Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 5 Dec 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1171406)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Half Life 2 thread

So, I'm sure that for many this was one of the most awaited games of the year. I must say that not having played the original I wasn't excited about it or anything. but now that I've played I must say WOW!

The thing I liked most about the game is that it's not just about shooting but you also have to do some problem solving along the way. Fortunately though the problems are not so difficult to figure out that you have to look for hints in the web. The addition of vehicles is very nice also and the atmosphere is very good as well.

On the graphics side I have to say that 3D face models are absolutely amazing. The expressions on the character's faces are as real as they can get. However, I think that perhaps a little more work could have been made to improve the textures (something that, for example, Doom 3 does perfectly).

With less than 25% of the game to go since I started this game has been tremendously satisfying and I would highly recommend it.

Has anyone else played it?
Old 5 Dec 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1171677)   #2
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've played through it completely and its the best game I have ever played. The physics, the sound, the gfx, the feeling.. everything is great!

They have really made a worthy number two!
Old 5 Dec 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1171714)   #3
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep,. awesome game ! ive been waiting a long time for it.
BTW, you have to try CounterStrike:Source the difference in graphics to the old CS is amazing.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1172278)   #4
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I admit i was sceptical with all the delays, but i am just blown away with the graphics and the details... with the pace of the game being quite quick at times i really want to just stand there and explore! I will definately be playing it again to look at the bits ive missed. Even just the menu graphics are stunning. I would definately recommend it.

I'm still on the section through the old sewers and rivers in the boat type thing!
Old 6 Dec 2004, 15:45 (Ref:1172485)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is a pretty awesome game. It prompted me to upgrade my machine!

I must admit I do spend more time on CS:Source though trying to improve my skills.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1172825)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is really good, I haven't played an FPS for a couple of years, and it was pretty amazing visually, and gameplay.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1172868)   #7
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
am i the only one who didnt like this game ??? i prefered doom3 i was alot more on my seat with that, like whats going to happen next, where will the next monster coming from, whoa whats that behind me etc etc, i throught half life 2 was o look shoot, i didnt feel as much atmosphere from the game ........ and i throught doom 3 had better graphics.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 23:33 (Ref:1172935)   #8
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that I think that, except for the face models, Doom 3 has better graphics. Particularly I think that there was a lot more work done with the textures in doom 3 than in HL2. While most of the textures in doom 3 were highly detailed some textures (and more importantly, somevery visible textures) are not as detailed. However HL2 graphics are great as well.

And indeed, if I had to vote for the game of the year I would still go with D3 but probably because I'm very biased and I still think that the Doom saga is still the best ever. The horror atmosphere that the doomm games have had is unlike any other game ever. But since we can't have a new doom every 2 months....games like HL2 and far Cry will have to do meanwhile
Old 7 Dec 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1173819)   #9
Sharky
Veteran

Yes. just fineshed it. fantastic game. I think I'll give it a try once again.....or perhaps I'll just play the first one so I can better understand the story.

there is a bug at the final level though. Some people (and it also happened to me) are unable to jump in the last level. Not that it can't be played like that but it's a great deal easier.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1174736)   #10
Sharky
Veteran

I've been reading reports that many Half Life players have been experiencing nausea. To be perfectly honest I did feel somewhat sick after playing Half life 2 (partucularly during the levels with vehicles) but I thought it was just me. And I did find it strange because I mostly play FPS and it's the first time in over 10 years that I've felt nausea after playing. Has anyone else experienced this?