Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jan 2018, 13:45 (Ref:3790997)   #1
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Coincidences in F1

Reading about how both Ascari Sr and Jr's death's were very spookily similar, in that both died at 36, only four days apart, on the 26th of a month, on a left hander, four days after a lucky escape, and leaving behind a wife and two nippers. As well as that Ascari and the other driver to crash into the Monaco harbour, Paul Hawkins, like Ascari also died in a sportscar accident on the 26th of May.

So I decided to start another thread, as there's plenty more interesting coincidences out there in F1

I'll start with one, the only two father and son champions.

Graham Hill won his first (of two) titles in 1962, then 34 seasons on his son Damon won the title, coming just after being runner up twice to the driver who was reckoned to be the best of the time (Schumacher)

Keke Rosberg won his first (and only) title then 34 seasons on his son Nico won the title, coming just after being runner up twice to driver who was reckoned to be the best of the time (Hamilton)
Old 7 Jan 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3791188)   #2
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Villeneuve, Schumacher and Frentzen all posting exactly the same time in qualifying in Jerez '97.
Old 7 Jan 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3791189)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes and Hill was on course to beat them all, but got baulked by a Minardi at the last corner. Speaking of which, a coincidence that has been unnoticed by some is that neither Schumi or JV shared a podium all season...
Old 7 Jan 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3791241)   #4
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jim Clark died on April 7, 1968.
Michael Schumacher born on January 3, 1969.
Nine months of difference... And not long in place from one another.
Old 7 Jan 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3791253)   #5
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Jim Clark died on April 7, 1968.
Michael Schumacher born on January 3, 1969.
Nine months of difference... And not long in place from one another.
Only a few hundred kms!
Old 7 Jan 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3791256)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All we need to do now is find out who was born around February 1995 somewhere in Italy.
Old 8 Jan 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3791339)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

Stewart became Jaguar who then became Red Bull Racing. And what statistic connects those three teams? They all got their first podium at Monaco. Stewart in 97 with Barrichello, Jaguar in 01 with Irvine and RBR in 06 with DC
Old 8 Jan 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3791353)   #8
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
If I'm correct, I think the 2008 and 2009 drivers championships were won by a British driver, both in a car numbered 22, both powered by a Mercedes engine, and both championships were won at the Brazilian GP, by both drivers finishing in 5th position. It was the first drivers championship for both drivers.
Old 8 Jan 2018, 12:38 (Ref:3791364)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
If I'm correct, I think the 2008 and 2009 drivers championships were won by a British driver....
Not only British, but both English drivers.
Old 8 Jan 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3791416)   #10
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EuroBrun = Euroracing (Alfa Romeo) + Brun (Group C team)
Oscar Larrauri was the happy link between the two.
Old 8 Jan 2018, 19:19 (Ref:3791425)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
...Speaking of which, a coincidence that has been unnoticed by some is that neither Schumi or JV shared a podium all season...
i still find that one surprising every time i hear it.

2009 Singapore GP.

at the first race back in Singapore after crashgate, Grosjean crashes his Renault during practice in the same spot as Piquet Jr did the year before!
Old 8 Jan 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3791436)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I have 2 fairly tenuous offerings!

Gilles and Ayrton's deaths were in the 1st week of May albeit 12 years apart.

Ferrari got Bridgestone to protest Michelin at Monza in 2003 at a crucial point of what was an incredibly open and closely fought season.

Schumacher ends up champion....
Old 8 Jan 2018, 22:21 (Ref:3791448)   #13
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Since the 2008, the drivers championship has been decided at the final round of the championship, every other year.

So if patterns are to be followed, the championship will be decided at the final round of this year!
Old 9 Jan 2018, 14:38 (Ref:3791547)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i still find that one surprising every time i hear it.

