Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
Old 19 Feb 2004, 02:06 (Ref:878946)   #52
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by KC
In my opinion, JPM is a really good and really aggressive driver. The CART machines showcased his ability to power drift, late brake, and take extreme chances to go for the win. Problem is, the F1 cars cannot be driven in this manner. Power drifting an F1 car makes for bad lap times. Everyone is a master of late braking with the current technology in F1. F1 cars also rarely reward the driver taking the extreme chance. Once in a while you see a pass on the outside of parabolica (ala Jacques Villeneuve) or a knifing slash as a driver passes two cars in one corner (ala Mika Hakkinen), but these are rare and do not always succeed.

The second problem is that JPM does not think that he has to work very hard to be the best because of his natural talent. He has not had to worry about his fitness, his interaction with the team and his prowess over all as a racing driver in F1. Hard work does not come naturally to him, I think.
I think this is a very sensible post and I agree with it. JPM needs disiplined training and needs to lose weight too. He is becoming more and more like Mansell in his old days. Michael is incredibly super-fit and that works to his advantage and makes up for other deficiencies that he has.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 07:17 (Ref:879045)   #53
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In an age where cars are generally far below the minimum weight requirement and that drivers sit so low in cars, JPM's weight really doesn't bother too much (Low CoG in the center of the car...hmm )

Once he directs all his "fire" in the right way, and adapt his working style a bit more, and complement his "racing-skills" with a bit of "Head" then he'd really go far.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 13:03 (Ref:880397)   #54
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Checking the stats.... JPM is actually pretty "light"

Last edited by Gt_R; 20 Feb 2004 at 13:04.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 14:53 (Ref:880493)   #55
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think JPM looks heavier, making people assume that he is overweight because he's such a short@rse

I don't get it when people say he needs to get fitter. Sure, he may not spend every waking hour in the gym, but he doesn't seem to suffer for it.

DC is widely regarded as, as fit, if not fitter than Michael and it hasn't done him alot of good
Old 23 Feb 2004, 11:15 (Ref:882667)   #56
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This is an interesting thread by all accounts.

Firstly, i'm biased because i strongly believe that 'Monster' is the quickest driver since Senna or Gilles, if not the outright quickest ever. Why do i think this,? Just off the top of my head he is prob only driver, (other than Schu?)who can push car to limits at beginning of a race, on cold tyres because he has unbelievable feeling for the limits of a car. Therefore he makes up loadsa time and places on other drivers most of whom look like they're out for a Sunday drive! That's just one illustration.....

Secondly. what do we mean by the term 'Racing Driver'?
The person who drivers a car in a competitive situation and battles with others? If that's the case Juan Pablo is the only clear example of this.
What's more, most of the time when he decides to overtake someone, he will succeed cos he has innate self confidence in his ability and that of his car. The other's know this and therefore he has (hate to use cliche bull****) psycological edge on them, including SCHU!!

Thirdly, he won't change his general style. Who wants him too?! He provides entertainment on a level we ain't seen since Senna or Mansell days. Something is always likely to happen with juan in the race!

And finally, he loves racing and although he'd love to win the WDC he's happy to prove that he's simply the best racer and i don't think that anyone can say he hasn't already done that

Schu knows that on a given day (i suspect that there'll be 18 pf those this year!!) Montoya has him on the ropes.

Tags
jpm