Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Dec 2016, 15:24 (Ref:3699137)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
GOODWOOD REVIVAL

The annual #1 historic extravaganza- no doubt local accommodation fully booked already!
Old 26 Apr 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3729332)   #2
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival 2017

I heard last weekend that all tickets for Saturday are already sold out!
That is disappointing as I have not got one and have not missed a Revival yet.
But I had decided that last years event would probably be one if my last.
I could not believe how many p155ed up hoorays were about.
The survey after the event was more concerned about which advertisers I had seen not the quality of the motor racing.
But hey ho, maybe that is a sign of the times. It is not a Motorsport event any more.
Members meeting only now for me.

What does anyone else think?

Colin
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3729341)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Parkinson View Post
It is not a Motorsport event any more.

Colin
IMO you're fairly close to the mark with the above comment. I'm sure the corporate side of the event pays very well....

Luckily the excellent streaming means that we can watch the racing nowadays without having to be there!
Old 27 Apr 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3729490)   #4
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems that he first invites have gone out to car owners.

There are already cars beeing advertised for sale as having an invite for this years event.
Courageous, who knows if the eventual buyer will get accepted as driver.

RuE
Old 27 Apr 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3729555)   #5
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
IMO you're fairly close to the mark with the above comment. I'm sure the corporate side of the event pays very well....

Luckily the excellent streaming means that we can watch the racing nowadays without having to be there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Parkinson View Post
I heard last weekend that all tickets for Saturday are already sold out!
That is disappointing as I have not got one and have not missed a Revival yet.
But I had decided that last years event would probably be one if my last.
I could not believe how many p155ed up hoorays were about.
The survey after the event was more concerned about which advertisers I had seen not the quality of the motor racing.
But hey ho, maybe that is a sign of the times. It is not a Motorsport event any more.
Members meeting only now for me.

Colin

Ticket prices too high
Motor RACING content too low.
Old 23 May 2017, 15:06 (Ref:3735498)   #6
Broadclystboy
Rookie

Broadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBroadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed that the prices are high but have to disagree about the quality of the racing. The majority of the Hooray Henrys (inebriated or otherwise) and the fancy dress brigade thin out rapidly between Madgewick and Lavant.

Watching the racing at Noname and St Marys is always enjoyable and even more so when the intrepid pilots of the big block V8s are trying to keep their steeds pointed in the right direction.

But I do agree that the Members Meeting is hard to beat, if only Lord March could arrange a bit more warm sunshine in March...
Old 18 Jul 2017, 07:52 (Ref:3752333)   #7
pippa49
Rookie

pippa49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival Accomodation

I have a luxury self catering mini barn 7 mins from Goodwood Motor Circuit. it is currently free for 3-4 nights for the Revival 2017. Message me for further information if your intrested!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3752416)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
In Goodwood parlance, that's probably something like this, a snip at £250 a night

A majority of races are just corporate showcases now with very little historical element or accuracy, it remains an excellent show for the majority however, most of them are blissfully ignorant of peripheral detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Shed.jpg  
Old 8 Aug 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3758144)   #9
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know the date of the pre event test day? Cheers
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 8 Aug 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3758152)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Anyone know the date of the pre event test day? Cheers
They are listed on the circuit calendar-

https://www.goodwood.com/globalasset...ic-view-32.pdf
Old 8 Aug 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3758177)   #11
Moosehead
Veteran

Thanks for that Mike - now to choose which one to attend
Old 9 Aug 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3758413)   #12
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there is one on the 21st of August

and thats fully booked, i am in with my Deeeek.

the next one clashes with HSCC Oulton Park

RuE
Old 9 Aug 2017, 22:58 (Ref:3758492)   #13
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
there is one on the 21st of August

and thats fully booked, i am in with my Deeeek.

the next one clashes with HSCC Oulton Park

RuE
Thats the one that works best for me, will try to make it down for the day.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3759214)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Top tips from CCC 1999. 🙄😜
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0509.JPG   IMG_0510.JPG  
Old 16 Aug 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3759753)   #15
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Top tips from CCC 1999. 🙄😜
As its a fair trek for me I'm hoping I don't receive a similar 'welcome'.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3759758)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The Auction.....

The catalogue is now on line here- https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24122/

As I'm sure many will know, the auction includes many of the late Jack Sears cars, including the legendary Galaxy.

Please please please, whoever buys it, keep it as it is, which is as it raced in 1963......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 19 Aug 2017 at 14:03. Reason: Wrong link....
Old 16 Aug 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3759769)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, if you read Bonham's blurb through to the end, it is apparent that some mods have been done to the car since '63, such as, for example, larger brakes and wheels.

However, I do get what you are saying but i9f anyone wants to race the old girl, and win, they'll do the same as has been done to the Cortinas, etc.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3759791)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Mike, if you read Bonham's blurb through to the end, it is apparent that some mods have been done to the car since '63, such as, for example, larger brakes and wheels.

However, I do get what you are saying but if anyone wants to race the old girl, and win, they'll do the same as has been done to the Cortinas, etc.
Not sure I believe the blurb. Ford homologated front discs for the car which were fitted during the '63 season. According to Jack's biography (2008) the car still retained those brakes. Wheels? No idea but look very similar to the period photos.....

Anyway, I think it would be sacrilege if the car was to be turned into a modern racer. If I had the money I'd buy it and keep it as is! I know that's what the great man would want. And Galaxies don't appear competitive against Falcons and Mustangs nowadays, unless a Goody special.....

And apologies for spelling Galaxie with a 'y' earlier. Wasn't concentrating!
Old 16 Aug 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3759792)   #19
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
.....According to Jack's biography......
'Gentleman Jack' by any chance? Good read.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3761189)   #20
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any sign of an entry list for this years revival meeting?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 19:38 (Ref:3762749)   #21
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
'Gentleman Jack' by any chance? Good read.
There are actually a couple of errors in the account of the first Lotus Cortina race at Oulton, which surprised me, given Graham Gauld's knowledge.

I know Graham & I hadn't the heart to tell him - I'm sure it would be quite easy to find mistakes I have made!!
Old 30 Aug 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3762862)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
It's always irked me slightly that the Galaxy gets all the credit for the '63 BSCC championship when it was the Cortina that won Jack the title, at least it scored the majority of the points. As we well know fact won't get in the way of a good story, especially with such a theatrical backdrop.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3762875)   #23
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
It's always irked me slightly that the Galaxy gets all the credit for the '63 BSCC championship when it was the Cortina that won Jack the title, at least it scored the majority of the points. As we well know fact won't get in the way of a good story, especially with such a theatrical backdrop.
Yes, I think you're right. The championship was decided upon the best 8 results. Jack achieved the championship with three outright wins in the Galaxie, plus five class wins in a combination of Cortina GT & Lotus. He also took the point for fastest lap on all but one occasion, so ending up one point short of the maximum possible. He beat his old friend & rival Sir John Whitmore (Mini) by just two points.

I suppose it's the usual story in a class-based series that the overall winner is what most people notice & of course the Galaxie was not only winning in Jack's hands. There were also drivers of the calibre of Jim Clark, Graham Hill & Dan Gurney doing their bit.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3762881)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
4 CW in a GT, 1 in a Lotus, and 3 wins in Galaxy. Interestingly neither Jack nor Ford contested the opening round, in his own back yard (Snetterton) which was the Sunbeam Rapiers last hurrah.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3762898)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
To get back on topic . . . . there was an attempt to run the St MArys trophy as a '63 race in 2011, but it didn't quite happen, I still think it would make a good St Marys race to replicate certain years, correctly.