Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Dec 2013, 00:31 (Ref:3342954)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheese 'V8Supercar' to become 'Supercar'??

Story Here

Wonder what yhat does to the IP value?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Dec 2013, 00:34 (Ref:3342955)   #2
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you are meant to tell anyone, it is a "secret plan" known only to Mr Phelps.
As he said , they don't want to become like NASCAR, and have no commonality with road cars
Old 12 Dec 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3342956)   #3
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they will go back to ATCC. "Australian Supercars" wouldn't that well in NZ. Maybe "SuperTourers" would work. Have always said that V8supercars backed themselves into a corner when the came up with the name V8Supercars. Anyway there really isn't anything wrong with keeping the current engines and just changing the bodies.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3342958)   #4
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Sensible Mid Priced Family Sedan Series.

2018....Volvo fans go nuts on the mountain as the Volvo passes the Hyundai to lead the Great Race...
Old 12 Dec 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3342964)   #5
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could just easily go back to calling it the ATCC, most would just refer to it as the 'touring cars' instead of the 'v8s'.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3342967)   #6
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it would be a good idea to change the name to "Supercars", because if someone says "Supercar" I instantly think Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani etc not a touring car championship in Australia. The "V8" in front of it at least gave some distinction between the two.

If they are planning this move in order to switch away from V8's in years to come, it would be best to just run status quo with the current name and regulations for as long as possible, then overhaul it all in the future, possibly around the turn of the decade.

Touring car racing seems to be overhauled globally every 10 years or so over th last 30 or 40 years, so it wouldn't be too much of a shock to the system. You could argue, and the number of threads around this on here at the moment point to this, that V8 Supercars were a little overdue to make the move to COTF and re-invent themselves anyway, so another change in 5-6 years will be about right.

Personally I would be sad to see the current regs replaced with those similar to WTCC (even though I am looking forward to the new WTCC cars in 2014), and I believe a lot of supporters and spectators would walk away from the spectacle if they did this.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3342971)   #7
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV_08 View Post
Could just easily go back to calling it the ATCC, most would just refer to it as the 'touring cars' instead of the 'v8s'.
Problem with that is - whilst motor sport enthusiasts understand what a touring car is and the wonderful history of the ATCC no one outside of motorsport ever uses the term.

Just going to take the touring car down to the shops dear.....

Doesnt stop me from having the following awkward conversations:
Random: What you doing?
Me: Watching the touring cars.
Random: You mean the V8's?
Me: Yeah.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 01:31 (Ref:3342975)   #8
naca
Racer

Yeah, good point. Had to lol when saw that Lowndsy had picked up some "Best and Fairest" award, took a few minutes to realize it was the Barry Sheene award.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 01:42 (Ref:3342977)   #9
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Problem with that is -
I do see your point, but I don't really see it as a problem. Some of my earliest motorsport memory was stumbling across the BTCC in the early 90's and realising that it was pretty damn cool. I would only have been 8 or 9, but I managed to figure out what a touring car was and so I'm sure others can too.

Because of this I now hold the term "touring car" in high regard, probably higher than I should, but that's what happens when a series is truely great, as the BTCC was back in the 90's.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 01:54 (Ref:3342981)   #10
naca
Racer

I think they would have to rename it V8TCC for a while and then gradually phase it to ATCC again.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 02:09 (Ref:3342985)   #11
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's already the ATCC anyway, just get rid of the DC Comics PR title. 3rd biggest sport, hmm Phelps hasn't been to the soccer lately.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 02:25 (Ref:3342990)   #12
naca
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
It's already the ATCC anyway, just get rid of the DC Comics PR title. 3rd biggest sport, hmm Phelps hasn't been to the soccer lately.
Or the cricket, or the Rugby Union. V8SC is the 4/5th biggest sport at best.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 02:49 (Ref:3342991)   #13
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
Maybe they will go back to ATCC. "Australian Supercars"
Not much gonna be "Australian" about them either...

Not "Australian" cars
Not "V8" (for much longer)
Not "Supercars" (Volvo's and Hyundai's...) - Commodores and Falcons never really were either...

Hmmmm...

Prediction: Entire category to dissolve 2016/17. Something else entirely will rise from the ashes; same company, different name - incorporating the Australian Touring Car Championship (ATCC) and Australian Drivers Championship.

