formula 1 can position itself well in the States, and I think with a country of its size, there would be an exponential benefit in having two Grands Prix,rather than one, in order to do so.

I always got the impression the fans who did make it to more recent US Grands Prix were really big fans; a hardcore following, if you like.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 08:13 (Ref:2975885)   #18
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
F1 tries a street circuit in the USA: Version 6.

None of the previous efforts have been a long term fixture on the calender. Can't someone just pump some $$$$ into Laguna Seca so we can see F1 cars going around the one US circuit that most people really love?
Old 24 Oct 2011, 09:04 (Ref:2975907)   #19
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
F1 tries a street circuit in the USA: Version 6.

None of the previous efforts have been a long term fixture on the calender. Can't someone just pump some $$$$ into Laguna Seca so we can see F1 cars going around the one US circuit that most people really love?

I'd rather they didn't butcher Laguna Seca for the sake of a brief dalliance with F1.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2976039)   #20
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Formula in the hood.

I used to live in that NJ area few years ago, and I'm not sure if it's going to work out. There is no real highway to get there. No view of Manhattan unless you own the last house before the cliff. The road they selected is narrow. Full of houses. No places to stand and see the cars. It's in the hood. They could as well bring F1 to Mexico.

I think it's a very crazy project, and if they considered that why not consider to run in Manhattan and Brooklyn using the Brooklyn Bridge and FDR. That would be something.

Like someone suggested, the place for F1 is Laguna Seca.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2976079)   #21
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a drive around on google streetview shows a residential, architecturally boring, flat landscape with a few glimpses of manhattan. Monaco it aint.

eit, I particularly like the run through what is currently a parking lot.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2976303)   #22
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
? ? ? ? ?

From the WSJ article in the earlier post:

"Weehawken Mayor Richard Turner and West New York Mayor Felix Roque suggested in a joint statement that the race could prove to be a lucrative annual source of income for the area. They said no tax dollars would be involved in staging the race."

No tax dollars, indeed. Who will be paying for the Fire/Rescue, Police for traffic control and `cleanup' at the end of the day(s)?
Old 25 Oct 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2976484)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Someone I'm sure...
Old 25 Oct 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2976523)   #24
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/15440153.stm
Old 25 Oct 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2976715)   #25
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid