Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 May 2000, 22:44 (Ref:501)   #1
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I've been wondering about this since the accident. I know that if anyone is used to a High speed crash then it would be an F1 driver, but it is still possible for shock to come out in the next few days.

Apart from that I feel it would be a bit off to walk away from an accident in which two men lost their lives, and then go racing the following Sunday. I know he will probably say that he is racing in their memory, but personally I think the best way he can show his respect is to withdraw.

DC if you race, then I for one will lose some of my respect for you.
Old 4 May 2000, 23:24 (Ref:502)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure that I agree with that, to be honest.

If it was a racing accident that he had been involved in, with two racing drivers lost, then that would be a different matter. There is no way he should take part.

If the plane had been en route to a motor sport commitment, then I would suggest he did not take up his entry.

But he was on his way home, and he seems to have been able to put the incident behind him. David is already in Barcelona, so I assume he has felt able to step aboard an aircraft and fly again already.

I think that as the media will be so focused on how he does his job on Sunday, that taking part in the race is the best way possible of honouring the memory of the two pilots. If David does well, they will be well remembered also.

I would not presume to speak for the pilots, but if I were responsible for a driver's safety, and my duty as a pilot cost my life, I'm not sure how much of a monument it would be to me if the driver I protected promptly withdrew from racing because of what happened to me.

But that's how I feel. As I say, I would not presume to speak for the unfortunate crew in this case.
Old 4 May 2000, 23:41 (Ref:503)   #3
allan quirk
Rookie

allan quirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course he should race. He's a racing driver and paid highly to do a job and do it well. They have to put past events behind them and get on with the job. They are involved in high speed crashes and must jump into the car and race again. The air crash wasn't Coulthard's fault. He was just a passenger. It could have been carrying a cargo of used postage stamps and the pilots would still have been killed.
Old 5 May 2000, 00:20 (Ref:504)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree - he should race if he's fit. Damon got back into the Williams sister car after Senna was killed, and carried on, and I doubt anybody thinks he is a lesser man for that. In fact I think that is one of the most courageous things a man could do - not knowing what caused his teammates death, and yet to race on!

On the other hand, if David should win this race, he should not cavort around and act like TGF does. In fact, it would be an excellent gesture if he asked that the whoop-up not take place in that case, in respect for the pilots.
Old 5 May 2000, 05:53 (Ref:505)   #5
Farc
Rookie

Farc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with that, Even the air force don't let the pilots drive in theirs cars or flight in planes military o commercial I think he will drive but will have a lot of FEAR.

I hope for Rubens Wake up to chase wdc.
Forza Jacques This time you will finish in 4 place
Old 5 May 2000, 06:23 (Ref:506)   #6
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should race & try all out for the win. He can then dedicate it to the memories of the pilots - just like Foggy did when that little girl drowned in his pool last year.
Old 5 May 2000, 08:56 (Ref:507)   #7
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought this was a rather bizarre statement:

". . . he should not cavort around and act like TGF does."

Just how would that be?
Old 5 May 2000, 12:14 (Ref:508)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nuvolari:
Thought this was a rather bizarre statement:

". . . he should not cavort around and act like TGF does."

Just how would that be?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er. Good question. Let's not be depressing here. If he wins he should be free to display any mood or attitude he wishes.

Oh. And I think he should race.

Old 5 May 2000, 14:47 (Ref:509)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also had my doubts about whether he should race or not. If a driver has a racing accident, then he should of course get back in the car again as quick as possible. But a plane crash is something completely different. I would think that being in such an accident would have just as much effect on DC as it would have on you and me, and - as RIKB says - it is still possible for shock to come out in the next few days. That being said, racing drivers are a breed of their own, and people react differently to this kind of things. It is quite possible that David feels that going on with "business as usual" is the best way for him to handle this situation. And I certainly don't lose my respect for him because he has decided to race, I admire him very much and think he shows great courage.
Old 5 May 2000, 23:40 (Ref:513)   #10
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC will and should race. HE can't dwell on the past bad things happen in life. I hate writing this post and disscussing these things in terms of causing disrespect but it must be done.

I mean I don't know if I should say this or not but I have to learn and If it is a mistake I will learn from it.

Hundreads of People die everyday ..............You can see where I am going I think I should stop.

DC should race on. It is his job. He could be overcome with GRief and miss a race because something happened to a friend due to sickness (Grief).

I will stop now, to worried about Disrespecting people.
Old 6 May 2000, 01:51 (Ref:510)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know, jump up and down, punch the air, that kind of thing. It's disrespectful in the circumstances, or anyway I think so. But of course DC must do as he likes.
Old 6 May 2000, 04:25 (Ref:511)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought only TGF did the jumping up and down and punching the air thing.
Old 6 May 2000, 06:45 (Ref:512)   #13
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clearly I am out of step with everyone else on this one.

I just feel that it is disrespectful to the families. They lose their loved ones, and He walks away from the plane and goes racing on Sunday. He has even been quoted as saying that the experience has made him stronger and that all that matters to him is the racing......

sorry guys but.....