Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Oct 2013, 18:09 (Ref:3315313)   #1
TurnTwo
Rookie

TurnTwo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Murrayisms"

Hi everybody,

I thought some of you lovely lot on here might be able to help me out with some research!

I'm currently writing a couple of pieces for FormulaSpy.com on Murray Walker, owing to it being his 90th birthday tomorrow. One piece that I am doing is compiling a list of some of his on-air mistakes (or "Murrayisms") that he has made over the years.

Now it's been fairly straightforward finding the classic phrases that you can find on various websites, but I was wondering if anybody could give me an example of some of his lesser-known quotes? Just so that the list isn't just like the rest you can find anywhere on google!

Many thanks.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3315473)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
You may wish to write to James Allen, I am sure he could fill you in on several...
Old 10 Oct 2013, 07:30 (Ref:3315598)   #3
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Time to roll out an old favourite: http://tentenths.com/murray.mp3
Old 10 Oct 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3315810)   #4
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
"It’s lap 26 out of 58 which, unless I’m very much mistaken is half distance… and, yes, I am very much mistaken, twice 26 is not 58, indeed we are not quite at the halfway point, oh, well we are now…"

He was amazing. Before my time though, unfortunately...
Old 10 Oct 2013, 16:20 (Ref:3315840)   #5
carrera2
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
carrera2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard while watching qually for the 97 Monaco GP. Murray says "Fisichella is slowest by 8 secs (pause)..... actually he's just set fastest lap"
Old 10 Oct 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3315973)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fisichella is eighth, Mika Salo is an excellent ninth for Sauber and Jenson Button is inside the top ten in eleventh place
Old 11 Oct 2013, 09:24 (Ref:3316185)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnTwo View Post
Hi everybody,

I thought some of you lovely lot on here might be able to help me out with some research!

I'm currently writing a couple of pieces for FormulaSpy.com on Murray Walker, owing to it being his 90th birthday tomorrow. One piece that I am doing is compiling a list of some of his on-air mistakes (or "Murrayisms") that he has made over the years.

Now it's been fairly straightforward finding the classic phrases that you can find on various websites, but I was wondering if anybody could give me an example of some of his lesser-known quotes? Just so that the list isn't just like the rest you can find anywhere on google!

Many thanks.
There's loads of stuff on YouTube.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3316192)   #8
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's one you needed to see, but here goes anyway. Camera was looking into Ralf Schumachers garage, he was in the car, camera closed in on him;

Murray; And there poking out from under his fire proof balaclava are the cooling elements used to cool the drivers down ...

Martin Brundle; I think thats his hair Murray .....
Old 11 Oct 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3316445)   #9
TurnTwo
Rookie

Thank you very much for the replies guys, really appreciate it!
I've decided to go down the route of analysing his broadcasting style, as I think there was more to him than just the enthusiasm (although that was the best bit!).
Hopefully it will be published soon!
Old 12 Oct 2013, 00:08 (Ref:3316509)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know why, but I really like "Coulthard leads and has yet to stop.. Hakkinen leads and has yet to stop".

Also, and I know this one is more well known, but wonderful Murray logic: "Well that is amazing, but I fear absolutely.. predictable".
Old 12 Oct 2013, 01:12 (Ref:3316524)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
"the car leading this race is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical!"

Murray Walker - Close enough!

He added a great deal with his boundless enthusiasm, miss his commentary a lot!
Old 12 Oct 2013, 02:33 (Ref:3316540)   #12
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Time to roll out an old favourite: http://tentenths.com/murray.mp3
I am now giggling like a buffoon and my wife is looking puzzled. Again.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3316802)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
cracking one during the japanese gp 2000 on sky f1 now: 'they're as keen on ferrari here in japan as they are in other countries'.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3318059)   #14
TurnTwo
Rookie

Article got published yesterday. I didn't go down the Murrayisms route, but thought it still might be of some interest to people here:

http://formulaspy.com/features/1006-...him-so-special

Enjoy!
Old 15 Oct 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3318161)   #15
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gotta be honest, all these 90th birthday articles feel like obituaries sites didn't want to wait to publish...
Old 16 Oct 2013, 06:36 (Ref:3318296)   #16
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnTwo View Post
Article got published yesterday. I didn't go down the Murrayisms route, but thought it still might be of some interest to people here:

http://formulaspy.com/features/1006-...him-so-special

Enjoy!
Extra 'people' in that first sentence?
Old 22 Oct 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3321582)   #17
thisismytruth
Rookie

Scotland
Glasgow
thisismytruth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my absolute favourite:

"Eight minutes past the hour here in Belgium - and presumably eight minutes past the hour everywhere in the world"
Old 22 Oct 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3321595)   #18
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismytruth View Post
my absolute favourite:

"Eight minutes past the hour here in Belgium - and presumably eight minutes past the hour everywhere in the world"
It's actually WRONG to presume that. For example, India is UTC +5:30, and there are several other timezones that are actually 30 minutes "displaced"
Old 22 Oct 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3321648)   #19
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's actually WRONG to presume that. For example, India is UTC +5:30, and there are several other timezones that are actually 30 minutes "displaced"
Nepal is the only country in the world that is out by 3/4 hour.

It's a funny one this, because Murray's quotes are usually selected for being either wrong or startlingly obvious. In this case, it's not clear which reason it is selected for. If the latter, then the person who selected it is wrong, and then... oh, I'm getting all existential.

Incidentally, there is a sadly rarely-updated-these-days website that I'm not allowed to mention that not only features an animated (unsearchable) encyclopaedia of the best Murrayisms, but also a distressingly compendious, um, compendium of many of the totally stupid things that James Allen has said.

But you didn't hear it from me, right?
Old 22 Oct 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3321650)   #20
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Nepal is the only country in the world that is out by 3/4 hour.
Meh, Nepal can come back and complain once they've produced an F1 driver, or a GP!

Quote:
Incidentally, there is a sadly rarely-updated-these-days website that I'm not allowed to mention that not only features an animated (unsearchable) encyclopaedia of the best Murrayisms, but also a distressingly compendious, um, compendium of many of the totally stupid things that James Allen has said.
Feel free to mention it if it's on-topic.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3321675)   #21
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All of Newfoundland agrees.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3321693)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't think you can beat his response to Irvine's repassing of Senna in the Japanese GP - "I don't know if they have shillelaghs in Suzuka, but, if they do, they'll be playing them tonight."
Old 22 Oct 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3321739)   #23
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Feel free to mention it if it's on-topic.
The now-legendary Murrayismogram!
Old 23 Oct 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3322073)   #24
thisismytruth
Rookie

Scotland
Glasgow
thisismytruth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i really shouldnt read that forum while at work

i shouldnt be posting on here either i guess....