God knows what it will be called. To expand on what someone else said: "The reasonably priced, 4 cyl, economical, mid-sized, 5 star ANCAP safety rating championship"!

It will become a NASCAR/silhouette style championship, with control everything if it is to bear some semblance to what we have today. No matter what they say - these are facts.

Either that or we essentially revert to a GT production style championship with Class A, B, C, D.

Mark my words one of these will happen! 2016/17!
Old 12 Dec 2013, 03:04 (Ref:3342996)   #14
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are all forgetting that Phelps just makes everything up. He is an idiot. He knows it too.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 03:17 (Ref:3343003)   #15
mikuni
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
Or the cricket, or the Rugby Union. V8SC is the 4/5th biggest sport at best.
I think it comes down to the way V8SC counts the spectators as a new person every time they go through the gate (across 2 or 3 days), where as Rugby/League/Soccer can't do this.

I also laugh that Hyundai just becomes the generic brand name that brings down the championship name, despite the fact that they are not in it currently.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 03:18 (Ref:3343004)   #16
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
They said the third biggest national sport - by which he gets to exclude NRL which is only in 3 states and Rugby union which is in 4. It's still BS - AFL, Cricket, A-League are all ahead at the very least.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 05:23 (Ref:3343031)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is the problem with Phelps.

He is basically a PR writer for V8SA (pushing press releases and agenda's designed by V8SA).

He has no knowledge of the sport as highlighted by his comment about Australia's 3rd largest sport & fastest growing sport BS.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 05:31 (Ref:3343032)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A big 'no' from me to calling them Super Tourers. It's bad enough the NZ mob are using it.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3343117)   #19
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changing the name of the category wouldn't have been a problem if they had kept the branding of the series as the "Australian Touring Car Championship" as they did until 1999, and even the "Shell Championship Series" tag used until the end of 2001 wouldn't have caused an issue.....

Given they call it the "V8Supercars Championship" after the category name means they would always fall into some marketing trouble when a name change occured.

We went from Improved Touring to Group C to Group A to Group 3A to V8Supercars all under the one title, ATCC.

I still know alot of casual watchers who would know exactly what i was taking about if i said "the touring cars are on"

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
This is the problem with Phelps.

He is basically a PR writer for V8SA (pushing press releases and agenda's designed by V8SA).

He has no knowledge of the sport as highlighted by his comment about Australia's 3rd largest sport & fastest growing sport BS.
But but but, he wrote Dick Johnson's lastest biography, that must give him instant credibility

There are a few journos out there that seem to think V8Supercars walk on water and won't write a bad thing about them, Gordon Lomas comes to mind as well....
Old 12 Dec 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3343155)   #20
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why not Touring Cars Australia?
Old 12 Dec 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3343162)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I don't think it would be a good idea to change the name to "Supercars", because if someone says "Supercar" I instantly think Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani etc not a touring car championship in Australia
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Doesnt stop me from having the following awkward conversations:
Random: What you doing?
Me: Watching the touring cars.
Random: You mean the V8's?
Me: Yeah.
Well, that happens. Plus, there are plenty of touring car championships. The championship should have a unique name.

I still like Supertouring / Supertourers.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3343163)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just to be awkward, everyone I know up here who's interested in the series refers to them as 'Aussie V8s'.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3343233)   #23
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Just to be awkward, everyone I know up here who's interested in the series refers to them as 'Aussie V8s'.
Yep, same here.

Its funny, it seems like everywhere but Australia, everyone LOVES the V8's. You guys just don't realize what you've got.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3343304)   #24
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yep, same here.

Its funny, it seems like everywhere but Australia, everyone LOVES the V8's. You guys just don't realize what you've got.
Mate I know what we have got, a follow the leader series, that is heading for a time which is unknown. Holden v Ford that is red against blue, me against my mate, we are Aussies and not interested going to see maybe a couple of flacons and holden running against Mercedes, Volvos, Nissan and whatever they bring into the series. Generally the road going versions of some of these cars are priced that the average joe can only think of getting one someday.

So the new name for the series I think should be, Who Gives a Flying F..k, Aussie, USA and Europe 4 6 and 8 cylinder series.

Long Live the Bathurst 12 hour.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3343312)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not loving them as much as I did, some iffy management and the single chassis type thing is all a bit 'meh', but it's still much better than the British Dodgem Car Series.