2009 Singapore GP.

at the first race back in Singapore after crashgate, Grosjean crashes his Renault during practice in the same spot as Piquet Jr did the year before!
And after Schumacher deliberately parked his Ferrari at Rascasse in 06, the next season Kimi broke his Ferrari suspension on the barriers at the swimming pool, he ends up going straight on at Rascasse! And what's more he held up team mate Massa as he was reversing back on the track!
Old 9 Jan 2018, 19:46 (Ref:3791610)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And after Schumacher deliberately parked his Ferrari at Rascasse in 06, the next season Kimi broke his Ferrari suspension on the barriers at the swimming pool, he ends up going straight on at Rascasse! And what's more he held up team mate Massa as he was reversing back on the track!
yes...also a hilarious moment!
Old 10 Jan 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3791685)   #16
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
EuroBrun = Euroracing (Alfa Romeo) + Brun (Group C team)
Oscar Larrauri was the happy link between the two.
Was that not just because Walter Brun who owned the Gp C and F1 teams signed him from his GP C team as a driver he already had a good relationship ship with?
Old 10 Jan 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3791694)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

A couple for Jordan fans

5 drivers drove for them in 1991 and the final GP in Australia was the one and only GP that season that all competed in the same event. As well as the two who were driving for them, Zanardi and de Cesaris, you also had Schumi in the Benetton, Moreno in the Minardi and Gachot in the Lola

And I remember being told at the time the top 6 in the 1999 Australian GP had all driven for Jordan, including DLR in 6th who was a test driver for them
Old 11 Jan 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3791980)   #18
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'll start with one, the only two father and son champions.

Graham Hill won his first (of two) titles in 1962, then 34 seasons on his son Damon won the title, coming just after being runner up twice to the driver who was reckoned to be the best of the time (Schumacher)

Keke Rosberg won his first (and only) title then 34 seasons on his son Nico won the title, coming just after being runner up twice to driver who was reckoned to be the best of the time (Hamilton)
I fear you fall into a common statistical fallacy! Look at the stats for worlds champions http://www.statsf1.com/en/statistiqu...mpion/age.aspx Of 68 champions, Damon is the only one who was 36 years old, but six were 34 years old, 35 of them (over half) were in their 30s. That decade of life is usually - excluding some prodigies like Hamilton and Vettel -when the talent and experience come together and the driver excels. Nothing spooky.
John
Old 11 Jan 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3792106)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think S griffin was referring to the number of years between father and son's first world championships. 1996 - 1962 and 2016 - 1982.

Damon was around when his Dad won the first. Nico wasn't when his did.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3792248)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

Heinz-Harald Frentzen goes to Prost midway through 2001 and then they go bust in the off season, so he joins Arrows, who go bust mid season. He then went to Sauber and thankfully they survived!

Still at least it's not as bad as Andrea Montermini. Replaced the late Ratzenberger at Simtek in 1994, where he gets injured in his meeting and Simtek go bust in the middle of 1995, by which time Montermini had joined Pacific, who pulled at the end of the season. So he joins Forti for 1996 and they go bust mid season, then becomes test driver for Lola in 1997, who go bust after the first race! No wonder he wasn't hired in F1 again after that!
Old 14 Jan 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3792622)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
First time when Toyota decals were in an F1 car was when...
Eliseo Salazar was sponsored by them in his 1981 Ensign campaign.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 13:57 (Ref:3792677)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

Mention of British champions earlier, well prior to 2009 English drivers only won the title in even years (58, 62, 64, 68, 76, 86, 92, 96, 08) and Scottish drivers in odd ones (63, 65, 69, 71, 73). Only when Button won in 09 did that end!
Old 14 Jan 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3792712)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Well this is subtle but.... so evident!

The first ever Monaco GP winner, was the respectable British-French driver and hero William Grover, nicknamed "Williams".
And nowadays Williams F1 team is based in the town of Grove.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3792715)   #24
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Both Gilles and Jacques Villeneuve raced knowing they will be disqualified, and did it anyways.
Gilles done it in Long Beach 1982, and finished 3rd.
Jacques done it in Japan 1997, and finished 4th.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3792857)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

Tragic how both American champions Phil Hill and Mario Andretti won the title.

Both won the title at Monza after their team mate and only challenger for the title was killed in an accident (von Trips and Peterson respectively)